AMCAS volunteer position that is also on transcript.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medlife52525

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am applying this cycle and I have a once a week volunteer position (since this past year) mentoring students that I will list on my AMCAS and am submitting an LOR for. My issue is that this activity appears on my transcript for 1 credit each semester because the program coordinator couldn't otherwise file to give me school page admin access for the program (she is writing me an LOR stating that I am a volunteer). But since adcoms will see that credit on my transcript, will they think I'm trying to unethically classify a credit course as volunteer work? I put in a lot of time, but I'm worried how they'll view this..

Members don't see this ad.

You could label it as a “leadership-not listed elsewhere” activity and then specifically emphasize the volunteer part in the description

You could label it as a “leadership-not listed elsewhere” activity and then specifically emphasize the volunteer part in the description
I have 2 other long term leadership positions already though. Would adcoms read this and discredit it or would they not bother about the transcript part since the rec letter is there anyway?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 2 other long term leadership positions already though. Would adcoms read this and discredit it or would they not bother about the transcript part since the rec letter is there anyway?

In that case just list it as a non-clinical volunteer activity but acknowledge that you got 1 unit credit. One unit worth of credit isn’t even very valuable especially if you have a bunch of other units.

Reactions: 1 user
So I am applying this cycle and I have a once a week volunteer position (since this past year) mentoring students that I will list on my AMCAS and am submitting an LOR for. My issue is that this activity appears on my transcript for 1 credit each semester because the program coordinator couldn't otherwise file to give me school page admin access for the program (she is writing me an LOR stating that I am a volunteer). But since adcoms will see that credit on my transcript, will they think I'm trying to unethically classify a credit course as volunteer work? I put in a lot of time, but I'm worried how they'll view this..
You're fine to list this as an AMCAS activity, even though you got class credit for it. Mentoring is a form of Teaching, so you might consider adding it under that tag, rather than Volunteer, or Leadership (which implies peer leadership, BTW). If you are short on nonmedical volunteering, you could use a Volunteer tag instead, but mentioning the class credit in the narrative would maintain transparency. You did choose to take the class, after all.