Anatomy in High School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDTENNIS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a high school student deciding on courses for next year. I am deciding between taking Physics I, or taking both Physics I and Anatomy. If i take both classes i will have 8 classes each semester and am not excited about that. I was wondering if you would think it helpful to take Anatomy. I have already taking Biology I, Chemistry I, and am planning on taking AP Biology and AP Chemistry in two years. Should i lighten my course load, or is Anatomy neccesary?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am a high school student deciding on courses for next year. I am deciding between taking Physics I, or taking both Physics I and Anatomy. If i take both classes i will have 8 classes each semester and am not excited about that. I was wondering if you would think it helpful to take Anatomy. I have already taking Biology I, Chemistry I, and am planning on taking AP Biology and AP Chemistry in two years. Should i lighten my course load, or is Anatomy neccesary?

Ugh, I don't even know if I want to answer this because you're really way to young for this crap. But...

Take physics

what's the deal with all the high school kids coming here lately?

but to answer your question, take whatever you want. what you do in high school doesn't make much of a difference

Members don't see this ad :)
Take whatever you want, it doesn't matter, the "anatomy" you'll learn in high school will probably not do anything to supplement what you'll learn in med school...just get good grades and go to a decent college.

Should i lighten my course load, or is Anatomy neccesary?
Necessary for WHAT? you're not applying to med school, at which point it isn't even necessary, but I KNOW you don't need it for undergrad.

Take the easy load. You'll forget everything other than the femur and humerus by the time you got to med school in 6-7 years.

You are too young son. Focus on a good school and having a good time. Remember extracurricular activities are also important. So enjoy high school and college and worry about med school in a few years. Unless you are personally very interested in anatomy I wouldnt worry about taking it.

Take Physics and even AP Physics if you have the time. Physics is much harder to grasp than anatomy and a stronger foundation in physics will help you in your pre-med courses and on the MCAT. Anatomy is straight memorization so taking it several years before medical school probably won't help that much plus it isn't tested very heavily on the MCAT (pretty much all the anatomy you need to know for the MCAT will be taught to you in a college physiology class). Wait for undergrad to take anatomy (I took it my last semester).

The depth of college classes compared to med school is very little
The depth of high school classes compared to college is very little.
High school anatomy is worthless. Take fewer classes.

You're what a sophmore in high school? Make some friends and have some fun that is what high school and college are for. Worry about your future later, like maybe in 5 years.

I'd recommend physics if your looking for a premed advantage. For many people seeing it a few times helps you finally really get it and its important for the MCAT and for physiology in medschool which is important for the USMLE step 1. High school anatomy isn't going to scratch the surface of what you'll learn to be a doctor, and won't help you in college or even in getting into medschool from college. I took and undergrad anatomy course with a cadaver dissection which was helpful in that I knew how to approach studying anatomy but even that class didn't really go in depth compared to medschool. All that being said, whatever edge you may gain is probably worth very little in the big picture, so if you are more interested in one of the two classes just go with that, if you are interested then you'll likely get a better grade which is good for applying to college which is currently what you should be focusing on most. Always keep your eye on the next hurdle and don't worry so much about what is 3 or 4 hurdles away or you'll drive yourself nutty before you get anywhere.

seen and agree with above
(sorry, just getting ready to co-sign notes)

I took AP Biology II (this is the one I think you are referring to) senior year of high school. I was exposed to a lot of anatomy through the course, but now I'm a senior in college about to enter medical school, and I barely remember a smidgeon of what I learned then. I do recommend taking AP Biology because it's a great course (and you can test out of introductory biology and get to the real interesting stuff right away in college), but you don't really need to be concerned with Anatomy until a future date. Be happy while you still can and don't kill yourself with superfluous courses. I also recommend AP Physics because a subject like physics is something you really need to be exposed to several times before you truly get a grasp of it (at least for some people). Anyways, good luck and keep your dreams big.

Take anatomy only if you have attractive, opposite-sex classmates to practice with ;) .The "I'm going to be a doctor" line might work on highschool girls before they wise up that you're never going to be around and marry insurance salesmen (but they'll still brag they dated a "doctor").

Members don't see this ad :)
Take anatomy only if you have attractive, opposite-sex classmates to practice with ;) .The "I'm going to be a doctor" line might work on highschool girls before they wise up that you're never going to be around and marry insurance salesmen (but they'll still brag they dated a "doctor").

Hello-
I saw your user name and remembered some trivia that I bet you didn't know (and probably never cared to!). Evidently, Richard Kimble is the Hollywood alter-ego of Sam Sheppard, D.O., a 1950s Cleveland osteopathic physician--I think even some type of surgeon. His real-life mishap apparently inspired the whole "Fugitive" series.

This opportunity comes up so infrequently, I simply had to take it....some things are simply too hard to work into everyday conversation.

but to answer your question, take whatever you want. what you do in high school doesn't make much of a difference
I would disagree here that what you do in high school "won't matter" because I find that it is helpful (at least for me) to have a good grounding in the sciences and in math. I knew students that really struggled in college because they didn't take the proper courses to prepare them for college. This doesn't mean screwing around in high school closes the medical doors, but it may set you back.

I would suggest taking physics, not anatomy, given the choice. Physics is required for the MCAT, anatomy is not.

Hello-
I saw your user name and remembered some trivia that I bet you didn't know (and probably never cared to!). Evidently, Richard Kimble is the Hollywood alter-ego of Sam Sheppard, D.O., a 1950s Cleveland osteopathic physician--I think even some type of surgeon. His real-life mishap apparently inspired the whole "Fugitive" series.

This opportunity comes up so infrequently, I simply had to take it....some things are simply too hard to work into everyday conversation.

Good to know. I like fun facts like that. Beware of drug companies with ex-cops as security I guess. Cheers!

I'm a high school teacher (for now) and teach anatomy. I always recommend to my students to take the typical Bio, Chem, Physics for competative colleges, so definitely do that. I'm assuming that you are going into your senior year, and I just want to let you know that high school A&P is all memorization!!!! You can't really do much unless your school district is very rich and can afford a lot of specimens (ours is not...), and it is very hard to apply the stuff you need to memorize without the specimens. Not too much fun your senior year. Don't forget too that premed or not, most competative colleges look for well-roundedness. So instead of Physics and A&P, take physics and AP english or AP history or art! Don't take just science because, even if you want to dedicate your life to medicine, colleges want to see that you have interests other than just medicine and science (keep in mind this is coming from a self-professed science NERD!).

Hope that helps. PM me if you want any more scheduling advice, I'm a pro at it now after helping out all of my own students!

As a high school student, I just wanted to say that you shouldn't be criticizing us for knowing what we want so early :)

As a high school student, I just wanted to say that you shouldn't be criticizing us for knowing what we want so early :)

I knew I wanted to be a doctor in high school too, but alot of kids think this and neve make it. There are so many different things that you don't get exposed to until college that many find that there is something else they are more into. Also the program is very rigorous and designed to weed out those who won't make it through the even more rigorous programs in medschool and residency. Something like 60% of the freshman premeds are not longer premeds when it comes time to apply at my college. Its great to have something your interested in but its too early to really comit to it or to start basing desicions on coursework/extracurriculars on that goal. The coursework at the high school level really not have any impact on your competitiveness as a premed. Because your specific classes really won't have that much impact you should be more focused on doing things that you enjoy and are interesting to you than on how to get ahead. I advise that once in college you also explore some other options while keeping your premed aspirations in mind to make sure that you are really on the best path for you.

I knew I wanted to be a doctor in high school too, but alot of kids think this and neve make it. There are so many different things that you don't get exposed to until college that many find that there is something else they are more into. Also the program is very rigorous and designed to weed out those who won't make it through the even more rigorous programs in medschool and residency. Something like 60% of the freshman premeds are not longer premeds when it comes time to apply at my college. Its great to have something your interested in but its too early to really comit to it or to start basing desicions on coursework/extracurriculars on that goal. The coursework at the high school level really not have any impact on your competitiveness as a premed. Because your specific classes really won't have that much impact you should be more focused on doing things that you enjoy and are interesting to you than on how to get ahead. I advise that once in college you also explore some other options while keeping your premed aspirations in mind to make sure that you are really on the best path for you.

Definately, I agree with you. I don't, believe it or not, live & breathe science... I just really do love it. I've heard so many times that high school is nothing compared to college and that you've never really decided to become a doctor until you've actually gotten accepted into medical school... and I guess I can't comment on that because I haven't been there yet. I do stay diverse, though. I'm the photography editor for my school yearbook and am involved in choir... and I do love both passionately, but I love them as hobbies. I already attend a clinical rotation class in high school where we go to hospitals every other day and shadow doctors. The only thing I just don't get is why so many pre-meds/medical students find this crazy of us young ones. I took the class because I want to see, before I get too involved, if this is truly what I want to do. I don't find it tempting to start a major in biology, then realize that I don't want to go into the medical field, then have to restart. That's why I've started in high school.

First of all, chill out.

Ok. Nice and deep breaths. Think about who you are taking to the prom and that good ****.

Alright.

Definately, I agree with you. I don't, believe it or not, live & breathe science... I just really do love it. I've heard so many times that high school is nothing compared to college and that you've never really decided to become a doctor until you've actually gotten accepted into medical school... and I guess I can't comment on that because I haven't been there yet. I do stay diverse, though. I'm the photography editor for my school yearbook and am involved in choir... and I do love both passionately, but I love them as hobbies. I already attend a clinical rotation class in high school where we go to hospitals every other day and shadow doctors. The only thing I just don't get is why so many pre-meds/medical students find this crazy of us young ones. I took the class because I want to see, before I get too involved, if this is truly what I want to do. I don't find it tempting to start a major in biology, then realize that I don't want to go into the medical field, then have to restart. That's why I've started in high school.

I think most premeds knew early on that they wanted to be doctors, but I think high schoolers need to take the advise of current pre meds/medical students to heart. I agree with most posts stating that anyone in high school should just try to enjoy as much as possible and not focus on what they can do now that would improve their future applications.

I am a current med student and I knew when I was in high school that I wanted to be a doctor, but did I take anatomy, physics, etc thinking that it would somehow help me in the application process....NOOOOOO!!!!! The stress that you will have in college and all the premed classes that you would have to take is enough, and I would strongly suggest that you enjoy art, music or whatever while you can.

If you have a true interest then take AP biology, anatomy or whatever, but honestly try to enjoy your life as much as possible. It's great that some of you are shadowing and getting clinical exposure, but know that it really wont do anything to improve your application. The coming four years in college will determine your aspirations more than what you do in high school. You will also find that the majority of premeds in college, that were dead set on becoming doctors, will chose something else.

Good luck and have fun!

I think most premeds knew early on that they wanted to be doctors, but I think high schoolers need to take the advise of current pre meds/medical students to heart. I agree with most posts stating that anyone in high school should just try to enjoy as much as possible and not focus on what they can do now that would improve their future applications.

I am a current med student and I knew when I was in high school that I wanted to be a doctor, but did I take anatomy, physics, etc thinking that it would somehow help me in the application process....NOOOOOO!!!!! The stress that you will have in college and all the premed classes that you would have to take is enough, and I would strongly suggest that you enjoy art, music or whatever while you can.

If you have a true interest then take AP biology, anatomy or whatever, but honestly try to enjoy your life as much as possible. It's great that some of you are shadowing and getting clinical exposure, but know that it really wont do anything to improve your application. The coming four years in college will determine your aspirations more than what you do in high school. You will also find that the majority of premeds in college, that were dead set on becoming doctors, will chose something else.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks so much! :) I'm actually about two months from graduating and I'm excited. After all these years of AP classes including Physics I, Physics II, Biology, Calculus, English, Chemistry... and now hearing that it's all pretty much useless is a bit disheartening, I wish somebody told me sooner! :laugh:

Thanks so much! :) I'm actually about two months from graduating and I'm excited. After all these years of AP classes including Physics I, Physics II, Biology, Calculus, English, Chemistry... and now hearing that it's all pretty much useless is a bit disheartening, I wish somebody told me sooner! :laugh:

You are welcome, and it's not completely useless. At least by the time you get to college and have to take those courses again, you will recognize it and hopefully it will be easier for you then the other students in your class. That way you might be able to get an , if I dare to say it, "easy" A, and can slack off and do what most college students do............hmmmmmmmm................."studying" :thumbup:

I'd recommend not taking any AP classes. They are a waste of time and energy and you will often have to take them again in college.

Take a little of everything. Chem, physics, and a language.

I've had to take up to 4 semesters proficiency in college and it was helpful to have placed out of two of those semesters by taking it in high school.

If you like biology, then take A&P. It was probably my favorite class in high school. We dissected cats and had a great time. Ah the good old days of never having to read the book.

Haha, I took A&P junior year... literally all we did every single class day was color worksheets which we never memorized, and had open book tests. Instead of enhancing my familiarity with the human body, I can't remember if my ulna is part of my arm or leg. :eek:

To the OP, relax a little bit during high school. There will be plenty of time for anatomy later on. And if I even remember high school (sheesh, it scares me that I'm coming up on my 10 year reunion!), I think that seven classes were more than enough to keep me busy.

Now go out and have some fun!

I'm not a fan of AP courses. I think that college classes should be taken in college, hence the name. My advice is to take bio, chem, and physics in high school. Then, you'll take them again in college, but at a more complex level and with smarter students in your class.

As a current MS3, my advice would be to create a courseload that looks impressive as possible (and maintains a high GPA) with the minimum amount of actual work involved. Take a bunch of APs but there's no need to take the maximum number possible. Use the time you save to pursue one great endeavor that will make you stand out from ten thousand other college applications.

Beyond that, have a good time. Stay out late. No high school class made any difference for what I am doing now -- but many friendships that began at that time continue to bear fruit.

Coming from a more rural high school, I found my high school anatomy class to be pretty in depth. Each student was given an adult cat and we spent EXTREMELY long time dissecting that poor cat (I had the misfortune of having homeroom in the same room). We also had more focused dissections of individual organs from a range of animals (thanks to the local farmers). While you may forget a good amount, I think being introduced to terminology and how different groups work can be beneficial.

However, I think it's very dependent on your school and what sort of opportunities are available. Also, if you're going to overload youself, DON'T. For the most part, what you did in high school means nothing once you get to college. Enjoy high school and get a life...it's far more important and when you finish...you'll be much happier that you enjoyed your high school days than that you took an anatomy class and stressed out by overloading on classes.

I took undergrad anatomy right before I started med school (don't ask me why, stupid idea!). Yeah, it saved me maybe an hour during the first week and then maybe 20 minutes per week after that. Med school anatomy moves that much quicker.

As a high school student, I've taken advanced Chem as well as AP Biology. I regret not taking Anatomy, since the class was more "hands-on" than Bio. I did not take Physics because my interest is in Biology/Anatomy. AP Biology was great for me. I suggest you take the highest level courses, AP, because it is better for you and applying to college. (I just got accepted to an outstanding pre-medical program w/o Physics...) =)

I had A&P senior year of high school and it's been pretty helpful during undergrad knowing basic definitions and things like that. Everyone in my physics class that had physics in high school says it was useless to take it but I don't know because I didn't have it.

I'd recommend not taking any AP classes. They are a waste of time and energy and you will often have to take them again in college.

Take a little of everything. Chem, physics, and a language.

I've had to take up to 4 semesters proficiency in college and it was helpful to have placed out of two of those semesters by taking it in high school.

If you like biology, then take A&P. It was probably my favorite class in high school. We dissected cats and had a great time. Ah the good old days of never having to read the book.

But in order to get into a top college, you pretty much have to have taken AP courses if they were available to you. Otherwise, a student will be seen as not willing to challenge themselves, which is a kiss of death in admissions.

Take as many APs as you can handle, and don't worry about anatomy. I took anatomy in high school (I was lucky enough to be in a wealthy district and a good chunk of the class was spent at a nearby hospital) but I don't remember much from it. It was enjoyable then, though, and that was the reason I took it. Colleges won't be giving much credence to any high school classes other than APs, just because they have no way of knowing what the quality of the coursework was.

I took AP Physics and AP Human A&P my senior year of HS. I felt that Physics was the better choice of the two but my A&P teacher was phenomenal! If you think both teacher have good reputations take them both if you can fit them in. The A&P helps with a lot of the biology courses you will take (I noticed it starting in Biol 1) But Physics is a tough college course so that is the one I would suggest the most!

Double up on languages instead. You may end up deciding you don't even want to be a doctor, or your college grades can decide it for you. As Psipsina suggested, most kids who start out premed in college aren't when they finish. Languages can be a great value if you become a doctor, or pretty much anything else. Being able to say you are conversational in multiple foreign languages looks far better on AMCAS than a load of AP stuff - it is probably one of the few things you can start as a high school student that might help you later on. As others have said, high school anatomy is not necessary or required for college, and college anatomy is not necessary nor required nor expected for med school.

I took both anatomy and physics in high school, and I can honestly say that anatomy didn't really do a thing for me. The only thing I got from it in medical school was a small amount of the terminology sounding familiar...not something an hour of studying wont help you with.

Those in high school and maybe even many in undergrad may not realize yet (I didn't fully understand until I got to medical school) that a HUGE part of anatomy is spent in lab during dissection. You can buy an anatomy textbook and study the figures and plates all you want to, but until you see it in a bunch of cadavers-yes it has to be humans-you wont learn it. The point of medicine is to not only learn it, but know how the variations look, because no two people will have the exact same internal structure. This is why much of the surgeons time towards the beginning of an operation is spent identifying important structures within the area they are working with.

Physics will be far more helpful at this point than anatomy. When you take physiology in medical school you'll be using much of the physics you've learned-like circuits when doing action potentials, and vectors with reading ECG's. As stated before, anatomy is straight memorization and can be learned later. Understanding the physics will give you a leg up when you re-take it in college and do physio in med school. There's no way you can have access to human cadavers in high school, so you cant see how it relates to reading MRI/CT/X-ray or when operating; an important part of what med school is supposed to allow you to do.

In short, just enjoy high school while you still have it around! That also goes for college when you get there. When you get to med school, you'll get so much info to learn you'll wish you were still able to decide if you could get away with not taking courses! So take less while you can :D Good luck to you!

Double up on languages instead. You may end up deciding you don't even want to be a doctor, or your college grades can decide it for you. As Psipsina suggested, most kids who start out premed in college aren't when they finish. Languages can be a great value if you become a doctor, or pretty much anything else. Being able to say you are conversational in multiple foreign languages looks far better on AMCAS than a load of AP stuff - it is probably one of the few things you can start as a high school student that might help you later on. As others have said, high school anatomy is not necessary or required for college, and college anatomy is not necessary nor required nor expected for med school.

That too, I regret not taking languages more seriously in high school and college while I had the time to learn :thumbup:

Well, the only anatomy that interested me in high school was.....well, nevermind, this is a family show.

But in order to get into a top college, you pretty much have to have taken AP courses if they were available to you. Otherwise, a student will be seen as not willing to challenge themselves, which is a kiss of death in admissions.

Take as many APs as you can handle, and don't worry about anatomy. I took anatomy in high school (I was lucky enough to be in a wealthy district and a good chunk of the class was spent at a nearby hospital) but I don't remember much from it. It was enjoyable then, though, and that was the reason I took it. Colleges won't be giving much credence to any high school classes other than APs, just because they have no way of knowing what the quality of the coursework was.

Luvs your avatar ;)

Maybe so, but I really don't think it matters where you went to undergrad unless you are trying to go to one of the top medical schools. Of course I don't think it matters anyway since the MCAT is far more important than where you spent 4 years of your life. To add, many smaller schools have far more research opportunities than big name schools and a lot less competition for research positions.