AMCAS (Work & Activities) Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rukid95

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am still unclear as to how much writing I should target for each of my experiences. I have a well-thought out CV that has been revised numerous times and it very good in my opinion. I am wondering whether I can just use that to enter the descriptions for the different experiences/activities that I have been involved with. I understand that for my most meaningful I will need to provide the reasons why and include more details but I am more concerned with just the description of my activities. I have posted an example of one activity I have done and its description below.

Residence Assistant
· Representative for the Thomas residence hall and held responsibilities such as promoting activities & events for students living on-campus
· Attended weekly meetings involving planning of events and developing proposals regarding fundraising and sponsorship for planned activities

Is this a sufficient description or should I expand? My advisor said to try to be concise and short as adcoms will be looking at thousands of applications.
 
That looks good but I recommend adding how you grew as a person from that experience.

Thanks for the suggestion @MaxPlancker! Would you recommend that I write how I grew as a person for all activities regardless of whether I listed it as "Most meaningful"?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the suggestion @MaxPlancker! Would you recommend that I write how I grew as a person for all activities regardless of whether I listed it as "Most meaningful"?
Yes if you have space I believe it is arguably more important than listing every little detail of what you've done. Others may have differing opinions but that's what I did and I had a great cycle. All the people I've reviewed for have also done that and they've done well.
 
Yes if you have space I believe it is arguably more important than listing every little detail of what you've done. Others may have differing opinions but that's what I did and I had a great cycle. All the people I've reviewed for have also done that and they've done well.

Great! Thanks @MaxPlancker! I have 1 more quick question to run by you. I have listed a couple awards I have received but there is no contact person for it. Should I list myself as a contact person? For dean's list, it states it on my transcript so I am sure they won't worry about that but the other award is not mentioned on my transcript.
 
I have listed a couple awards I have received but there is no contact person for it. Should I list myself as a contact person? For dean's list, it states it on my transcript so I am sure they won't worry about that but the other award is not mentioned on my transcript.
If they are collegiate awards, the Registrar can be used as a contact for all of them.