Anesthesia chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chagas

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know you've seen this before but I'm trying to get a feel for my chances at some mid to top notch anesthesia programs in the northeast. I realize that numbers are only good at getting interviews. DO, 97 % comlex, top 5 ranking, no USMLE, little research experience, great LOR's from anesthesia clerkships. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds to me like you'll do fine in the match. You have great scores and class standing. LOR are important too. Just make sure you are polite and as normal as possible at interviews. That's all they want to find out about you...that you're a team player and not some psycho. I think they are looking for well-rounded personalities as much as possible. Just apply to enough programs in the geographical areas you want and get your applications in ASAP....and you will do fine. Keep us posted!

Concerning your LOR...make sure that you get letters from reputable programs and not from Dr. Joe Smoe from the local community hospital. On one of my interviews, the program director made mention of the fact that most of the DO applicants had letters solely from Docs that work at community hospitals. Take the time to rotate at a large teaching institution and obtain letters from reputable individuals who work in the department. I promise...it will pay off!;)

Members don't see this ad :)
...is one rec. letter from an anesthesiologist enough or do programs mandate that all letters come from them. Along similar lines, would one stellar anesthesiology rec. letter plus 2/3 above average letters from other rotations look better than the one stellar plus 2/3 mediocre gas letters?

Your credentials look good. In my experience, the only thing I can see hurting you is no USMLE. That will put you at a disadvantage to others who have taken it when it comes down the line, even though you have COMLEX. YOu may want to take the USMLE stat. :eek: