WAMC hygienist low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rdh2020violet

Reaction score
Date of submission: 6/11/23
Overall GPA: 3.33
Science GPA: 3.29
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.3
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 21AA/22PAT/26RC/21OC/19GC/20BIO/20QR
State of Residence:

Undergrad Attended: hygiene school associates degree at a dental school and a small private school for bachelors
Major: Interdisciplinary Studies
Minor: chem and science
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes. I have been a hygienist for 4 years

Shadowing Experience: around 300 including ortho, general, pedo, and dental anesthesia
Volunteering Experience: 1000+ from local free clinic, 2 pop up free clinics, big brothers big sisters (2 hours weekly over 2.5 years)
Employment: full time hygienist (part time during classes) for 4 years
Research: I took an independent research course where I did genetics research. No publications
Other Extracurriculars: president of student dental hygienist assoc, president of hygiene class, created predental club, secretary of bio club
Relevant Honors or Awards: research award from my school
LOR type and strength: 2 from hygiene professors, one from faculty dentist, one from bio prof. Should be strong
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I taught art classes at a private school camp. My major is interdisciplinary studies because it allowed me to count some of my hygiene credits as electives.

Applied to: UNE, Pitt, VCU, WVU, LECOM, Kentucky, Buffalo

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission: 6/11/23
Overall GPA: 3.33
Science GPA: 3.29
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.3
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 21AA/22PAT/26RC/21OC/19GC/20BIO/20QR
State of Residence:

Undergrad Attended: hygiene school associates degree at a dental school and a small private school for bachelors
Major: Interdisciplinary Studies
Minor: chem and science
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes. I have been a hygienist for 4 years

Shadowing Experience: around 300 including ortho, general, pedo, and dental anesthesia
Volunteering Experience: 1000+ from local free clinic, 2 pop up free clinics, big brothers big sisters (2 hours weekly over 2.5 years)
Employment: full time hygienist (part time during classes) for 4 years
Research: I took an independent research course where I did genetics research. No publications
Other Extracurriculars: president of student dental hygienist assoc, president of hygiene class, created predental club, secretary of bio club
Relevant Honors or Awards: research award from my school
LOR type and strength: 2 from hygiene professors, one from faculty dentist, one from bio prof. Should be strong
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I taught art classes at a private school camp. My major is interdisciplinary studies because it allowed me to count some of my hygiene credits as electives.

Applied to: UNE, Pitt, VCU, WVU, LECOM, Kentucky, Buffalo
how did you come up with this school list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Vicinity to where I live and I am interested in practicing rural. A lot of these schools focus on rural outreach
Okay. That is a little clearer.

Look for schools that also have DH programs and AEGD programs for rural health. See if there is a nearby AHEC or FQHC. You should consider HPSP or NHSC to help with costs.

Okay. That is a little clearer.

Look for schools that also have DH programs and AEGD programs for rural health. See if there is a nearby AHEC or FQHC. You should consider HPSP or NHSC to help with costs.

I am definitely planning on applying for NHSC!

Reactions: 1 user
What classes did they accept on your application? I am also a dental hygienist and am applying next cycle. I have an average GPA but I had a 4.0 in dental hygiene school that would boost my GPA.