Americorps: employment or community enrichment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epox16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, in terms of classifying experience in the "experience" section of the AACOMAS application, would you list an americorps job as non healthcare employment or non-healthcare community enrichment? A few summers ago I worked on an americorps conservation crew, and while technically I was paid (about the equivalent of 3$ an hour to live outside doing intense manual labor for 3 months), I think the point of americorps as a whole is community/national service, so I'm leaning toward putting it down as a service experience. Let me know what you all think.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, in terms of classifying experience in the "experience" section of the AACOMAS application, would you list an americorps job as non healthcare employment or non-healthcare community enrichment? A few summers ago I worked on an americorps conservation crew, and while technically I was paid (about the equivalent of 3$ an hour to live outside doing intense manual labor for 3 months), I think the point of americorps as a whole is community/national service, so I'm leaning toward putting it down as a service experience. Let me know what you all think.
You were paid. It’s a crappy job, but still a job

Volunteering with a small stipend

Reactions: 1 user
You were paid. It’s a crappy job, but still a job
Funnily enough I actually loved that crappy job. I'll put it down as employment, I'm sure adcoms know what americorp's deal is, hah