AMCAS GPA Calculation question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10sai

not really
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I failed Chemistry-major level Organic Chemistry with a F for not showing up to class. And I retook it, getting a B.

I understand that AMCAS averages the two grades, but do they count the units for the two times I took it? For example, the class is worth 5 semester units. I took it twice, so do they look at it as 5 units or 10 units with the average grade attached?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been wondering about that too and if they do count it as 10 units, that's very weird to me. If you fail a class, you don't get credit for that class. I understand that they average the two grades but why would they count the classes as 10 units if you failed the first time? Does any one know?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been wondering about that too and if they do count it as 10 units, that's very weird to me. If you fail a class, you don't get credit for that class. I understand that they average the two grades but why would they count the classes as 10 units if you failed the first time? Does any one know?

Quality Points: Each class as a total of 4*credit hours "quality points" or GPA points. If you get a B+ (or a 3.33) it is 3.33*credit hours. You can calculate GPA = 4 * (Earned points / Quality Points).

Using this equation you want the Earned / Quality points as close to 1 as possible. If you fail a class you add 4*credit hours to Quality Points, but add 0 to earned points, lowering your overall GPA.

They're not counting the units, they're using the units as a multiplier to calculate grade points.

I like to think of it as them counting all "units attempted", excluding drops/withdraws since thats not a real attempt. If you attempt an entire course without dropping and get an F, you attempted those units you just don't get any grade points.

I'm in a similar situation. Just keep on trekkin! Only option you have is to do better in the future.

My understanding is that they average the two and it is 10 credits. Also don't worry about it too much, write about it in your personal statement or attach an addtional letter explaining why you got an F. If it was because a couple of absences because your professor has a strict policy most I think will understand. My institution also has a chemistry major organic, organic for pre-health students, and a lower level organic for nursing majors.