• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

An effective gap year

becausepremedlife

Apr 1, 2016
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hello everyone! I am currently a week from graduating college and will be taking my MCAT for the first time this fall and applying next cycle. I have done research all of my undergraduate carrier and keep being encouraged to pursue a research post-bac or some similar position for the mean time by my professor for income. But I feel like I have enough research experience but no clinical experience at all. Is it ideal to keep it safe and stick to what I know, or find different opportunities to have a more diverse application? I was wondering how everyone else is using their gap year?

About the Ads

eteshoe

5+ Year Member
  • Jan 4, 2016
    Dione, Saturn
    1. MD/PhD Student
      I managed to squeeze in a semester of ER volunteering my Sophmore year, but have not had any other opportunities due to my schedules since then.

Then your best bet would be to get a full-time job (research or otherwise) and start building up those volunteer & shadowing hrs on the weekends. Oh yea, and study for that MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user

GreenDuck12

7+ Year Member
      Mar 30, 2014
      1. Medical Student
        I agree with the post above: get a job (if it is in research, great, if not, great) and volunteer. A lack of volunteer/clinical experience is a red flag in any application. Make sure you get those hours up to a reasonable level by the time you apply.

Reactions: 1 user
        About the Ads
        This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.