An Experiment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tackett26

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I'm wanting to figure out just how consistant or variable the PharmD curriculum is from school to school. My hypothesis is there is a little bit of variablity from school to school, but I don't know how much.

Here's what I want you guys to do. Post a general summary of anything you did unique or a general synapses of what you learned during each of the years of pharmacy school. If I get a bunch of people from different schools to reply we can get a general idea of how much training can vary.

Members don't see this ad.

i take 3 semesters of kinetics (P2-P3)
i have 1 semester of genomics (1 of 2 programs in the country that has it), 4 semesters of therapeutics (P2-P3)
1 semester of law (P1)
2 semesters of pharmacology (p2)
2 semesters of lab (p2)

i think you are going to find that there is much more variety then you anticipated.

Attachments

• PharmDCoursesCurriculum.pdf
    71.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The ACPE has a number of core things every school must teach...and that winds up being the vast majority of the cirriculum. You don't really need an "experiment"...

Univ. of Georgia

2 semsters of kinetics- one basic semester (the hard one, but necessary) and one clinical (the easier, way more useful one)
2 semesters of p'cology
2 semesters of p'therapy- 4 semester would be awesome!- this is arguably the most important class in pharmacy school
1 semester Infec. Disease- too much microbiology and not not near clinical enough
2 semesters of Med chem- I looooooved Med chem but it really shouldn't be two semesters of required classes.
3 semesters of compounding lab- GA has a wet lab on the license exam
6 semesters skills lab (every semester all 3 years)

Also of note, Chemotherapy is a required course-as complex and interesting as it is, I really think it should be an elective class.
We need more antibiotic therapy

Last edited:
USP (program for c/o 2012, different for c/o2011 and earlier)

P1:
Physiology (2 semesters)
Biochem (1)
Molecular Bio (1)
Immuno (1)
Communications, can be taken earlier if desired
Biostats, can be taken earlier if desired.
Pharm. Calculations (1 credit)
Clinical skills (w/lab)
IPPEs, of course

P2 and P3:
Therapeutics (4 semesters)
Therapeutics lab/case lab
Medchem (1 semester, before pharmacology)
Pharmacology (2 sem, 1 P2 and 1 P3)
Pharmaceutics (2 sem)
Pharmaceutics lab
Pharmacy management
Research design
OTCs
Biomed lit. eval
Pharmacy law
Kinetics (1 semester)
Seminar
IPPEs

8 credits of pharmacy electives, 4 credits therapeutic and the rest can be non-therapeutic

P4: 8 rotations