anatomy and physiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhilosophyGrl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm currently trying to finish up prereqs for pharmacy school. My one concern is the anatomy and physiology requirement. Some schools require a lab section and some don't. I've already contacted and received answers for two schools on whether they require a lab section and wanted to know if anyone knows whether Midwestern University in Glendale and Nova require labs? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

PhilosophyGrl said:
Hi all, I'm currently trying to finish up prereqs for pharmacy school. My one concern is the anatomy and physiology requirement. Some schools require a lab section and some don't. I've already contacted and received answers for two schools on whether they require a lab section and wanted to know if anyone knows whether Midwestern University in Glendale and Nova require labs? Thanks in advance.

Did you check the website for those respective schools? They usually list ".....w/lab" on the preqrequisite list.

PhilosophyGrl said:

I just checked the Glendale web site, it doesnt seem that they require the lab section. I would only assume that because for the chem and Biology requirements they have "with lab" in parenthesis, and for the anatomy section it says nothing regarding the.

I am pretty sure NOVA requires the lab. At least is what I am told by friends who got accepted for the class of 2010. Although, I would recommend you check out the website.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd take it anyway just to show that you do more than the minimum requirements. A lot of schools here in FL only offer them together.

My sister went to Midwestern in Glendale.. I don't believe the anatomy lab was required.

I know western university in CA requires anatomy and anatomy lab though, sort of ridiculous considering they also require physiology and physiology lab..

Ok, thanks all. I did look on the websites and couldn't find anything so I figured I'd ask here. My school offers anatomy and physiology seperate without the labs and A&P I and II with labs, and it'd be easier for me to knock anatomy and physiology out in the same semester, but I guess I'll be taking A&P I and II.

I HAVE A QUESTION!!!

speaking of anatomy labs.
i took anatomy in high school.
we dissected cats.
to become a pharmacist, at any point, do we have to dissect human cadavers?

i went to this chiropactic school once.
i saw people dissecting human cadavers.
i couldn't eat meat that night.
it makes me depressed. =\

I believe at my undergraduate anatomy lab course.. they do have human cadavers. Thats why its ridiculously hard to get into that class because believe it or not everyone wants to work with cadavers... and they're expensive so space is limited.

I don't want to work with cadavers.. I just want to fulfill my prepharm prereq for Western. As far as I know, however.. thats the only school I'm applying to that requires this class.

hey, on another note, I also dissected cats in HS physiology. It wasn't too bad after a while, got used to the smell. I found it amusing also how we had to put the fur back on the cat after we were done with her, so she wouldn't get dry.. like a fur coat when the party is over.. how macabre I know.. :scared:

As far as human dissection goes - it varies by school. I know for a fact that UF did at one point require all of its P1 students to take the Grad level Anatomy w/ human dissection - but did away with it because it wasn't necessary. Call the schools in question and inquire.

I dont really have a problem with it - My brother had one for dental school, he gave it a name and said it was one of his best lab partners ever... so to each their own

~above~

^ thanks for the answers above :)

PhilosophyGrl said:

i think both of anatomy and physiology require labs.........

Just take the lab.

You learn more with the lab. There's lots of things that you need to see and do to better understand the material. You will need to understand physiology in-depth to do well in pharmacy school.

PhilosophyGrl said:
Ok, thanks all. I did look on the websites and couldn't find anything so I figured I'd ask here. My school offers anatomy and physiology seperate without the labs and A&P I and II with labs, and it'd be easier for me to knock anatomy and physiology out in the same semester, but I guess I'll be taking A&P I and II.
Although it doesn't sound like your school requires it, I think it might be more beneficial to you learning wise to do all the anatomy first, and then take the physiology course. I thought it was very helpful to do it in order, rather than at the same time.