AMCAS (Work & Activities) Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rukid95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still unclear as to how much writing I should target for each of my experiences. I have a well-thought out CV that has been revised numerous times and it very good in my opinion. I am wondering whether I can just use that to enter the descriptions for the different experiences/activities that I have been involved with. I understand that for my most meaningful I will need to provide the reasons why and include more details but I am more concerned with just the description of my activities. I have posted an example of one activity I have done and its description below.

Residence Assistant
· Representative for the Thomas residence hall and held responsibilities such as promoting activities & events for students living on-campus
· Attended weekly meetings involving planning of events and developing proposals regarding fundraising and sponsorship for planned activities

Is this a sufficient description or should I expand? My advisor said to try to be concise and short as adcoms will be looking at thousands of applications.

Members don't see this ad.

That looks good but I recommend adding how you grew as a person from that experience.

Reactions: 1 users
That looks good but I recommend adding how you grew as a person from that experience.

Thanks for the suggestion @MaxPlancker! Would you recommend that I write how I grew as a person for all activities regardless of whether I listed it as "Most meaningful"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the suggestion @MaxPlancker! Would you recommend that I write how I grew as a person for all activities regardless of whether I listed it as "Most meaningful"?
Yes if you have space I believe it is arguably more important than listing every little detail of what you've done. Others may have differing opinions but that's what I did and I had a great cycle. All the people I've reviewed for have also done that and they've done well.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes if you have space I believe it is arguably more important than listing every little detail of what you've done. Others may have differing opinions but that's what I did and I had a great cycle. All the people I've reviewed for have also done that and they've done well.

Great! Thanks @MaxPlancker! I have 1 more quick question to run by you. I have listed a couple awards I have received but there is no contact person for it. Should I list myself as a contact person? For dean's list, it states it on my transcript so I am sure they won't worry about that but the other award is not mentioned on my transcript.

I have listed a couple awards I have received but there is no contact person for it. Should I list myself as a contact person? For dean's list, it states it on my transcript so I am sure they won't worry about that but the other award is not mentioned on my transcript.
If they are collegiate awards, the Registrar can be used as a contact for all of them.