eb520

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to take the OAT in the spring or summer of next year and was wondering, how much anatomy and/or physiology is on the OAT? Human Physiology is one of the hardest biology courses at my school, so I was wondering if it's worth it to try and take that class or if I will be just as well off buying a study book and going off of that. I also know some schools require (or at least strongly recommend) A&P as a prerequisite, so should I take the class or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to take the OAT in the spring or summer of next year and was wondering, how much anatomy and/or physiology is on the OAT? Human Physiology is one of the hardest biology courses at my school, so I was wondering if it's worth it to try and take that class or if I will be just as well off buying a study book and going off of that. I also know some schools require (or at least strongly recommend) A&P as a prerequisite, so should I take the class or not?
Take the class, majority of optometry schools ask for anatomy and physiology. It does come out on the OAT, but for the exam you can just study off a book like Kaplan and you'll be just fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, thank you! I’ve been studying with a 2016 Kaplan book. I’m sure it will be just as helpful. I take my test in the next few weeks and I’m really nervous about it. I don’t think I’ll ever feel 100% prepared. Do you have any advice? Anything I should focus my studies on? Honestly, any suggestions would be so helpful! I got provisionally accepted without taking my OAT. I don’t want my acceptance to be revoked if I do poorly. :(

Okay, thank you! I’ve been studying with a 2016 Kaplan book. I’m sure it will be just as helpful. I take my test in the next few weeks and I’m really nervous about it. I don’t think I’ll ever feel 100% prepared. Do you have any advice? Anything I should focus my studies on? Honestly, any suggestions would be so helpful! I got provisionally accepted without taking my OAT. I don’t want my acceptance to be revoked if I do poorly. :(
What to focus on it's based on how much time you have left. In how many weeks do you take it?

I’m taking the test in about 4 weeks.
My best advice is to figure out what you do know, what you don't know and what you might know.
At this point you have to be honest with yourself. As far as material, I would work on what you "might know" to improve and change it to the " you do know". Personally I would work on my "i might know" daily until I knew 100% the material and it become the "i know" material. The " i don't know material" (which hopefully isn't much) I would work on every other day that way if it transferred to the "I might know" stack I'd repeat it more often and hopefully end up in the "i know stack". And the material that " i knew" i would review it once a week Bc i already know it. Work on your strengths which is what's going to help you on the exam.
If your problem is technique then I would narrow it the problem & fix it ASAP. running out of time? Time yourself and pase yourself thought out the exam. Work on the sessions you are good at first and then go back to the ones you aren't so good at. Remember it's all about points. Each question wether is easy/hard, short/long they are all worth 1 point so try getting as much questions right as possible. I would go for all easy/ fast questions at first and strategically work my way back to the hard/ time taking ones.
The day before the exam do not touch any material. I know it's easy to say hard to do but TRUST ME it's the best thing you can do. You are able to let your brain process all the information you have been inputting for the past few months. That day, plan a fun activity to reward yourself for the hard work. Have a goodnight sleep the night before the exam ( take melatonin if you think you'd be too nervous to sleep) and keep positive thoughts before and during the exam. Don't let your brain deviate to what you don't know and insecurities but rather what you do know, how well you've prepared for this moment and how you'll rock the exam. Things will work out just keep positive.

Hi everyone,

Hi I'm a first year O.D. student. I studied with the Kaplan 2017 OAT book and also Princeton Review's Cracking the OAT. My OAT did not have a lot of in depth anatomy, I would focus more on plant biology to be honest. For school however, anatomy will be very helpful. Head and Neck is one of the most challenging courses for my classmates who have never taken Anatomy and Phys I and II before, and the anatomy just builds from there so it's a good idea to get familiar with it early on.

Reactions: 1 user

I would really focus on doing as many practice exams and problems as possible. Even if you haven't fully covered all content it would be better to just go through a ton of problems because the concepts will get drilled in.