American Student Dental Association???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I went to a few of my school's meetings, but never joined.

what so good about ASDA? How do they "sell" you the membership?

Members don't see this ad :)
ASDA - some schools include the cost of ASDA membership in the fees that are mandatory so they can claim to have a high membership rate. Other schools are not as active and membership is optional. I happen to go to a school that likes the fact that everyone is a member.

ASDA is basically a association that helps fight for our rights as students. The school reps have meetings multiple times per year at various places like Boston, San Fran, etc. They meet with big wigs and lobbyists who help fight for us.

Pre-dents can join. Is it worth the money? Personally, I think not unless you want to help support ASDA. It can add a bullet to your application showing you are an active member of a dental association.

I sent the money in for a year membership. You get a book and access to their newsletters, which were interesting. There's really nothing else you get from being a pre-dent member, though. My undergrad's pre-dental ASDA just works closely with the dental school's ASDA, but we get no support from the organization monetarily. They didn't ask for more money to renew my membership, so I didn't pay again. It was ok while I had the subscriptions. *shrugs*

I sent the money in for a year membership. You get a book and access to their newsletters, which were interesting. There's really nothing else you get from being a pre-dent member, though. My undergrad's pre-dental ASDA just works closely with the dental school's ASDA, but we get no support from the organization monetarily. They didn't ask for more money to renew my membership, so I didn't pay again. It was ok while I had the subscriptions. *shrugs*
What book did you get? What is it about? Thx!

What book did you get? What is it about? Thx!

It's just a handbook that gives you a summary of how to apply, some stuff on financial aid. There is also an abbreviated guide to dental schools, like the ADEA's official guide, but not as good.

It's just a handbook that gives you a summary of how to apply, some stuff on financial aid. There is also an abbreviated guide to dental schools, like the ADEA's official guide, but not as good.
So people pay $50 for nothing? ADEA official guide is only $35.

A friend got rejected from UoP and they sent her some info about reapplying. It seems that they want her to get a membership from ASDA. Do ASDA members have a (little bit) better chance to get accepted?

Thx!

For $50 you can join the reapply2007 predental society. It comes complete with LOR and a personalized response to your PM. Cash only.

A friend got rejected from UoP and they sent her some info about reapplying. It seems that they want her to get a membership from ASDA. Do ASDA members have a (little bit) better chance to get accepted?

Thx!

No, you *do* get stuff. You get access to two magazine subscriptions and all of their back issues online. The articles were good--sometimes I wish I could still go back to read them. The handbook just wasn't anything fancy.

For $50 you can join the reapply2007 predental society. It comes complete with LOR and a personalized response to your PM. Cash only.
You can also join ddstobe predental VIP club, $50 as well. ;)

Thx!

Does anyone know if it somewhat helps you get accepted?

I was just talking to a dental student the other day who works with the adcom at her school, and she said it looks good to be a member. She said her school definitely notices it. Pre-dents don't get much out of it, but she said it shows that you're committed to the dental community.

i'm an ASDA pre-dental member. I think it's totally worth the 50 bucks. The ASDA news and Mouth Journals are very cool to read, especially being able to surf the archives back to like 1999, that's a LOT of information.

10% discount on Kaplan DAT NBDE stuff
10% on Tmobile
ASDA book store discounts on Barnes&Noble online

It really opens you up to a wealth of information, and reading Mouth/ASDA news puts you in touch with the dental community.

I think you get discounts to CE while in school as well as a member

I am a pre-dent member for three years and I think it is helpful. ASDA's monthly journals allow me to stay abreast with issues facing dental students and communities across the nation, good background knowledge for interviews. I think it is a good investment.

Last edited:
I was a part of ASDA for a little more than 2 years and I can tell you that being a part of it has its benefits. I know our asda was active in participating in dental events all across town. Also, it gives you a chance to get to know people that are on the same boat as you. If you do have any problems or concerns, the officers or your fellow peers can help you in any way they can.

I am a member. Primarily, I joined so I would have something sparkly to put on my application. I enjoy the monthly newsletters a lot -- it's always a nice surprise to receive them in the mail. I like to read the articles and think, "I could totally write for this publication when I'm a dental student!" (personally, I don't think most of the contributors did outstandingly well on the RC section of the DAT, if you know what I'm sayin'!) It has an odd way of motivating me.

They pitch membership to pre-dents here:

http://www.asdanet.org/predentalmembership.aspx

(the OP's 2007 link doesn't work anymore.)