AMCAS fee assistance fee per school after 20 schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chayadoing

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it different or the same for non-FAP applicants? If I apply to more than 20 schools, will waivers still be granted for secondaries (beyond 20 schools)?

Do the additional fees change whether a program is MD or MD/PhD, etc.?

I apologize for asking such a basic question but I've tried really really hard to look for information for the fee breakdown and can't find it.

(I have already been granted FAP approval, so please no discussion about the approval process in this thread...)

Members don't see this ad.

1) It's the same for non-FAP and FAP applicants. 40$
2) Waiver should still be granted for secondaries.
3) Not sure if the fees change since I'm not applying MD/PhD but I don't see why they would.

Is it different or the same for non-FAP applicants? If I apply to more than 20 schools, will waivers still be granted for secondaries (beyond 20 schools)?

Do the additional fees change whether a program is MD or MD/PhD, etc.?

I apologize for asking such a basic question but I've tried really really hard to look for information for the fee breakdown and can't find it.

(I have already been granted FAP approval, so please no discussion about the approval process in this thread...)
Yes, because schools can't see where else you have applied, so they don't know whether they are school #2 or #22! Of course, this doesn't work with AMCAS, so every school after #20 will cost you the $42 primary fee, per school. As with everything else, what MD/PhD secondary fees are, whether they vary from MD-only fees, and to what extent your FAP will be honored, will depend on each school's policy.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, because schools can't see where else you have applied, so they don't know whether they are school #2 or #22! Of course, this doesn't work with AMCAS, so every school after #20 will cost you the $42 primary fee, per school. As with everything else, what MD/PhD secondary fees are, whether they vary from MD-only fees, and to what extent your FAP will be honored, will depend on each school's policy.
Wait, so medical schools don't bill the AMCAS FAP like my doctors bill Medicaid? From descriptions on school websites it makes it seems like medical schools get reimbursed by the FAP. I'm worried AMCAS FAP will deny secondary application coverage for schools exceeding 20. What about CASPer? Do they get reimbursed? Will the AAMC FAP cover CASPer if I send results to DO schools as well as MD schools?

Wait, so medical schools don't bill the AMCAS FAP like my doctors bill Medicaid? From descriptions on school websites it makes it seems like medical schools get reimbursed by the FAP. I'm worried AMCAS FAP will deny secondary application coverage for schools exceeding 20. What about CASPer? Do they get reimbursed? Will the AAMC FAP cover CASPer if I send results to DO schools as well as MD schools?
Absolutely not. AMCAS reviews your application, and then approves it or denies it. Once approved, you receive the package of benefits directly from AAMC, which includes the AMCAS fee for up to 20 schools per cycle.

Neither AAMC nor AMCAS "reimburses" anything beyond that. What happens is that many vendors, such as many (but not all) schools, CASPer, etc., agree to waive their fees, in whole or in part, based on the fact that AAMC approved your FAP. You deal with each vendor separately. Nobody is submitting anything to anyone for reimbursement.

THIS is the only reason you will receive secondary fee waivers beyond the 20. It's because they are each waiving independently, and don't know about the others. If they did, they surely would limit you to 20, just like AMCAS does, and AMCAS would NEVER approve more than 20, for the same reason they limit you to 20 primaries!