American University of Antigua

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marli33

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
\

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you considered a career in sales?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 6 users
:corny:

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
s

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, AUA graduates can practice in most states (including CA and NY). Kansas has some requirement where the school has to operate for 15(?) years to be approved, so I'm not sure AUA graduates can practice/be recognized in Kansas yet. I don't think AUA graduates can do rotations in NJ, but I think they can be licensed there. You need to look up other states' specific requirements; these are just the ones that I'm pretty sure of.

You will likely have issues securing a residency, especially a competitive one. But if you can get a residency, I don't think you'll have too many issues securing a license or actually practicing.

Plastic surgery and dermatology are insanely competitive, and you're choosing a Caribbean school. I would not be optimistic for your chances securing a residency in either of these fields. Think primary care or family medicine.

IMO, the fact that you're too lazy/not willing to study for the MCAT is troubling, especially in a career this demanding and difficult to pursue.

Caribbean schools are diploma mills and are a very poor investment. Think carefully before you do this.

Good luck.

Reactions: 8 users
Hi all,

I am thinking of applying to AUA next year. The reason for it is i am 26 years old now and i don't want to spend time to study Mcat. AUA does not consider mcat.

So my questions are;

Is it school approved in all 50 states?
Will i have any issues regarding license in the future or after graduating?
I am considering plastic surgery or dermatology, will i find a good placement?

Also i know there are multiple threads about this school but it is not up to date or does not answer my questions.

Thanks in advance.
I really hate people like you.. Dumb comments

if you want to be a doctor in the US, apply to and matriculate at a US medical school.

Reactions: 5 users
f

Last edited:
1. You will NEVER get a plastic surgery spot.
2. You may or may not have incredible difficulty in usmle exams.
3. I know people who went to AUA, didnt turn out well for them .
4. Seriously, you should reconsider your goals if taking tests is not for you.

Reactions: 7 users
d

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am thinking of applying to AUA next year. The reason for it is i am 26 years old now and i don't want to spend time to study Mcat. AUA does not consider mcat.

So my questions are;

Also i know there are multiple threads about this school but it is not up to date or does not answer my questions.

Thanks in advance.
You dont want to spend time taking a standardized test for medical school admissions, yet you want to go into competitive residencies that US MD schools have a hard time matching into.

Back in my day, trolling was an art form.

Reactions: 2 users
v

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
why are you considering carribean schools? I'm not asking this to be rude but I want to know why you'd consider applying there over MD/DO. You're chances of matching derm or plastics are essentially non-existent from a carribean school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
You don't want to take the MCAT and therefore you are looking at AUA ... but even if you do take the MCAT you are looking at SGU? Doesn't make much sense unless there are other issues with your application.

why are you considering carribean schools? I'm not asking this to be rude but I want to know why you'd consider applying there over MD/DO. You're chances of matching derm of plastics are essentially non-existent from a carribean school.
Low gpa.. to be exact, my brother got diagnosed with cancer and i have to support him. So i worked 30 hours a week and attended school at the same time which hurt my gpa.. I have 3.2 now and did not take any science course yet. But i am pretty sure i can get A's and B's in science courses.

You don't want to take the MCAT and therefore you are looking at AUA ... but even if you do take the MCAT you are looking at SGU? Doesn't make much sense unless there are other issues with your application.
Low gpa.. to be exact, my brother got diagnosed with cancer and i have to support him. So i worked 30 hours a week and attended school at the same time which hurt my gpa.. I have 3.2 now and did not take any science course yet. But i am pretty sure i can get A's and B's in science courses.

Take the MCAT and apply to DO schools. It is a much better option. BTW you cant discard educational loans in bankruptcy.

Reactions: 4 users
The point here isn't that there are successful Carib grads. The point is how many additional obstacles to success you face by going to a Carib school.

The pool of US applicants from the Caribbean is viewed differently by Program Directors. The DDx for a Caribbean grad is pretty off-putting: bad judgment, bad advice, egotism, gullibility, overbearing parents, inability to delay gratification, IA's, legal problems, weak research skills, high risk behavior. This is not to say that all of them still have the quality that drew them into this situation. There is just no way to know which ones they are. Some PD's are in a position where they need to, or can afford to take risks too! So, some do get interviews.

Bad grades and scores are the least of the deficits from a PD's standpoint. A strong academic showing in a Caribbean medical school does not erase this stigma. It fact it increases the perception that the reason for the choice was on the above-mentioned list!

Just about everyone from a Caribbean school has one or more of these problems and PDs know it. That's why their grads are the last choice even with a high Step 1 score.

There was a time when folks whose only flaw was being a late bloomer went Carib, but those days are gone. There are a number of spots at US schools with grade replacement for these candidates.

It's likely you'll be in the bottom half or two thirds of the class that gets dismissed before Step 1. The business plan of a Carib school depends on the majority of the class not needing to be supported in clinical rotations. They literally can't place all 250+ of the starting class at clinical sites (educational malpractice, really. If this happened at a US school, they be shut down by LCME or COCA, and sued.

The Carib (and other offshore) schools have very tenuous, very expensive, very controversial relationships with a very small number of US clinical sites. You may think you can just ask to do your clinical rotations at a site near home. Nope. You may think you don't have to worry about this stuff. Wrong.

And let's say you get through med school in the Carib and get what you need out of the various clinical rotation scenarios. Then you are in the match gamble. I don't need to say a word about this - you can find everything you need to know at nrmp.org.

You really need to talk to people who made it through Carib into residency, and hear the story from them. How many people were in their class at the start, how many are in it now? How long did it take to get a residency, and how did they handle the gap year(s) and their student loans? How many residencies did they apply to, how many interviews did they get, and were any of the programs on their match list anything like what they wanted?

In short, these schools engage in educational malpractice. They can and do, out and out lie about their stats. They prey upon the desperate and the gullible. A little light reading:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ibbean-medical-schools.1140696/#post-16561790

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/questions-about-carribean-med-school.1019348/#post-14242055

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...urgery-residency.1075141/page-2#post-15292070

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-medical-schools.1089631/page-2#post-15538700

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-doctors-into-1st-year.983102/#post-13659333

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...an-screw-you-over.905470/page-2#post-12419799

This is much better reply. can you be more specific? What is the reason for that?

Reactions: 1 user
3.2 isn't the end of the world, especially since you still have ~2 years worth of science courses that could help improve your GPA. Can you even matriculate to carribean schools without science courses? Medicine is not a career you want to take any shortcuts for and it sounds like you're pretty hardworking if you could maintain a decent GPA while going through all of that.

Take the MCAT and apply to DO schools. It is a much better option. BTW you cant discard educational loans in bankruptcy.
My dad is in the army so the veterans education benefits will be applied to pay the school. So 0$ out of my pocket

My dad is in the army so the veterans education benefits will be applied to pay the school. So 0$ out of my pocket

I think you should start by taking the science pre requisites and the MCAT. You need to see if you can handle the coursework/somewhat enjoy it before you even think of applying to any medical school

WTF are you talking about? Veteran's children dont get free tuition.

With the need for two years of science prereqs, and the prospect of strong upward grade trend. That and a reasonable MCAT and good EC can still be competitive for MD as well as DO. Your issue though seem to be the belief that at 26 you are getting too old for medical school. About 5% of all MD first year students are over 30 (about 1100 a year) and 1% are 35 and older (so 200). I have several examples both of MD and DO either deans of medical schools or leadership in national medical associations who did not start medical school until late 20's to mid-30s. And I have at least several hundred over the past 15 years that I know of from my work in OldPreMeds.org. So take the age out of your consideration

as I've said often, before considering any offshore school applicant must go through at least two application cycles for both MD and DO with at least a year break in between (ie skip a cycle) for application repair and/or enhancement. the break is necessary to analyze and understand the weaknesses in an application. Repair may be as simple as reorganizing rewriting application or it may require postbacc, SMP, MCAT, or additional extracurricular such as clinical volunteering and other items. I strongly advise that no student should consider off shore schools until the above has been done.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes they do.. under gi bill chapter 33 9/11

Maybe not; depends if benefits were transferred correctly while still on active service

Transfer Post-9/11 GI Bill to Spouse and Dependents
The transferability option under the Post-9/11 GI Bill allows Servicemembers to transfer all or some unused benefits to their spouse or dependent children. The request to transfer unused GI Bill benefits to eligible dependents must be completed while servicing as an active member of the Armed Forces. The Department of Defense (DoD) determines whether or not you can transfer benefits to your family. Once the DoD approves benefits for transfer, the new beneficiaries apply for them at VA

Maybe not; depends if benefits were transferred correctly while still on active service

Transfer Post-9/11 GI Bill to Spouse and Dependents
The transferability option under the Post-9/11 GI Bill allows Servicemembers to transfer all or some unused benefits to their spouse or dependent children. The request to transfer unused GI Bill benefits to eligible dependents must be completed while servicing as an active member of the Armed Forces. The Department of Defense (DoD) determines whether or not you can transfer benefits to your family. Once the DoD approves benefits for transfer, the new beneficiaries apply for them at VA

Yeah thats what i am using now.. my dad transferred it to me.

With the need for two years of science prereqs, and the prospect of strong upward grade trend. That and a reasonable MCAT and good EC can still be competitive for MD as well as DO. Your issue though seem to be the belief that at 26 you are getting too old for medical school. About 5% of all MD first year students are over 30 (about 1100 a year) and 1% are 35 and older (so 200). I have several examples both of MD and DO either deans of medical schools or leadership in national medical associations who did not start medical school until late 20's to mid-30s. And I have at least several hundred over the past 15 years that I know of from my work in OldPreMeds.org. So take the age out of your consideration

as I've said often, before considering any offshore school applicant must go through at least two application cycles for both MD and DO with at least a year break in between (ie skip a cycle) for application repair and/or enhancement. the break is necessary to analyze and understand the weaknesses in an application. Repair may be as simple as reorganizing rewriting application or it may require postbacc, SMP, MCAT, or additional extracurricular such as clinical volunteering and other items. I strongly advise that no student should consider off shore schools until the above has been done.
Good advice.. will consider.

Here is my opinion. Take science classes, take the mcat, go to an MD or DO school in america. You are not being clever by avoiding the mcat. You are not being clever by not going to school in america. I know this for a fact. YOU WILL NEVER BE A PLASTIC SURGEON IF YOU GO TO THE CARIBBEAN.

I think you need to do some serious legwork before continuing down the path you're on. First, see if you are willing to financially commit and/or verify your coverage under the GI bill. I added a link below that you may or may not find useful... seems like you may get a mighty chunk covered, but not the whole thing... and medical school is EXPENSIVE. Your coverage may also vary depending on where you go? Not sure. Take an active role in your future and fact check and follow up on issues that are as large as medical school tuition and don't look for numbers that you like and stop there. Second, if that pans out and you want to move forward, take some science courses and see if you enjoy and can do well in them. Third, if derm and plastic surgery are what you want, you gotta take the MCAT and be reasonable about where you apply. I wish you the best!

May or may not be helpful, definitely don't know or pretend to know how it works: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...-cost-credit-or-states-most-expensive.703177/

So you're too lazy to study for and take the MCAT, but you think you won't be too lazy to put in a year of work to study for and do well in science courses, followed by four years of difficult exams including the USMLEs, which are difficult standardized tests that most med students take weeks to prepare for outside of all the courses?

You're the exact type of person these schools prey on. They suck you in with a quicker route to being a doctor, but you will be dismissed after the first year when you aren't up to their standards, just like 50% of all their matriculants.

Reactions: 1 users
This is the story as I understand it so far:

- OP does not want to study for the MCAT
- OP would consider SGU if s/he took the MCAT, though.
- OP has yet to take a science class
- OP only wants Derm or Plastics
- This was his/her first post, because there just wasn't a single answer to any of these basic questions to be found anywhere on SDN.

@marli33 please correct me if I have any of these facts wrong.

I hope you'll forgive me for thinking that maybe, just maybe, this post was a steaming pile of troll turd.

Reactions: 1 users
C'mon Rushie...you've been around here for 2 years. You should know not to underestimate the naivete of young pre-meds.

This is the story as I understand it so far:

- OP does not want to study for the MCAT
- OP would consider SGU if s/he took the MCAT, though.
- OP has yet to take a science class
- OP only wants Derm or Plastics
- This was his/her first post, because there just wasn't a single answer to any of these basic questions to be found anywhere on SDN.

@marli33 please correct me if I have any of these facts wrong.

I hope you'll forgive me for thinking that maybe, just maybe, this post was a steaming pile of troll turd.

AUA's promotion, especially on Facebook suggested ads, sounded very tempting. That's why many people are falling for them. They made it sound like you don't need much academic credentials in order to get into medical school.

You're willing to spend 4 years in medical school, 6 (?) years in a plastic surgery residency, but you're not willing to spend 3-4 months studying for the MCAT?

Are you going to tell the program director for residency that you want to apply even though you don't want to take the USMLE?

Are you going to tell the program director for residency that you want to apply even though you don't want to take the USMLE?
yeah thats about right.. take your supid comment to yourself.

yeah thats about right.. take your supid comment to yourself.
No; However if you can't dedicate yourself to study for 3 to 4 months for one test to get into an American medical school(D.O/M.D) I can not in honesty say you will dedicate yourself for board exams and what not in medical school.

Hi all,

So my questions are;

Thanks in advance.
:troll:

We're just trying to save you from yourself...do you really want to be unemployed and deeply indebt? You're exactly the gullible, impatient mark these diploma mills prey upon.
Additionaly, why would someone who seeks to avoid taking the MCAT consider him/herself capable of getting through med school?

The ban hammer is coming..
My first live banning!

Status
Not open for further replies.