American dental hygienist in the UK.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ellii

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently attending college in the US, I really want to attend dental school in the UK. Does anybody know if an american can attend dental school in the UK? After studying in the UK what do I have to do in order to practice in the US, Canada and other countries? Which countries, cities, etc are the best places to practice in? Any recommendations on the best universities in the world to study? And which country is the best place to study? Places like Australia, United Kingdom, US, Canada; mainly english speaking countries. Any information is appreciated, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

If you get your DDS in a different country, you must take two additional years of schooling in order to practice in the USA regardless of the country you got your degree in, or how long you've been practicing. Not sure about Canada.

If you get your DDS in a different country, you must take two additional years of schooling in order to practice in the USA regardless of the country you got your degree in, or how long you've been practicing. Not sure about Canada.

Thank you. I am just about certified in the US, I just wish to continue studying over seas. For now all I want to do is be a hygienist...if I'm certified here can I take a test to get certified over there and then continue my education?

Members don't see this ad :)
So you are a dental hygienist? If so, I've heard that the UK is one of the hardest European countries in which to get licensed. I believe you have to have a hygiene degree from a UK school. You would have an easier time in Switzerland or Germany with a US degree.

Try this website:

http://www.ifdh.org/

Last edited:
It's tough gaining admission for the 2-yr international student program at a U.S. dental school. The spots are limited (typically 10-15 spots) with a ton of experienced dentists from China and India applying. Some people who try this route will get a rude awakening and regret not applying to dental school normally instead of going overseas.

It's tough gaining admission for the 2-yr international student program at a U.S. dental school. The spots are limited (typically 10-15 spots) with a ton of experienced dentists from China and India applying. Some people who try this route will get a rude awakening and regret not applying to dental school normally instead of going overseas.
+1. Why make it harder on yourself?

people are so arrogant. why can't someone just answer the question without accusing Ellii?

There is a two parts exam to take for american trained dentists who wish to practice in the UK. you are asked to practice under the supervision of another dentist for a year, before you can practice on your own. unless, you can prove that you had previous clinical training. This is all for dentists though.

I'd assume it is easier for hygienist to transition.

I'm still not sure if I really want to grow old here in California.

Last edited:
people are so arrogant. why can't someone just answer the question without accusing Ellii?

There is a two parts exam to take for american trained dentists who wish to practice in the UK. you are asked to practice under the supervision of another dentist for a year, before you can practice on your own. unless, you can prove that you had previous clinical training. This is all for dentists though.

I'd assume it is easier for hygienist to transition.

I'm still not sure if I really want to grow old here in California.
Reciprocity from the US to the UK in hygiene is not so simple. The OP can follow my previous link for info.