AMCAS question regarding a volunteer position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mddo&beyond

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am volunteering with big brother big sister. I did not know which category to list this as because it could simply be non-clinical volunteer, leadership, or teaching. I was leaning at non-clinical, but thought I would ask to be sure!

Members don't see this ad.

I volunteered for a similar program and listed it as "non-clinical volunteering."

Reactions: 1 user
I am volunteering with big brother big sister. I did not know which category to list this as because it could simply be non-clinical volunteer, leadership, or teaching. I was leaning at non-clinical, but thought I would ask to be sure!
Unless you have many other hours of non-clinical volunteering to list, that is your best choice. If you have that category covered, pick Teaching, as voluntary mentoring falls into that category, too. This would not be leadership unless you are in charge if other BBBS volunteers.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you have many other hours of non-clinical volunteering to list, that is your best choice. If you have that category covered, pick Teaching, as voluntary mentoring falls into that category, too. This would not be leadership unless you are in charge if other BBBS volunteers.
Awesome, thanks! Hopefully not too big of a hassle, but one more question. Should I list research that was done during a class (ex: cell biology) that was a regular science prereq with lecture and lab? The research consisted of finding our own independent topic that could be experimented and then testing our hypothesis and creating a poster to present at our campus research symposium.
I have independent research as well, but I just did not know for these because I did present a poster.

Awesome, thanks! Hopefully not too big of a hassle, but one more question. Should I list research that was done during a class (ex: cell biology) that was a regular science prereq with lecture and lab? The research consisted of finding our own independent topic that could be experimented and then testing our hypothesis and creating a poster to present at our campus research symposium.
I have independent research as well, but I just did not know for these because I did present a poster.
You may list the research, even though you got class credit for it. The poster can be mentioned in the same space.

Reactions: 1 user