AMCAS GPA vs. School GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deuteronomy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey dudes and dudets,

What's the deal with the disclaimer or caveat saying AMCAS GPA may be different from your GPA...I've researched and couldn't find any insight into what they exactly mean.

My school operates with pluses and minuses.

Do they not take these into consideration when calculating AMCAS GPA....

Do they have different scales for the pluses and minuses (i.e B+ is worth 3.5 vs 3.3???)...

What's the deal? thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Deuteronomy
Hey dudes and dudets,

What's the deal with the disclaimer or caveat saying AMCAS GPA may be different from your GPA...I've researched and couldn't find any insight into what they exactly mean.

My school operates with pluses and minuses.

Do they not take these into consideration when calculating AMCAS GPA....

Do they have different scales for the pluses and minuses (i.e B+ is worth 3.5 vs 3.3???)...

What's the deal? thanks everyone!

It depends on how your school system works.

Where I went for undergrad, we were on a trimester system and each class was worth one "credit", whether it had a lab or not. We didn't use "units," and you needed 36 credits (ie classes) to graduate.

To calculate our GPA for AMCAS, classes are given a number of credits, which then modifies the GPA since lab classes count for more credits than liberal arts classes our AMCAS conversion.

Hope this helps shed a little light?

I actually took the time to play around with this. And turns out that its the same scale as the University of California system. My GPA didn't change.

Therefore it seems a B+ =3.3, C+ = 2.3 ,etc. A+ still counts as 4.0

hey, thanks sincerely for the insight. I see the light!