AMCAS Disadvantaged Status Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ef2497ef

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My primary app was processed, and AMCAS designated that I wasn't disadvantaged. I received pell grants in college, had a majority of it paid for by financial aid, am a FAP recipient, and have parents that received bachelor's degrees but both work jobs unrelated to their degrees in retail or sales that never have brought in a great income. I needed to work about 20 hours/week in high school and part-time in college (I was lucky enough to get paid through my research) to finance some school activities and any hobbies like tennis. Will the fact that they didn't designate me disadvantaged hurt me at all considering I wrote about being low-income in my PS and was planning on it for some of my secondaries? I just don't understand what happened

Edit: My dad is a manager at a UPS store, and so I classified him as a general manager on my app. Could that have been it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The AMCAS SES Disadvantaged indicator is exclusively based off your parents education and occupation. Because both of your parents have BAs, you won’t be classified as SES Disadvantaged.

However, schools will see that you are a FAP and Pell Grant recipient.

There is a guide by AMCAS made for AdCom members for how to interpret an applicants full SES status, with the indicator you’re talking about just being 1 piece of that puzzle. If you care a lot about this, that guide can be found somewhere online.

I don’t think you have anything to be worried about.

The AMCAS SES Disadvantaged indicator is exclusively based off your parents education and occupation. Because both of your parents have BAs, you won’t be classified as SES Disadvantaged.

However, schools will see that you are a FAP and Pell Grant recipient.

There is a guide by AMCAS made for AdCom members for how to interpret an applicants full SES status, with the indicator you’re talking about just being 1 piece of that puzzle. If you care a lot about this, that guide can be found somewhere online.

I don’t think you have anything to be worried about.
Thank you so much for the clarification. I guess I just didn't know how much emphasis schools placed on the AMCAS designation vs. the other information I put down pointing to me being disadvantaged.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the clarification. I guess I just didn't know how much emphasis schools placed on the AMCAS designation vs. the other information I put down pointing to me being disadvantaged.

No problem!