Anatomy and Physiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Papasmurf1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm applying this upcoming cycle and I haven't taken these classes.
I wasn't able to because I'm an environmental science major and it conflicted with the time anatomy was offered (once a year) and hence, when I tried to get into physio the professor didn't let me because I didn't take that as a prerequisite.

So now i'm getting worried that I'll be at a disadvantage compared to other applicants because of this. Are these two classes really necessary?

I took genetics, biochem, immunology, genetics, microbio, physics, chem, bio, ochem, and english classes.

Also, on another note, I only took 1 quarter (my school is on quarter system) of calc b/c I passed out of the 1st portion w/ AP credit (3). Do schools require more than 1 quarter of calc? I've been looking through my ADEA guide book from last year's cycle and most schools don't seem to list math as a prereq.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You won't be at a disadvantage as long as your GPA is competitive. Taking these courses will come in handy when you are in dental school though, I have heard those that have taken courses like these previously have it a little easier.

I talked with one of admission faculty at my university's School of Dentistry

he advised me to take many upper level courses many as possible because they want people to be ready for the grad. school level schedule and teaching.
He said even if I didn't get A in my undergrad, if I took it before that means I would more likely to get A in dental school for the same course.
And they want to pick people who are going to be successful in dental school because they don't want to turn down possibly better candidate over someone who breaks down easily by 14 final exams in 2 weeks (yeah...they said it happened)

So..I would say take it in other community college so at least you have something to say when you are in interview
but you already took good amount of upper level courses, so I think you are good to go

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm applying this upcoming cycle and I haven't taken these classes.
I wasn't able to because I'm an environmental science major and it conflicted with the time anatomy was offered (once a year) and hence, when I tried to get into physio the professor didn't let me because I didn't take that as a prerequisite.

So now i'm getting worried that I'll be at a disadvantage compared to other applicants because of this. Are these two classes really necessary?

I took genetics, biochem, immunology, genetics, microbio, physics, chem, bio, ochem, and english classes.

Also, on another note, I only took 1 quarter (my school is on quarter system) of calc b/c I passed out of the 1st portion w/ AP credit (3). Do schools require more than 1 quarter of calc? I've been looking through my ADEA guide book from last year's cycle and most schools don't seem to list math as a prereq.

Thanks!

Necessary? no they are not

Will they make you more competitive? generally speaking, its the overall and science GPAs that matter the most, individual grades / individual classes aren't as important disclaimer ~ SOME SCHOOLS favor upper division sciences (Nova comes to mind) when they review your transcripts.... And even if thats the case, it appears you've taken a great load of upper level biologies anyways. You are set IMO :thumbup:

Most schools do not require calc I (I am not sure tho, but I believe harvard requires at least Calc I)

The only recommendation I usually give to predents (and premeds) is to take gross anatomy ALONG WITH CADAVER LAB (without cadaver, its useless).... Its not gonna make you more competitive, but it will help you during first year.... Again, is it necessary? no, but its just a helpful class to have before starting

I think you should take A&P (or just physiology) for the simple fact you'll be seeing it later in dental school. Undergrad would be a good time for intro to the topics.

At my school anatomy is a beast!! Probably nothing like gross anatomy in med/dental school, but it has to prepare you better than if you didn't take it at all. If you take it just be ready to put in some time...it is 27 chapters! Physiology at my school is significantly easier, so take that into consideration. Averages are in the low 60's with no curve/scale. I am in it now, and my friend compared anatomy to orgo difficulty. (I havent taken orgo yet but he earned A's in both courses)

I think you should take A&P (or just physiology) for the simple fact you'll be seeing it later in dental school. Undergrad would be a good time for intro to the topics.

To my surprise, my school doesn't really offer an upper level A&P class, just a 1000 level "Integrated A&P" with lab. I'm signed up for it, but I'm not sure whether I should take it because it's all I have, or if I should skip it and try to take a different higher level course?

If you have certain schools that you are really gunning for, I would check their pre-reqs. Not taking anatomy and microbiology meant there were a good number of schools I couldn't apply for. I don't remember which ones, I just remember seeing prereqs and going "guess i'm not applying there!"

On that note, University of New England has some online bio courses that are designed for pre-health professions. The downside? They're ridiculously expensive.
http://www.une.edu/com/online/anatomy/index.cfm

To my surprise, my school doesn't really offer an upper level A&P class, just a 1000 level "Integrated A&P" with lab. I'm signed up for it, but I'm not sure whether I should take it because it's all I have, or if I should skip it and try to take a different higher level course?

If your school doesn't offer an upper-level human anatomy, you should check to see if they offer something else like vertebrate or mammalian anatomy.

At my school, the BIO dept. offers human anatomy (200-level), but if you're a stated pre-med or pre-dent (or really anything other than nursing), you're actually barred from taking it. Instead, you're required to take "Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy" and "Animal Physiology," both 300-level classes and neither focused on humans.

Thanks for all the input!
I went to a UCSF info day this past weekend and the dean of admissions told me it was not necessary (or at least for their school) but that by 'recommending' it, they said it would only be beneficial to me but not particularly be the deciding factor in admission.

Thanks for all the input!
I went to a UCSF info day this past weekend and the dean of admissions told me it was not necessary (or at least for their school) but that by 'recommending' it, they said it would only be beneficial to me but not particularly be the deciding factor in admission.

Most schools are this way. There are a lot of other ways to be competitive so it won't come to "Well she took A&P and he didn't, let's take her".