Anesthesia Audition Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chocolateagar04

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone

I am going to be starting an audition rotation in Anesthesia soon. How does one really stand out as a student on Anesthesia? Do you try to stay all day and weekends?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1. Show up when they are setting up the room
2. Ask you you can help
3. Be involved in as many aspects of induction as possible-- masking, placing IVs, intubating, LMA's-- listen to your resident/fellow/attending and learn to do it right
4. Learn about what's involved once the drapes go up. Volunteer to do things like empty the foley, check the eyes, chart (if it's a paper system), draw labs from the art line once you've learned what it involves
5. You can watch the surgery-- but as an anesthesiologist.
6. Be with the anesthesiologist when they pre-op patients
7. Stay till the day is done unless you have lectures you need to go to.
8. See if you can take a few calls with the team to see what happens at night (institution dependent) and get involved
9. Don't be annoying (this sounds crazy, but some students overdo it-- it's a lot easier NOT to have a med student following you around when you're a resident)
10. Meet with the program director at the beginning and end-- at the beginning find out what expectations are if you can and at the end to just chat and schmooze and tell them how much you loved it ;-)

Good luck.

As above, don't refuse to go home. The way to make the best impression is to do whatever you can to make the residents day better, in a quiet, unassuming manner. Find out where the supply room is so that when you guys realize your cart is out of something you can quickly run and restock it. Make and label syringes for the next case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks,

Are there any absolutely MUST KNOW topics before to go over?

Also are there any topics that if you can show that you have a solid understanding of that would look super impressive?

Thanks again for all the help.

Good advice so far, but also be receptive to what your resident expects from you. Offer to do whatever you can, but don't get in the way, and don't be too persistent.

I tend to be very particular about certain things, and I don't want someone else in my business. I'm happy to talk to you about almost anything, and let you handle the airway, etc. if I think you are capable. Ask any question you want, and I'll do my best to answer.

Unless you'll be with me for a few days, I don't want you to (mess up my) chart, and frankly I probably don't want you to touch my art line. And I would never ask you to empty the foley bag, 'cause that's my job, and it's not very educational for you. I will rarely let you draw up any drugs, but I'll probably let you push.

Point is, we each have different personalities. Read the personality of the person you are assigned to, and act accordingly. If you can arrange to work with one person for consecutive days, try to do so, because you will get to do more as they recognize your skill. But recognize that some of us like our own little personal space at the head of the bed, so if someone suggests you go take a break, just take the break.