AMCAS GPA Calculation Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshto

Nervous&Neurotic
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last semester I took a course that did not count towards my degree--as I had received my degree the semester prior.

Considering that this was the only course I took that semester, and that it was a non-degree course, how will this one course effect my AMCAS GPA?
I didn't do as well as I would've like to.

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming it was a graded undergrad course, it'll count just like every other class (it'll show up as a post-bac class and it'll factor into your cGPA).

pretty much anything that is in your transcript, from any college or CC counts.

Members don't see this ad :)
how do they calculate overall GPA?

do they sum the gpa from all undergrad courses and divide by the number of courses?
or
do they take GPA from each year, sum them, and divide by the number of years?

I am just wondering how this course--a course that had nothing to do with my degree--will effect my gpa.

It makes no difference if it had anything to do with your degree... I took about 100 credit hours over what was needed for my degree (was a business major and changed halfway through) and unfortunately every course I took counts.

I am amazed sometimes at how people don't calculate their own GPA and don't know how to calculate GPA in general... I mean I have tons of friends that have no clue how their GPA is calculated and don't even try to pre-calculate it before applying to med school. Maybe it's my need to know every detail of my grade, I even used to project my GPA during a semester…

The way I do it is through an excel worksheet. I just type in all of my courses in one column (names of each course), all of the hours for each course in the next column (you know, like 3 for 3 credit hours), then the last column takes some math to figure out the grade points based on your letter grade. This is as follows:

A=4 grade points per credit hour (for instance, if you have a 3 hour class, you get 12 grade points for an A)
B=3 grade points per credit hour
C=2 grade points per credit hour
D=1 grade point per credit hour

Next sum each column and divide the total grade points (should be the bigger number) by the total credit hours. Remember for AMCAS they take all grades, even if you repeated a class. They break it down by year in college, but for the most part it is pretty much a cumulative thing, also you can do just your science GPA in the same way.