AmeriCorps Economically Disadvantaged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaredevilDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently volunteering full-time with AmeriCorps. I make about half minimum wage per hour, which works out to around 100% the federal poverty level and I am on food stamps as well. However, I have grown up working class/lower middle class with a cabbie dad and lab tech mom up until my AmeriCorps job. Given my family background, but considering I am not supported by anyone else, does this mean that I am considered economically disadvantaged?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently volunteering full-time with AmeriCorps. I make about half minimum wage per hour, which works out to around 100% the federal poverty level and I am on food stamps as well. However, I have grown up working class/lower middle class with a cabbie dad and lab tech mom up until my AmeriCorps job. Given my family background, but considering I am not supported by anyone else, does this mean that I am considered economically disadvantaged?

No.

Interviewer: So I see you marked the disadvantaged box on AMCAS, why do you think you're disadvantaged?
You: Well, I make 1/2 minimum wage and receive foodstamps. I'm also at 100% the federal poverty level.
Interviewer: So you chose to be in this position. What about all the other disadvantaged students who are there not by choice?
You: :confused:

I was asked that question by an interviewer, but fortunately :)rolleyes:) for me I grew up poor and in a medically underserved area so I didn't get any follow up questions.

Secondly, "100% of the federal poverty level" means you make double what the people right at the poverty line make. Sorry, not disadvantaged even if you were there not by choice.

Usually if you have to ask, then probably not. Sounds like your upbringing might qualify though.

Members don't see this ad :)
But then, I still don't know that I'd tick the box. I talked on my apps about being poor growing up, but I didn't check that box because it's incredibly untrue now.

This is uncomfortably close to the applicant who declared disavantaged status because his children were on foodstamps due to his diversion of funds to the application process

This is uncomfortably close to the applicant who declared disavantaged status because his children were on foodstamps due to his diversion of funds to the application process

Lol what

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Being disadvantaged has to do with how you grew up rather than what your situation right now is. A lot of us are broke college students XD