American PsyD moving to Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyDCalifornia12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am currently completing my pre-doctoral internship and will receive my PsyD in Clinical Psychology this July. I have done all of my training in California, but I am planning on moving to Australia in August with hopes of getting licensed (or as they say, registered) as a psychologist there. I have spent time on the Psychology Board of Australia's website, and have examined the links and FAQs regarding overseas applicants. I am wondering if anyone on here has obtained a PsyD in the States and gotten registered in Australia. How long does the entire process tend to take? Did anything surprise you along the way? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It’s a PITA.

The verification of training can take months. A friend moved there, though she was already fully licensed in the USA, so i’m not sure if they have post-doc requirements and what would be needed. It took her many months and many hoops to finally be registered. She had to have proof of every doctoral class taken w. syllabi, copies of her didactics for internship, endorsement/letters of reference, etc.

I’m not sure what else she had to complete, but it was far more involved than anything here in the States for someone from an APA-acred program, APA-acred internship, and formal fellowship at a brand name AMC. God help someone who strays from that path.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s a PITA.

The verification of training can take months. A friend moved there, though she was already fully licensed in the USA, so i’m not sure if they have post-doc requirements and what would be needed. It took her many months and many hoops to finally be registered. She had to have proof of every doctoral class taken w. syllabi, copies of her didactics for internship, endorsement/letters of reference, etc.

I’m not sure what else she had to complete, but it was far more involved than anything here in the States for someone from an APA-acred program, APA-acred internship, and formal fellowship at a brand name AMC. God help someone who strays from that path.

Thank you for this! I'll definitely go prepared with copies of syllabi, hour logs, letters of rec, etc. Thankfully, my program and internship are both APA-accredited. When you say months, do you know approximately how many months? Are we talking 3-4 months, or closer to a year?

Thank you for this! I'll definitely go prepared with copies of syllabi, hour logs, letters of rec, etc. Thankfully, my program and internship are both APA-accredited. When you say months, do you know approximately how many months? Are we talking 3-4 months, or closer to a year?
I think it was closer to 3-4mon, but talking to their licensing board about the timeline would give you a better idea what is most common.