Anatomy book advice needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, so my medical school says that for "required" textbooks for Anatomy, I need Clinical Anatomy by Snell, Lippincott, etc. along with Netter's Atlas. I did some research on SDN and saw that Netter's Atlas is universally liked but there seems to be no consensus on textbooks for anatomy. Some posts said that Snell's Anatomy is very unhelpful while others said that I'd be better off with Grays Anatomy as a proper textbook. What do you guys recommend? What textbook is the most appropriate, easy to read, and the most helpful for anatomy?

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated :)
Netters+lecture slides was all that I needed

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice guys! I'm definitely getting Netter's and I'll look into BRS. Anyone else?

I suggest Lippincott's Q&A review for practice questions. It has Embryology and Anatomy questions that were great ways to review before tests.

My school Recommended Moore's for a text which I liked for the muscle tables and blue boxes. Thieme seems to be highly recommended on SDN and by my PT friends. I used both Netter's and Rohen's for atlases, and would do the same if I ever had to retake anatomy for whatever god forsaken reason. UMich for questions is solid, and I also highly recommend the Acland videos. Haines is the go to for neuro anatomy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I strongly recommend Rohens Color Atlas of Anatomy - Amazon product

It's a must when studying for practicals IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
My 2 cents: Use whatever dissector you have an make sure you know all they key structures that they talk about and then start learning any anatomy relative to said key structures, (X is superior to Y and inferior to Z, the X artery branches from the Y artery, etc), I'd use Netters for that type of learning because the pictures are pretty and easy to distinguish and then Rohens to get a picture of what its really like and test myself.

Hey guys, so my medical school says that for "required" textbooks for Anatomy, I need Clinical Anatomy by Snell, Lippincott, etc. along with Netter's Atlas. I did some research on SDN and saw that Netter's Atlas is universally liked but there seems to be no consensus on textbooks for anatomy. Some posts said that Snell's Anatomy is very unhelpful while others said that I'd be better off with Grays Anatomy as a proper textbook. What do you guys recommend? What textbook is the most appropriate, easy to read, and the most helpful for anatomy?

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated :)

Required books at my school are hardly ever used as required books and if you have a course pack or course notes, what'll like happen is they'll put in images/tables from that book and you probably are only responsible for what's in their notes. Just make sure that's the case with your school too.

So for anatomy there's probably not a consensus because anatomy itself is more of a table/diagram subject than prose like physiology. Gray's anatomy is what I've heard but I've seen no one use it. There's also High Yield/BRS which are supposedly review books. I would say if you're dead set on buying them, keep them as a reference because for review books, they're pretty comprehensive/detailed.

Netter's is well-liked. For anatomy, the one thing I bought which helped was the Netter Atlas App for the IPad. It was $80 (probably more than the color atlas) and it had a quiz feature but more important a search feature which was very helpful when I wasn't sure what plate I wanted but I wanted to see how one specific structure fit in with others. It's also very organized and when you click on a feature (ex. a muscle) it gives origin/action/innervation/etc. Again, very efficient. The illustrations are very beautiful in their simplicity but they have the potential to be very representative as well.

One addition I'd add if no one's mentioned it is Rohen's Atlas. It is the closest thing I've seen to an actual prosected body. I struggled a lot with visualization/practical exam in Anatomy and hated lab. I actually honored the very first written exam but failed the practical by a point (averaged out to a mediocre score). I would say that given my background Rohen's helped, but it wasn't (in my opinion) a substitute for anatomy lab as some people may say. What helped the most for me was going into open lab and being super modest and just trying to learn from everyone who knew what they were talking about because I didn't.

Anatomy wasn't my best subject.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I highly recommend you not use books at all for anatomy. Get a good interactive atlas on your computer or tablet that lets you learn everything. Going through a book for anatomy is like using a toothbrush to clean a hotel lobby - it is horribly slow and there are better tools out there.

Good suggestion cristygen. It's a pretty good choice. :)

Last edited: