AMCAS Coursework

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hrdrck4evr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Easy question, probably been answered a million times, but I just need one answer from someone who is positive they are correct.

When entering the course names on AMCAS, do I write the exact name of the course as it is listed in the school bulletin or do I enter the name in general terms, such as the difference between "Elements of Physiology" and "Human Physiology"?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Easy question, probably been answered a million times, but I just need one answer from someone who is positive they are correct.

When entering the course names on AMCAS, do I write the exact name of the course as it is listed in the school bulletin or do I enter the name in general terms, such as the difference between "Elements of Physiology" and "Human Physiology"?

Thanks

write it exactly as it shows up on your transcript.

I am positive because I called them several times about this.

Enter it exactly how it is, unless the class name is abbreviated so much, you think that a medical school may not know what the title is: for example: My school listed Engl Comp Sc Issues as a class. Translation: English Composition: Social Issues.

It is absolutely ok to spell is out if it is unclear. However, do not change the title words to make it more clear.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a similar question to this one.

On the AMCAS it asks for both a Course Number and a Course Name.

On my transcripts the courses are listed in this format:

BIOSC 1A - Intro Biology

What exactly is the course "number" and what is the course "name"? I have been putting BIOSC 1A for course name, and leaving course number blank (and not putting the words "Intro Biology" anywhere), is that the correct way to list it? I cannot find a single example for what they mean by course number and course name on their website.

I have a similar question to this one.

On the AMCAS it asks for both a Course Number and a Course Name.

On my transcripts the courses are listed in this format:

BIOSC 1A - Intro Biology

What exactly is the course "number" and what is the course "name"? I have been putting BIOSC 1A for course name, and leaving course number blank (and not putting the words "Intro Biology" anywhere), is that the correct way to list it? I cannot find a single example for what they mean by course number and course name on their website.
Course number is "BIOSC 1A". Course name is "Intro Biology".

Course number is "BIOSC 1A". Course name is "Intro Biology".

Thank you.

For "credit hours", is that just the units that a course was? My school is the standard fall/spring semester setup. So for a 5 unit course, my "credit hours" would be 5.00?

One last question:

I received AP exam credit but it seems like my school lists them very awkwardly on my transcripts. This is how it looks:

EXAMINATION CREDIT

AP AP Biology Began 88 6.0

BIOL ELECT ( 3.0)

BIOL 10AP ( 3.0)

AP AP World History 3.0

HIST ELECT ( 3.0)

So, should I enter the information EXACTLY as it appears? For example:

Course number: "BIOL ELECT"
Course name: "AP AP Biology Began 88"

Course number: "BIOL 10AP"
Course name: "AP AP Biology Began 88"

Course number: "HIST ELECT"