AMCAS Submission: before or after MCAT scores received

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spygal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's recommended to submit AMCAS as early as possible, but does it make sense to submit it before receiving your MCAT scores? I would think 3 weeks wouldn't make a big difference, but any thoughts?? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

When exactly are you receiving MCAT scores? If I am not mistaken, even though you can submit your AMCAS June 1st, the schools don't download the information until July 1st.

spygal said:
I know it's recommended to submit AMCAS as early as possible, but does it make sense to submit it before receiving your MCAT scores? I would think 3 weeks wouldn't make a big difference, but any thoughts?? Thanks.

Are we talking April scores or August scores???? If April, then I'd say that you will be fine waiting for scores. If August, then waiting til October is generally really late in the game.

Members don't see this ad :)
wait for your score. You may need to explain poor performance, emphasize certain areas of your app to make up for bad score in one area, or change your tentative class schedule for next year so that you can say "well I am going to improve in that area because I am taking XYZ courses" Definiatly hold off. I had the same debate last year and I am glad I waited until I had my scores to submit.

I took the MCAT this April, so should be receiving scores about June 20. I plan on having transcripts sent and application ready to go by June 1, but I wasn't sure if AMCAS waited to release the applications until the MCAT scores are in received. I know this isn't the case for applicants taking the August MCAT; I just wasn't sure how soon applications submitted June 1 would be released to med schools.

Trail Boss said:
wait for your score. You may need to explain poor performance, emphasize certain areas of your app to make up for bad score in one area, or change your tentative class schedule for next year so that you can say "well I am going to improve in that area because I am taking XYZ courses" Definiatly hold off. I had the same debate last year and I am glad I waited until I had my scores to submit.

Ya, I was talking about people who took the april mcat, not the fall.

Definitely wait till you get your scores. I remember the ppl who submitted June 1st having an anyurism when they found out schools wont even look at your app till July 1st. As long as you get your app in soon after scores come out, you'll be verified and everything in time.

In that case I advise waiting for scores. Mid June is still extremely early in the game. 2 weeks doesn'tt make a difference when they don't even send secondaries until another 2-3 weeks after scores.

Its the August MCATers that are told to send everything right away so they don't get too late.

princessd3 said:
When exactly are you receiving MCAT scores? If I am not mistaken, even though you can submit your AMCAS June 1st, the schools don't download the information until July 1st.

True or False???????????????

i remember last year i submitted mine June 1st and was verified around June 13th...to be honest Im not quite sure why people do this other than not being able to fight the anal retentiveness...anyhow, I got my first batch of secondaries, from like 4 or 5 schools in the first week of July. Im wondering if I had waited till later in June if the secondaries wouldnt have come till later in July? or if they dont see the amcas till July 1st I would think it doesnt matter?

quantummechanic said:
True or False???????????????
True. I think it's a few days after July 1st, actually. Look up REL's (an admissions officer's) posts on the matter last Summer.

Wait for your scores, people. It'll give you a better idea of which schools to apply to, possibly saving you hundreds of dollars.

Its basically true. It changes every year, but not drastically. Last year the AMCAS opened up May 1st and this year it was May 2nd. Last year it was available for submission by July 1st, so this year it will around that time. If you try to submitt it now, it should actually tell you what date it will be available for submission.

doctajay said:
Its basically true. It changes every year, but not drastically. Last year the AMCAS opened up May 1st and this year it was May 2nd. Last year it was available for submission by July 1st, so this year it will around that time. If you try to submitt it now, it should actually tell you what date it will be available for submission.
I think you misread the question. Submitting is possible in early June. We were talking about when amcas transmits the data to med schools.

NapeSpikes said:
True. I think it's a few days after July 1st, actually. Look up REL's (an admissions officer's) posts on the matter last Summer.

Wait for your scores, people. It'll give you a better idea of which schools to apply to, possibly saving you hundreds of dollars.

Yup. Agree entirely.

I would definetly wait until at least mid june when you get your apps in... I submitted mine end of june and was fine, and def ahead of the game.

I'll ask REL what the date is this year, but I'd assume it wouldn't be much later then it was last year.

Thanks for all of the responses! When I applied the first time three years ago, I applied way too late (I wasn't completed until October). Now that I'm sure I want to go to med school, I want to be on top of things this time around. Thanks for the clarification on when the schools actually start looking at the applications.

gujuDoc said:
I'll ask REL what the date is this year, but I'd assume it wouldn't be much later then it was last year.

On target Guju -- the specific date hasnt been announced yet, but it will be toward the end of the first week in July again.

Kudo's to Napespikes and Brettbachelor for sending presenting last year's threads on the subject of completing applications early et al. Those who are applying for the first time this year should thoroughly review those two threads for good information. I wish you all well.