Amusing Things Heard on the Hospital Page System

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Code Blue! Jan’s office. Code Blue! Jan’s office.
(One of the ED admins had set up her office in a room that was supposed to be a pt room and had a code button that she accidentally hit)

Will the family of the patient that is coding please report to the ER! (Excitement makes people say silly things)

Code Brown! 4th floor. Code Brown! 4th floor.
(We thought this was a joke but a nursing student on 4 heard someone say “Code Brown” so she dutifully if naively called it in)

Dr. Jones, please call 225. So then Shanika said that he’s that baby’s daddy so he should watch him at least once or twice a week while I go out and take care of….
(This went on for ~5 minutes before someone called and told the page operator that her mic was stuck)

and the one that made me think do post this:

The time is now 8:00. Visiting hours are over. All visitors should evacuate the building immediately!

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the hospital heard a conversation none of us needed to hear the other day after the page operator left her mic engaged. All I can say is I didn't realize Shirley Q. Liquor worked in our hospital!

If I were a less serious-minded individual, and did not have aspirations of my own success, I would arrange to work (or just stop by) on April Fools' Day, and make all manner of amusing overhead pages.

"Dr. Pepper, please report to the cafeteria. Dr. Pepper, to the cafeteria."

Really, grade-school humor is the best kind. (Witness the "Code Brown" nursing student page, above.)

If it was covert, then why was Jackson being paged?

"Code blue, patient family waiting area, third floor..." which was followed 5 minutes later by "Father Tracy, family waiting area, third floor..." (Father Tracy is a call for security.

Apparently, a woman in the ICU waiting room had a vasovagal episode, and when the code blue team showed up, her boyfriend assaulted one of the team members.

I once worked in a small hospital where the overhead paging system could be accessed directly using any phone. Our favorite thing to do to new people was to page them to call the extension that activates the overhead paging....then we'd get to hear them say "Hello? hello? somebody paged me to this number...duh what's going on?" on the overhead. :laugh:

one of the only fond memories of 3rd year while on the floor...

"Dr. Cummings, from Urology...is waiting for someone......"

SLUsagar said:
one of the only fond memories of 3rd year while on the floor...

"Dr. Cummings, from Urology...is waiting for someone......"
I don't get it. :confused:

Last week, just before Christmas, I heard the following page at the hospital:

"Santa to the cafeteria STAT!"

"Dr. A.T. Still please report for rounds on the 3rd floor!"

For those of you that dont know Andrew T. Still is the founding father of Osteopathic Medicine and is shoved down our throats on a weekly basis during our first 2 years of medical school. So when I heard that, I busted out laughing. One of the DO residents had made the page goofing around.