Anatomy&Physiology : could I go without it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bepiozo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
SO the time has come for me to either take Anatomy and Physiology (2 separate courses each with labs at my uni) or go without it. The Opt schools I'm interested in that require it is SCCO, Berkeley, and NOVA.

Of course, I've heard horror stories about Anatomy (esp) and Physiology ... and I'm going into my junior year so I'm afraid it'll probably lower my GPA (currently 3.6). I'm wondering if it's worth it. I suck at memorization. On the other hand, I'm also wondering if it'll help me out a lot if I do end up in Opt school? Or maybe it'll help with the OAT?

Ah also, not really on topic, but I noticed Berkeley said they would only accept credits from AP classes if the undergrad university had approved it and if I had gotten a 4 or 5. I got a 3 in Calc BC but an A in the class, so my university accepted it... does this mean Berkeley won't? So I'd have to take a year of Calc!? (If so.... screw that)

Edit: Ah and same question for Ochem labs..

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I took the OAT without Physiology (which I am taking this quarter) but I can see its benefit if I had taken it prior to writing the OAT. I think taking both Anatomy and Physiology will help you on the OAT biology section.

Oh man, anatomy and phys in undergrad have helped me SO much in optometry school. I definitely recommend taking them, otherwise you're probably going to feel like you're way behind ESPECIALLY with neuro. You'll have a much easier time (I think) in OD school if you've taken them already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take both classes for no other reason than they are both incredibly interesting subjects. Physiology is more interesting than anatomy.

Isn't a year of biology going to cover stuff similar to anatomy and physiology?

Of course, I've heard horror stories about Anatomy (esp) and Physiology ... and I'm going into my junior year so I'm afraid it'll probably lower my GPA (currently 3.6). I'm wondering if it's worth it. I suck at memorization. On the other hand, I'm also wondering if it'll help me out a lot if I do end up in Opt school? Or maybe it'll help with the OAT?

Ah also, not really on topic, but I noticed Berkeley said they would only accept credits from AP classes if the undergrad university had approved it and if I had gotten a 4 or 5. I got a 3 in Calc BC but an A in the class, so my university accepted it... does this mean Berkeley won't? So I'd have to take a year of Calc!? (If so.... screw that)

Edit: Ah and same question for Ochem labs..

Anatomy and Physiology is not that bad if you dedicate your time to it and study hard...I took it over the summer...but I also took this course in high school so I've taken two dosages of it and both times I felt like I learned incredible things...Ive also heard from students at Nova that taking this course during your undergraduate years will help you alot during Opt. school so I would recommend you taking it for sure!!!....maybe you can take it over the summer so that you can focus on this class only?

About the AP calc thing, I think you should just call Berkely up and ask them personally whether they will accept it or not.

What about O'Chem labs?

Biology only gives you a brief intro to Anatomy and Physiology...and I'm talking reallly "brief"....because one year of Biology has to cover more than just the human body, including evolution, the cell, molecular biology, diseases, etc.

Anatomy and Physiology covers way more in regards to the human body and how it functions at a more superficial level

I don't know about other schools but my intro bio was heavily focused on plants and animals other than humans. They covered the basics of cells and some occasional information about the human body but it was very brief.

What I am learning now in A&P is MUCH more in depth and for sure would have helped me out on the bio section of the OAT. Plus I have now memorized (and understand) a ton of things related to the body which I am hoping will make the amount of info I need to learn in optometry school a little less (as little as it may be it is better than nothing!).

In my experience, biology teaches one a lot of things, but, agreed, it is huge, broad subject, and the human body does not receive such strong focus. Nonetheless, anatomy/physiology is a year-long course, and, as most opt. schools don't require it, I think, for me, it doesn't make too much sense to pursue it. Of course, if a person is looking to fill elective credits, A&P might certainly not be a waste of time.

As others have mentioned, A&P would be helpful for the OAT (physiology more so than anatomy). I think physiology is helpful to REALLY understand how the body functions and its helpful for other courses. Even if its not required, if you have the time to take one, I'd personally suggest physiology over anatomy. I thought anatomy was a waste of time, but that's just me.

I would definitely take A&P for two reasons.

1) It will definitely help you in optometry school, and likely on the OAT as well.

2) You need to get used to taking tough courses because that's what you'll be doing each semester in optometry school. If you can't handle A&P now, that doesn't bode well for your future in school.

Good to know. I postponed my graduation by a year to take physiology, anatomy, as well as microbiology and a few other science courses. Does anyone know if the adcom looks at this favorably (if you've done well obviously), or are they indifferent?

Good to know. I postponed my graduation by a year to take physiology, anatomy, as well as microbiology and a few other science courses. Does anyone know if the adcom looks at this favorably (if you've done well obviously), or are they indifferent?

They do look at it. In fact, I was under the impression that SCCO required two semester of general chem. When I applied, I said "ah, i'll have to take it before I matriculate." It turned out that they were willing to accept a semester of biochemistry (this is something they only do with applicants from UC Berkeley). So I got lucky and I now I don't need to take another semester of gen chem.

But I was a student who took courses I genuinely enjoyed or was interested in. I had no idea I wanted to become an optometrist. I always cringe when students ask "do I really need to take this?" Just take it, it might be interesting.

Oh, I definitely agree with that. I'm finishing up my extra year right now, and it just so happens that all these courses are useful for optometry :)