AMCAS Course Work Lecture and Lab Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theMazurka

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to add some courses in. I have read through this section of the manual, but this is still unclear.

I have lots of courses like this on my transcript:

HumAnatomy & Physiology IIw/Lb
Credit: 3.0 Grade: A

HumAnatomy & Physiology IIw/Lb
Credit: 1.0 Grade: A

One is for the lab portion and one is for the lecture portion.
So, I know I include two entries, but should I delete the "w/Lb" from the lecture entry and just write "HumAnatomy & Physiology II Lab" for the lab entry?

Second Question:

I also have courses like this:

Biolog Diversity & Designw/Lab
Credit: 4.0 Grade: A

Biological Diversity & DesignL
Credit: 0.0 Grade: SS

Do I create two entries for this as well? And again should I change the names to make it more clear? Do I check lecture and lab combined or lecture then lab respectively for the two entries?

Members don't see this ad.

List them as 2 separate entries. At my school I had "Physics W/ Lab and Physics W/Lab" despite one of them being physics lecture, the other being lab. Its fine. AMCAS will understand lol.

If there are 2 separate lines on your transcript, then you have to make 2 separate entries, which you know.
For each course entry you make, there is also a series of check boxes at the bottom of the page where you can select various attributes for the courses, one of which is "lab included" or something to that effect.
For the first example, I would enter it just as it's written for the course title, then in parentheses after put (Lecture only)/(Lab only) for the respective classes and NOT check the box for combined.
For the 2nd example I would put (Lecture+Lab) in the title, and check the box. Enter the second part just as it is with no changes, it'll drop out to the P/F section anyway and won't be an issue.

I had a weird transcript to enter and AMCAS was fine with me putting clarifications in parentheses, so long as the course title corresponded to the transcript.

Members don't see this ad :)
List them as 2 separate entries. At my school I had "Physics W/ Lab and Physics W/Lab" despite one of them being physics lecture, the other being lab. Its fine. AMCAS will understand lol.

So for my second question, with these entries:

Should I mark the first entry as lecture only or lecture+lab? And the second entry as lab only or lecture+lab?

If there are 2 separate lines on your transcript, then you have to make 2 separate entries, which you know.
For each course entry you make, there is also a series of check boxes at the bottom of the page where you can select various attributes for the courses, one of which is "lab included" or something to that effect.
For the first example, I would enter it just as it's written for the course title, then in parentheses after put (Lecture only)/(Lab only) for the respective classes and NOT check the box for combined.
For the 2nd example I would put (Lecture+Lab) in the title, and check the box. Enter the second part just as it is with no changes, it'll drop out to the P/F section anyway and won't be an issue.

I had a weird transcript to enter and AMCAS was fine with me putting clarifications in parentheses, so long as the course title corresponded to the transcript.

Hmm ok. That definitely answer my first question. There are buttons for lab only, lecture only, and lab and lecture though, so I'm still confused with my second question.

With these entries:

Which of those buttons should I click for these entries? They are separate entries, so that makes me think click lecture only then lab only... but they were graded together so that makes me think click lab and lecture.

Hmm ok. That definitely answer my first question. There are buttons for lab only, lecture only, and lab and lecture though, so I'm still confused with my second question.

With these entries:

Which of those buttons should I click for these entries? They are separate entries, so that makes me think click lecture only then lab only... but they were graded together so that makes me think click lab and lecture.
If they are graded together, then check the box for Lab/Lecture combined for the first one; it's both grades and all the credits so you need to mark it that way. Check lab only for the second - it's a dumb transcript line that will be ignored after verification, but you have to enter it up front.

Reactions: 1 user
So for my second question, with these entries:

Should I mark the first entry as lecture only or lecture+lab? And the second entry as lab only or lecture+lab?
Biology Diversity & Design

Biology Diversity & Design Lab

If they are graded together, then check the box for Lab/Lecture combined for the first one; it's both grades and all the credits so you need to mark it that way. Check lab only for the second - it's a dumb transcript line that will be ignored after verification, but you have to enter it up front.

Thanks a lot!

Clarification:
Some secondaries pull up your transcript entries and ask you to designate pre-reqs from your course entries. You want to have the one combined, graded entry flagged for that so as to not add confusion with a non-graded lab entry.

Update for anyone who cares:

Went with the above suggestions and submitted my application.

It was verified within the hour! Thanks guys.