AMCAS Most meaningful question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BTC0821

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, so I have 2 of the 3 available most meaningful activities already selected, but I have a third one that I would like to check but am not sure if it would be a good idea to or not.

So I became an EMT in the fall and due to work and school, hadn't gotten a position until May. At this point, I have about 150 hours doing so and it will be the main thing I do until I (hopefully) get accepted to medical school. It is at a high-volume fire station that only takes emergency calls and so I've gotten a lot of good experiences that I could write about and with an interest in emergency medicine, I feel it could add a good bit to my app. However, since I began the experience in May 2018 and will be applying within the next week, I wasn't sure if making it one of my most meaningful activities would be a good idea or not since it hasn't been an activity I've been involved in for a long period of time in the way my other meaningful activities have been.

Any thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, so I have 2 of the 3 available most meaningful activities already selected, but I have a third one that I would like to check but am not sure if it would be a good idea to or not.

So I became an EMT in the fall and due to work and school, hadn't gotten a position until May. At this point, I have about 150 hours doing so and it will be the main thing I do until I (hopefully) get accepted to medical school. It is at a high-volume fire station that only takes emergency calls and so I've gotten a lot of good experiences that I could write about and with an interest in emergency medicine, I feel it could add a good bit to my app. However, since I began the experience in May 2018 and will be applying within the next week, I wasn't sure if making it one of my most meaningful activities would be a good idea or not since it hasn't been an activity I've been involved in for a long period of time in the way my other meaningful activities have been.

Any thoughts on this?
As a variant opinion (and isn't that what's great about SDN?): brevity of duration and low hours don't mean that an activity couldn't have provided you with a number of insights and had a significant impact on you. If it's meant a lot to you and you have a lot to say, go ahead and use this experience for a MM.

Reactions: 2 users
I would actually say it may also be helpful to know more info here -- What are your other two meaningful experiences? Are they medical/research related, or are they more personal? If you already have a clinical experience of some kind that you've done for a longer duration as one of your top 3, then I don't think it would really benefit you to add an additional clinical experience that you have not completed for nearly as long. However, if your other experiences would give adcoms an insight into you as a person and aren't as medically related, it would be nicer or more appropriate, I think, to mark this as meaningful since it would give you more space to reflect on a very meaningful medical experience.

I would actually say it may also be helpful to know more info here -- What are your other two meaningful experiences? Are they medical/research related, or are they more personal? If you already have a clinical experience of some kind that you've done for a longer duration as one of your top 3, then I don't think it would really benefit you to add an additional clinical experience that you have not completed for nearly as long. However, if your other experiences would give adcoms an insight into you as a person and aren't as medically related, it would be nicer or more appropriate, I think, to mark this as meaningful since it would give you more space to reflect on a very meaningful medical experience.

Adcoms here have said it’s more important to choose the most meaningful experiences that are actually the most meaningful to you rather that focus on having each of your MMEs be from different experience types. If OP has two clinical experiences that really meant a lot, there’s no reason to not include both.