AMCAS - Institutional Action (IA) Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EDVbutnotHeartRelated

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am in the midst of preparing my application and came by the IA question and need some input if an incident I had with an old roommate qualifies as something I would need to report (please read before formulating your conclusions):

Briefly, I had a very negative experience with my freshman year Dorm roommate. We became former friends because I didn't like her personality or her cleanliness (lack thereof), and I eventually ended up "rooming" (i.e. sleeping over) with my friends who lived in other dorms about halfway through the year.

Several incidences occurred to our room after I "left" that involved getting her stuff "tampered" with (or vandalized) in some form which she would tell me about but I never witnessed (and, obviously, did not do myself). She didn't like the idea of me sleeping elsewhere than my room because she strongly disliked some of my friends and was very upset that I didn't want to be friends with her anymore (based on my actions -- we never had a talk about it), so she was convinced it was me doing these things to her, even though I did NOT, and I DID talk to her about being more protective of our room (that I wasn't sleeping in anymore) as a way to help with the situation.

Most important paragraph: During this whole 6 to 9 month ordeal, I had to talk to an assistant resident dean, someone at our school's Harassment handling office, and eventually the Resident Dean himself during my sophomore year AFTER we had moved out of that dorm to explain them my side of the story since the roommate was so convinced it was me. All in all, I was able to prove to each one through very thorough discussions that I was not involved in any of these incidences (not guilty!). Thus, I never received any actual disciplinary action, sanctions, or punishments, aside from having to attend these meetings.

Would this count as an IA incident for the AMCAs? No "conduct violation" on my end actually occurred even though I had to clear it up. Tl;dr -- crazy ex-friend roommate from freshman year tried to frame me for incidences that happened in our room and I ended up being summoned to an official personal meeting with the Resident Dean in the end to prove my innocence. No punishment or sanctions occurred. Basically, I did nothing wrong but had to prove it and it worked out in my favor since I never got punished.

I really appreciate the input. I just hope this stupid thing isn't something I would need to talk about since it was such a stressful thing to have to go through.

Members don't see this ad.

Nope...Sorry you had to room with king douche btw.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to be 100% sure you can look at an official copy of your transcripts. It would be reported there I believe. But from what you're saying you should be fine.

If you want to be 100% sure you can look at an official copy of your transcripts. It would be reported there I believe. But from what you're saying you should be fine.

Thanks for everyone's input so far. I truly appreciate it and feel relief.

I guess I'll order one for myself and see. It's not on my unofficial transcript for sure. If I remember correctly, the "case was dismissed" by the Resident Dean after our meeting, so I don't see any reason why this should even be mentioned on my official transcripts.

The rule of thumb here is:

Unless you went before some kind of judicial committee and/or or received a punishment. It isn't an IA.

Things that are IAs:
Cheating, Alcohol in Dorms, Theft, Vandalism.

Things that are not IAs:
Any kind of verbal warning, RA written Noise Warnings, Roommate disagreements (unless you are the aggressor), fire inspection warnings.

Anything that doesn't involve the student conduct office charging you isn't an IA

Reactions: 2 users
The rule of thumb here is:

Unless you went before some kind of judicial committee and/or or received a punishment. It isn't an IA.

Things that are IAs:
Cheating, Alcohol in Dorms, Theft, Vandalism.

Things that are not IAs:
Any kind of verbal warning, RA written Noise Warnings, Roommate disagreements (unless you are the aggressor), fire inspection warnings.

Anything that doesn't involve the student conduct office charging you isn't an IA

The meeting was "official" insofar as it was required of me to speak with that Dean and I was allowed to have an approved "lawyer" (an Associated Students advocate basically) present as support. It never went to a board (which was actually the next step) since the Dean decided to terminate the case. Thus, no sanctions occurred. So I guess by your post, it's still not an IA.

If the dean terminated the case, that is equivalent to charges being dropped. There isnt an IA here. Move on in your application and stop worrying about this

Thank you so much everyone! You all are the best! Unless anyone else wants to add anything, feel free to terminate the thread.