AMCAS coursework problem (I'm sorry)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stormcloakdoctor

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was admitted to a certain program for high school and will be completing my B.S. a semester after my high school graduation this year (I'll explain this another time..) These courses were essentially "dual enrolled".

I'm having a big problem inputting my coursework and I can't find a solution on the AMCAS manual:

1) When adding a course on AMCAS, under the 'Year in School' option, I am only provided with the 'High School' option. The rest are grayed out. This is problematic, as I won't have the classifications of classes I took during my freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior years of college. What do I do? Doesn't AMCAS calculate GPA per classification year? It'd be bad if I listed them all under High School.

I was going to call AMCAS, but they're closed till Monday. And I already know whoever picks up the phone is gonna give me the nastiest attitude because that's who they are.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was admitted to a certain program for high school and will be completing my B.S. a semester after my high school graduation this year (I'll explain this another time..) These courses were essentially "dual enrolled".

I'm having a big problem inputting my coursework and I can't find a solution on the AMCAS manual:

1) When adding a course on AMCAS, under the 'Year in School' option, I am only provided with the 'High School' option. The rest are grayed out. This is problematic, as I won't have the classifications of classes I took during my freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior years of college. What do I do? Doesn't AMCAS calculate GPA per classification year? It'd be bad if I listed them all under High School.

I was going to call AMCAS, but they're closed till Monday. And I already know whoever picks up the phone is gonna give me the nastiest attitude because that's who they are.

Thanks

I mean....from what I'm hearing, you took all these classes during high school, yes? So that is the appropriate classification.

My apologies if I don't understand your question, but it seems HS is the correct classification for all these courses.

From the courses guide "The only available Year in School for courses taken before the High School graduation date you entered in the Schools Attended section is High School."

Couldn't you list your college separate from high school and add as if you were a non-high school student taking college classes?

I think you're in a pretty unique situation and calling AAMC would be the best bet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean....from what I'm hearing, you took all these classes during high school, yes? So that is the appropriate classification.

My apologies if I don't understand your question, but it seems HS is the correct classification for all these courses.

From the courses guide "The only available Year in School for courses taken before the High School graduation date you entered in the Schools Attended section is High School."

I suppose it does make sense when you put it that way. Thanks for the quote from the courses guide; I guess I don't have any option either way.

Couldn't you list your college separate from high school and add as if you were a non-high school student taking college classes?

I think you're in a pretty unique situation and calling AAMC would be the best bet.

I did list the college and high school separately. But because I haven't legally "graduated" high school yet (literally haven't stepped foot in the building in 3 years) it classifies everything under High School. Which is fine I guess. I just hope it doesn't disadvantage me in some minuscule way.

I did list the college and high school separately. But because I haven't legally "graduated" high school yet (literally haven't stepped foot in the building in 3 years) it classifies everything under High School. Which is fine I guess. I just hope it doesn't disadvantage me in some minuscule way.
I would think not. It is unique and impressive to get a BS at 18/19.

Reactions: 1 user

Did you do your entire HS at college? That's interesting.

AMCAS will tell you the same thing I am telling you
All the college courses you took before graduating HS are listed as HS
All the courses you took after graduating HS will be college
If you earned 90 credits in HS, then your first and only status in college will be senior
Your GPA Grid (see below) will only have 2 filled lines (freshman, sophomore, junior will be blank)
This the way that medical schools want to see it. They want to see your HS "college experience" separate from actual / regular college experience
So you GPA Grid will be 2 lines

View attachment 305743

Just wondering - how would adcoms view an application like this? It is very impressive, but will they be biased by a lack of "normal" college experience?

AMCAS will tell you the same thing I am telling you
All the college courses you took before graduating HS are listed as HS
All the courses you took after graduating HS will be college
If you earned 90 credits in HS, then your first and only status in college will be senior
Your GPA Grid (see below) will only have 2 filled lines (freshman, sophomore, junior will be blank)
This the way that medical schools want to see it. They want to see your HS "college experience" separate from actual / regular college experience
So you GPA Grid will be 2 lines

View attachment 305743

Excellent- Thanks for your reply.
I earned 119 credits while in HS, so next semester (this summer) will be my first and last one out of high school.

Just wondering - how would adcoms view an application like this? It is very impressive, but will they be biased by a lack of "normal" college experience?

It is a reasonable concern for them to have. But I think I have done more than enough outside of classwork to prove myself - perhaps I'll make a chance-me type thread later on. I'm also not applying to start right away; I'll be done with school in summer, but I will have until Fall 2021 before my hopeful matriculation (I'll be 19).

I've been offered a position in a trauma research lab, but with COVID-19, I may need to look for other gap year options.

I think it could go either way. It will depend on the perceived maturity of the applicant and the rest of the application- ECs, research , GPAs, MCATS, Outside activities and anything else the applicant brings to the table. If the OP receives interviews his performance will be heavily critiqued-maybe more so than others.

Reactions: 1 users