AMCAS changed my SES status?

Started by Cotterpin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Cotterpin

Gluconeogenesis Evangelion
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I was filling out my app, I said that I did not consider myself to be disadvantaged and now all of a sudden AMCAS is like, "No, you are disadvantaged." And maybe technically, according to their SES scheme, I suppose I am. One of my parents got laid off from their job years ago and has been on unemployment, the other one works an unskilled clerical job. But... I'm in my thirties. When I was growing up, we were solid upper middle class and my father had a very nice tech job. There were no disadvantages that stood in the way of my education or opportunities.

So I guess what I'm saying here is that I feel dishonest about being labeled SES 02 by AMCAS. Can I change it? Should I just not worry about it? Is this going to help my app? 😕
 
The SES option is dependent on the highest education achieved by either parent. If you were labeled EO2, your parent(s) have college degrees, but work in unskilled positions. This is irrespective of their actual income.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The SES indicator doesn't help nor hurt your app. It's used as an additional consideration when evaluating your application (consider the fact that someone without proper parental guidance re: college would have a disadvantage relative to students that did have guidance).

I suppose my point is that the SES indicator isn't subjective. Either you are, or you aren't...and you are.
 
I assisted a matriculating student in her 30s recently going into an ivy med school where their policy is to take parent's income into account until the student is 44 years old (yes 44). She received no school based financial aid because of it.

That's crazy.
 
Yeah you're false positive, the system is wrong! Down with affirmative action! Down with SES considerations! Down with the modern liberal generation's conceptions of justice! Thanks Obama

:smuggrin:
 
The disadvantaged indicator is automatically assigned to applicants based on AAMC-determined criteria and is different from being considered a disadvantaged applicant, which is confusing. The indicator is mostly used for statistical purposes rather than admission decisions.

Do not attempt to change it.