AMCAS app strategy with Tufts vs. Cincy SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

v petrichor

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First off, I am super-pumped to have received acceptances to Tufts and Cincy's SMP! So ready to prove myself capable of medical school rigor.

I'm wondering which program I should choose and which application strategy I should adopt, and if it's dependent on the program. For example, Cincy's SMP seems to support same-year applications more, but does it really matter?

I made a comparison chart:
https://www.evernote.com/l/AaisjmL0jBBF2bV5gCBUN-N7vgQde6KHe2k

Options (for AMCAS):
1) apply this year, and then apply again if I don't get in: favored by Cincy SMP
2) wait for next year, and then apply: favored by Tufts SMP.

Issues of contention:
  • Cincy offers the stronger linkage (smaller program with great local reputation). I'd prefer to live in a city, but I know I am capable of fitting in various different settings.
  • I'm also assuming it'll be easier to "stand out" in the Midwest as Asian than along Eastern seaboard, as Asians are ORM; please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • I took the MCAT in 2014, so I wish to "protect" my score, which seems to encourage a same-year app. I'm almost done with PS and ready to submit primaries if need be, I'm just not sure if it's too much of a gamble to apply now when I may not have my strongest app.
Recent Cali graduate here with:
3.15sGPA/3.43cGPA
1 year of research, 150+ hrs of clinical, 2+ yr leadership, decent EC's if I say so myself
2014 MCAT, 35+
decent but could be better LOR's-- applied to SMP's with the strongest LOR's from my TA's, so my faculty LOR's are good but not great. I'm hoping to get stronger LOR's from the SMP programs.

As the applicant I am right now I rank D-level on Wedge's applicant rating system.

Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards applying two times in a row, if an "SMP year" is significant enough to change my application for adcoms. Also, it seems such a pity to not apply now when the med school app process is such a crapshoot anyway.

Both programs look amazing! It's so hard to choose.
 
First off, I am super-pumped to have received acceptances to Tufts and Cincy's SMP! So ready to prove myself capable of medical school rigor.

I'm wondering which program I should choose and which application strategy I should adopt, and if it's dependent on the program. For example, Cincy's SMP seems to support same-year applications more, but does it really matter?

I made a comparison chart:
https://www.evernote.com/l/AaisjmL0jBBF2bV5gCBUN-N7vgQde6KHe2k

Options (for AMCAS):
1) apply this year, and then apply again if I don't get in: favored by Cincy SMP
2) wait for next year, and then apply: favored by Tufts SMP.

Issues of contention:
  • Cincy offers the stronger linkage (smaller program with great local reputation). I'd prefer to live in a city, but I know I am capable of fitting in various different settings.
  • I'm also assuming it'll be easier to "stand out" in the Midwest as Asian than along Eastern seaboard, as Asians are ORM; please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • I took the MCAT in 2014, so I wish to "protect" my score, which seems to encourage a same-year app. I'm almost done with PS and ready to submit primaries if need be, I'm just not sure if it's too much of a gamble to apply now when I may not have my strongest app.
Recent Cali graduate here with:
3.15sGPA/3.43cGPA
1 year of research, 150+ hrs of clinical, 2+ yr leadership, decent EC's if I say so myself
2014 MCAT, 35+
decent but could be better LOR's-- applied to SMP's with the strongest LOR's from my TA's, so my faculty LOR's are good but not great. I'm hoping to get stronger LOR's from the SMP programs.

As the applicant I am right now I rank D-level on Wedge's applicant rating system.

Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards applying two times in a row, if an "SMP year" is significant enough to change my application for adcoms. Also, it seems such a pity to not apply now when the med school app process is such a crapshoot anyway.

Both programs look amazing! It's so hard to choose.
its been said numerous times that a gap year is the better way to go - reapplicants arent treated the same as initial applicants
 
First off, I'll say (as an Asian from Ohio who also lived on the East Coast) that Asians aren't treated any better or worse in the Midwest. That shouldn't be a factor.

Second, do you want to go to UC's medical school? If so, then the Cincy SMP is probably your best shot. Of course, students from Cincy go on to other medical schools, but the vast majority end up staying at UC. Tufts seems to have its students go to a wider variety of places.

Not sure if this matters, but I talked to admissions reps from a couple other schools in Ohio, and they prefer to see a full year of master's grades in your application if you choose to do a masters. While UC is set up to accommodate same-year applicants, other schools aren't going to see any grades from your masters program until December, at which point it's going to be late...if you want to go to another medical school, waiting until the year after your masters program to apply will (supposedly) make the most out of that year, especially if you have a solid year of strong grades.

Your 2014 MCAT will work if you apply during the 2016-2017 cycle.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
California, 3.15, 3.43. That says very very clearly that you are in no shape to apply before you have successfully completed an SMP year. You don't get any credit for being enrolled in an SMP. By the time your first semester grades are available, at best you'd get II's for the waitlist.

Cincinnati accepts a lot of its SMP students but Cincy also rejects a lot of its SMP students. You don't get to see the pre-SMP stats for those who do/don't get accepted. Do you want to bet on what characterizes the Cincy acceptees? Yup, pre-SMP stats.

I get it, you got the multiple SMP acceptance surge, you've got some validation (probably from your MCAT score) that med school isn't a stupid goal, med school seems like it's legitimately in reach, not so ridiculously far in the future. But you'd be wasting a huge pile of money and effort and time to apply before you have the successfully completed assets that might turn into some app season success.

All that said, the prudent plan here is to take advantage of your Cincy SMP acceptance, because that's a very small class, a reputable program, and a state that will let you make progress toward legal residency while you're enrolled in school, and a state that has a bunch of mid-low tier med schools that will give you instate tuition. And then you work your fanny off, consistently, all year long, and you get ready to apply MD a year from now.

Best of luck to you.
 
If I were you I would speak directly to the admissions directors at both medical schools to get a feel for where you stand, then talk to the program directors of both SMPs, then make a decision on where to go based on the feedback you receive.

Although there's been a change in admissions at UCCOM, you won't be able to see its effect until next year - when the current class applies with all of their masters grades.
There aren't too many programs that consistently get 85%+ of their graduates into medical school like the Cincinnati masters program, and until the success rate percentages have actually been shown to drop, I would give the nod to the Cincinnati SMP.

I don't know what you mean by "easier to stand out" as an asian, and if that's a good or bad thing.. but there are A LOT more asians and diversity in general, in the big coastal cities than in Cincinnati. In terms of admissions to medical school, there are relatively a lot of asians (from California) accepted at UCCOM as I'm sure there are at Tufts as well.
 
its been said numerous times that a gap year is the better way to go - reapplicants arent treated the same as initial applicants

First off, I'll say (as an Asian from Ohio who also lived on the East Coast) that Asians aren't treated any better or worse in the Midwest. That shouldn't be a factor.

Second, do you want to go to UC's medical school? If so, then the Cincy SMP is probably your best shot. Of course, students from Cincy go on to other medical schools, but the vast majority end up staying at UC. Tufts seems to have its students go to a wider variety of places.

Not sure if this matters, but I talked to admissions reps from a couple other schools in Ohio, and they prefer to see a full year of master's grades in your application if you choose to do a masters. While UC is set up to accommodate same-year applicants, other schools aren't going to see any grades from your masters program until December, at which point it's going to be late...if you want to go to another medical school, waiting until the year after your masters program to apply will (supposedly) make the most out of that year, especially if you have a solid year of strong grades.

Your 2014 MCAT will work if you apply during the 2016-2017 cycle.

California, 3.15, 3.43. That says very very clearly that you are in no shape to apply before you have successfully completed an SMP year. You don't get any credit for being enrolled in an SMP. By the time your first semester grades are available, at best you'd get II's for the waitlist.

Cincinnati accepts a lot of its SMP students but Cincy also rejects a lot of its SMP students. You don't get to see the pre-SMP stats for those who do/don't get accepted. Do you want to bet on what characterizes the Cincy acceptees? Yup, pre-SMP stats.

I get it, you got the multiple SMP acceptance surge, you've got some validation (probably from your MCAT score) that med school isn't a stupid goal, med school seems like it's legitimately in reach, not so ridiculously far in the future. But you'd be wasting a huge pile of money and effort and time to apply before you have the successfully completed assets that might turn into some app season success.

All that said, the prudent plan here is to take advantage of your Cincy SMP acceptance, because that's a very small class, a reputable program, and a state that will let you make progress toward legal residency while you're enrolled in school, and a state that has a bunch of mid-low tier med schools that will give you instate tuition. And then you work your fanny off, consistently, all year long, and you get ready to apply MD a year from now.

Best of luck to you.

All of your very good advice has dissuaded me from applying this cycle. Thank you for preventing me from making a very bad decision.
 
Tuft SMP graduate here. There is a TON of asians at Tuft so you're right about that. Agree with what those above me have said in terms of advice. If Cincinnati class is still small, you should pick that. The tufts one is great, but it's just a bit big and advising can be hit or miss as a result.

Would reiterate that you only get the full value of a SMP if you take the gap year. Only exception might be the tulane ACP...maybe?? If you feel you really need a SMP, focus on that for one year and then go all in and nail an acceptance in your first cycle. Also, I thought everyone had to take the new MCAT after this year's cycle anyways. Correct me if I'm wrong about that.
 
If I were you I would speak directly to the admissions directors at both medical schools to get a feel for where you stand, then talk to the program directors of both SMPs, then make a decision on where to go based on the feedback you receive.

Although there's been a change in admissions at UCCOM, you won't be able to see its effect until next year - when the current class applies with all of their masters grades.
There aren't too many programs that consistently get 85%+ of their graduates into medical school like the Cincinnati masters program, and until the success rate percentages have actually been shown to drop, I would give the nod to the Cincinnati SMP.

I don't know what you mean by "easier to stand out" as an asian, and if that's a good or bad thing.. but there are A LOT more asians and diversity in general, in the big coastal cities than in Cincinnati. In terms of admissions to medical school, there are relatively a lot of asians (from California) accepted at UCCOM as I'm sure there are at Tufts as well.

That's very reassuring to hear! I've talked with multiple other people and it seems like wherever I go, I can't really have a guaranteed medical school acceptance-- it's more about how well I perform there.

Cincy sounds more appealing by the minute. I'll have to see if I can fly out.
 
Tuft SMP graduate here. There is a TON of asians at Tuft so you're right about that. Agree with what those above me have said in terms of advice. If Cincinnati class is still small, you should pick that. The tufts one is great, but it's just a bit big and advising can be hit or miss as a result.

Would reiterate that you only get the full value of a SMP if you take the gap year. Only exception might be the tulane ACP...maybe?? If you feel you really need a SMP, focus on that for one year and then go all in and nail an acceptance in your first cycle. Also, I thought everyone had to take the new MCAT after this year's cycle anyways. Correct me if I'm wrong about that.

There is an exam policy PDF released by AMCAS with some schools accepting the old MCAT, but the admissions committees may change their minds anytime.

The Cincy class still seems small! If you don't mind, can I PM you with questions about how Tufts MBS is hit or miss?
 
There is an exam policy PDF released by AMCAS with some schools accepting the old MCAT, but the admissions committees may change their minds anytime.

The Cincy class still seems small! If you don't mind, can I PM you with questions about how Tufts MBS is hit or miss?

For what it's worth, I went to Cinci and interviewed at Tufts. On my interview day there were a lot of MBS people and they had nothing but good things to say about the support they got in Tufts' program. How that played out in terms of people getting in is a mystery to most.
 
There is an exam policy PDF released by AMCAS with some schools accepting the old MCAT, but the admissions committees may change their minds anytime.

The Cincy class still seems small! If you don't mind, can I PM you with questions about how Tufts MBS is hit or miss?

Sure, by all means.

Helpful Aye, Aye, that's true, and they do interview a fair number of the SMP class, but the tufts smp class is also very large so even if you do well, you could still end up in the cold. It's absolutely NOT a linkage program by any stretch.
 
Sure, by all means.

Helpful Aye, Aye, that's true, and they do interview a fair number of the SMP class, but the tufts smp class is also very large so even if you do well, you could still end up in the cold. It's absolutely NOT a linkage program by any stretch.

You use a lot of commas. I don't think I implied that it was a linkage program.