America's Best Jobs

Started by JamesL1585
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JamesL1585

TheAntiSavior?
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
America's top 100 jobs. Guess where Pharmacist ranked?

I can tell you this, we were I believe the ONLY healthcare worker (even home health people/nurse anesthetist) that did NOT receive a grade of "A" for benefit to society. *SMH* I'm very pro pharmacy but also realistic, I still think pharmacist are undervalued for our benefit to the community. Or maybe it just depends on the pharmacist individually (theres a lot of lazy mofo's that give us a bad rep). Anyways, here it is:

http://money.cnn.com/pf/best-jobs/2012/snapshots/86.html
 
All the salary estimated for all the other jobs seemed over inflated except for Pharmacist because we all know how much they make. Pharmaceutical Rep was at like number 60 and median $80 000 a year. I call BS
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i can say that high rate is accurate

when i was manager at %$^@@# and including my OT and bonus, i pulled in close to 150k gross

it was based on 82 hour work week

i got a better giggle out of stress level C????
 
I'd say $133K is top pay. Obviously if you are counting OT or whatnot it doesn't count but I'd say for one 1.0 FTE $133K in gross salary is the top 5% of the pay range.

Its Z makes more than that and he is a pharmacist. Ask him how much he makes. :meanie:
 
My goal in life isn't money.

But my lowest paid pharmacist makes a lot more than $133k.
 
Well, US news ranked pharmacist as the #3 job. The only reason I found out is because I saw an ad for USP on my computer that said it. Colleges keep finding more and more ways to get people into pharmacy school.
 
I'd say $133K is top pay. Obviously if you are counting OT or whatnot it doesn't count but I'd say for one 1.0 FTE $133K in gross salary is the top 5% of the pay range.

The company I did my volunteer work with started their pharmacists at 130 full time (hospital). That was without experience etc.

The pharmacist job market is pretty saturated in some areas, but a couple companies I am aware of will hire just about any licensed pharmacist immediately at 120-130 without batting an eye.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lol, it seems like all of those reports are BS...and after doing a million journal clubs in school, I always question the "methods" of these studies.

I once saw a report comparing the honda fit (car) and the ducati hypermotard (motorcycle) in terms of commuting costs and performance...at least they're both colored like apples...
 
The company I did my volunteer work with started their pharmacists at 130 full time (hospital). That was without experience etc.

The pharmacist job market is pretty saturated in some areas, but a couple companies I am aware of will hire just about any licensed pharmacist immediately at 120-130 without batting an eye.

What area of the country was this in?
 
The company I did my volunteer work with started their pharmacists at 130 full time (hospital). That was without experience etc.

The pharmacist job market is pretty saturated in some areas, but a couple companies I am aware of will hire just about any licensed pharmacist immediately at 120-130 without batting an eye.

Brownsville, Texas? Even there I doubt it's easy to find a job. I don't think there is a city in this entire country that isn't extremely saturated with over 30+ applicants per spot.
 
Brownsville, Texas? Even there I doubt it's easy to find a job. I don't think there is a city in this entire country that isn't extremely saturated with over 30+ applicants per spot.

Maybe Detroit? I remember I got recruitment e-mails for jobs in Detroit.

Actually an am care job in Detroit popped up on PPS. I was thinking of applying, as maybe they wouldn't require PGY2...but it's Detroit, and I don't want to die.
 
Maybe Detroit? I remember I got recruitment e-mails for jobs in Detroit.

Actually an am care job in Detroit popped up on PPS. I was thinking of applying, as maybe they wouldn't require PGY2...but it's Detroit, and I don't want to die.

I saw a few of your recent posts and I got the impression that doing a PGY1 is useless -_-
 
I saw a few of your recent posts and I got the impression that doing a PGY1 is useless -_-

No, not useless, maybe I'm being overly pessimistic. There are lots of inpatient clinical/staff hybrid positions that require PGY1s now. It's just that I like am care, and am care jobs are hard to find with just PGY1.
 
Maybe Detroit? I remember I got recruitment e-mails for jobs in Detroit.

Actually an am care job in Detroit popped up on PPS. I was thinking of applying, as maybe they wouldn't require PGY2...but it's Detroit, and I don't want to die.

It's COLD as heck up there! lol...but I'll move if it's the only place with jobs. lol...

No, not useless, maybe I'm being overly pessimistic. There are lots of inpatient clinical/staff hybrid positions that require PGY1s now. It's just that I like am care, and am care jobs are hard to find with just PGY1.

Why don't you do a PGY2? According to Z it's the smartest thing a pharmacy student can do!

If I wasn't so damn lazy and if I didn't HATE reading jouranl articles with a passion and if I didn't bomb my P3 year and if I wasn't so damn old and if I didn't owe any student loans..then I would most likely do a residency myself! lol
 
All the salary estimated for all the other jobs seemed over inflated except for Pharmacist because we all know how much they make. Pharmaceutical Rep was at like number 60 and median $80 000 a year. I call BS

not BS I know reps that make 6 figures!!!!
 
Why don't you do a PGY2? According to Z it's the smartest thing a pharmacy student can do!

If I wasn't so damn lazy and if I didn't HATE reading jouranl articles with a passion and if I didn't bomb my P3 year and if I wasn't so damn old and if I didn't owe any student loans..then I would most likely do a residency myself! lol

I'm just tired of feeling like a student. I want to finally start working independently and not having to focus on side projects while constantly being told what I'm doing wrong. I mean residency is a good learning experience and I'm glad I chose to do it, but I feel that enough is enough. Hopefully I can get a job. I think at this point I'd be fine with a clinical/staff hybrid position. I don't like making IVs, but I guess I'll do what I have to.