Anesthesia chief residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schooner

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a medical student in my third years, I've noticed that some residency programs (ie. surgery) designate all of their residents "Chiefs" in their final year on training. In other programs (ie. medicine) senior residents apply for a chief year or are otherwise selected. In a program like anesthesiology where there may be more than 20 residents in a class and only a few chief residents, how are the chiefs selected? Do they apply for the position? Or are they selected by faculty? Or some other method? Also, what does it mean for the resident who is selected as chief resident in terms of their career?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

As a medical student in my third years, I've noticed that some residency programs (ie. surgery) designate all of their residents "Chiefs" in their final year on training. In other programs (ie. medicine) senior residents apply for a chief year or are otherwise selected. In a program like anesthesiology where there may be more than 20 residents in a class and only a few chief residents, how are the chiefs selected? Do they apply for the position? Or are they selected by faculty? Or some other method? Also, what does it mean for the resident who is selected as chief resident in terms of their career?

Like Amyl said, Schooner, its usually an elected position by peers and attendings in anesthesiology.

I was an elected co-chief my last year of residency.

It was fun to list that on my CV when I was applying for jobs, but I don't think it meant much.

Members don't see this ad :)

At least at Rush we are voted on by the attendings. There is a resident vote but I don't think it counts for much of anything. Vote is a combination of personal traits, clinical skills, and board scores I believe. Not totally sure.

I'm not sure how much it helps with anything. However I can't hurt. Unless you screw the dept over.

My program (Navy), we were selected by our attendings.

I was selected Chief...all it it got me was a hardship tour at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

My program (Navy), we were selected by our attendings.

I was selected Chief...all it it got me was a hardship tour at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

youve always been chief huh?