AMCAS GPA conversion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carleton College kid

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a french course my freshman year and got a B-, I took it again my sophomore year and got an A-, what is my actual AMCAS GPA for that class? Is it an average between the two?

Members don't see this ad.

the AMCAS GPA doesnt change at all...

for ur freshmen year u still have a B-

and for ur sophomore year u still have an A-

nothing changes....

AMCAS does break up ur college years to freshmen, sophomore and junior year....so my guess is everything else is the same ur non-science gpa might be higher in ur sophomore year...which is a good thing :D

Moe is correct. But why did you bother to retake? It was not a science course and the effect on your GPA is miniscule in 90+ credits! Did you get 3 credits for it twice? At almost all colleges the rule is, if you passed a course, even with a D, you cannot get credit twice toward the degree.
AMCAS will count the 3 credits twice if it shows on your transcript. At some colleges, the earlier take is removed from the transcript. Was it removed from yours?
Different colleges may have different rules about matters like this. It pays to ask at your own college what the rules are that apply to you and not blindly accept advice from students at other colleges, who may not realize the two colleges might have different procedures.

It is wise to read your college catlog which explains rules like this, or ask the department concerned and--heaven forbid--ask your premedical advisor! The grapevine, if that was what you paid attention to, sometimes produces sour grapes.

I am not beating up on you, just offering some good advice. College and the road to medical school are not free of landmines. You need an accurate map of the minefields.
Unless, of course, you prefer to live dangerously. I don't.

Members don't see this ad :)
at our school, if you retake a course, the low grade get removed from your transcript.

From AMCAS 2002 online help:

"You must include any course you have ever enrolled in at any U.S., U.S. Territorial or Canadian post-secondary institution, regardless of whether credit was earned. This includes, but is not limited to:

Courses from which you withdrew.

Courses for which you received a grade of "Incomplete" and for which no final grade has been assigned.

Courses that have been repeated.

Courses that you failed, regardless of whether they have been repeated.

Courses in which you are currently enrolled or expect to enroll in prior to entering medical school.

Remedial/developmental courses.

College-level courses you took while in high school even if they were not counted toward a degree by any college.

Courses taken at an American college overseas.

Courses removed from your transcripts or GPA as a result of academic bankruptcy, forgiveness, or similar institutional policies."

Rock on.