AMCAS questions- coursework, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frank Hardy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I posted these in another thread, but only one was answered :( so I apologize for taking up space with a new thread but the old threads when I searched didn't help much either.

These are my questions so far. Please be patient as I am not the brightest person when it comes to these things.

1. When listing AP courses do you list the name/# of the college equivalent. for ex. AP BIO is listed as 2 courses on the transcript

100 Biol. of Cells & org.
101 Populations and Comm.

I thought I should list them with these titles, omit the course # . Mark H.S. and check AP at the bottom. Is this ok?

2. Since some people may finish in 3 years they come in with sophomore standing b/c of AP credit sometimes. So when listing first year courses should we choose freshman under year in school or sophomore. (This follows for the other courses as well so just want to make sure).

3. I know this is dumb question
How do you classify a humanities writing class Fine arts? I don't see humanities as one of the options. What about foreign language?

4. When listing posters and publications what info. do you include.
Authorship?
Title of pub.?
Conference at which poster is presented?
What should we write under experience name?
If someone does multiple posters for instance should that be combined as one activity? Also multiple pubs listed under one activity?

Sorry for all the details but I appreciate anyone's help. I hope the answers to these will help others. It is better to know now than having our primary apps. bounced when it's too late.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1) List them how they are on your transcript, do not mark HS, and list your status as 'Freshman'. It says this in the instructions.

2) Your first semester should be freshman, unless you took actual college courses in HS. Then your second semester should start being a sophomore, and after that, just go by credits.

3) Writing classes go under English. Foreign Language has a separate category that starts with 'Foreign Languages'.

4) I don't know... list whatever it asks for.