Anesthesia Crit Care 2023-2024 Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

accmapp2023

Reaction score
Didn't see one of these up yet. How's everyone doing? I have one interview so far, applying primarily Cali and Midwest. Based on old threads seems like these next few weeks will be when the bulk of invites are sent out?

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Bump…

How’s the interview trail going for everyone? Any programs surprise you guys (for better or for worse)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

I am about half way through with interviews, definitely willing to talk directly if interested!

Has anyone heard from GW or Hopkins?

Interviewed at Hopkins recently. They said they’re still very early in the cycle at that time.

Hey!

I am about half way through with interviews, definitely willing to talk directly if interested!

Has anyone heard from GW or Hopkins?
Interviewed w/ Hopkins last month, it was a fantastic interview. Got the invite early in November. Didn't apply GW so cannot comment.

Congrats to both! EM or Anesthesia?

Bump…

How’s the interview trail going for everyone? Any programs surprise you guys (for better or for worse)?
Really liked and surprised by MCW - willing to help you do anything, good, well rounded experience, ECMO program is really up and coming and get great experience with that, the PD is wonderful and very up front about things they need to work on. Interview felt great.

Really liked and surprised by MCW - willing to help you do anything, good, well rounded experience, ECMO program is really up and coming and get great experience with that, the PD is wonderful and very up front about things they need to work on. Interview felt great.

With regards to feel… it’s been weird with zoom. There’s been a wide variety in the amount of time/effort programs are putting in these interview days and it’s had to look passed that. Some having full on presentations, etc (go-pro tours of the ICUs!), and some with just a 5 minute welcome and then a few interviews… one of my interview days was only an hour and a half.

I’ve also noticed a lot of dual applicants. Sometimes at least half of the applicants on a given interview day are dual.

Late to the game but I’m hopping in this thread - sending my apps off soon, may end up having to pick up a slot post match depending on how quickly my letter writers finish their letters!

What are peoples impressions of programs ?
I feel confident that most programs will give you what you need to be a competent ICU doc. That said there’s definitely some significant variability in these programs.

I’m personally looking for a chance to rotate in the MICU as much as possible. It seems like that’s more of a option out west, while programs on the east coast are more offer mostly SICU/CVICU time.

Hopkins q3/q4 call schedule was interesting. The fellows seem to like it but it doesn’t really mimic attending life. Not sure what others think.

Duke seems very cardiac heavy, with fellows spending 2-3 months in the cardiac ORs/dedicated TEE time.

Those are just a couple things that have stuck out to me off the top of my head.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel confident that most programs will give you what you need to be a competent ICU doc. That said there’s definitely some significant variability in these programs.

I’m personally looking for a chance to rotate in the MICU as much as possible. It seems like that’s more of a option out west, while programs on the east coast are more offer mostly SICU/CVICU time.

Hopkins q3/q4 call schedule was interesting. The fellows seem to like it but it doesn’t really mimic attending life. Not sure what others think.

Duke seems very cardiac heavy, with fellows spending 2-3 months in the cardiac ORs/dedicated TEE time.

Those are just a couple things that have stuck out to me off the top of my head.
I interviewed at both and agree with assessment of Hopkins and Duke

I interviewed at both and agree with assessment of Hopkins and Duke
Samesies re: Hopkins and Duke
Wasn't sure about Mayo, had heard some meh things, but there is a new PD taking over this year who really worked on revamping a lot and seems like you'll have excellent opportunities there with a huge variety of experience and the ability to cater your fellowship to your needs/desires. Honestly, most seem to be willing to give you whatever you want (to an extent).

Felt weird about UCSF based on interview interactions. The people were great, but it felt less personal than many of the others.

WashU rocks...all around.

Haven't really seen any red flags for any program thus far. Some I like less than others (mostly those that have primarily SICU rotations and less variety), but even still there seems to be some variety in those programs.

Reactions: 1 users
Samesies re: Hopkins and Duke
Wasn't sure about Mayo, had heard some meh things, but there is a new PD taking over this year who really worked on revamping a lot and seems like you'll have excellent opportunities there with a huge variety of experience and the ability to cater your fellowship to your needs/desires. Honestly, most seem to be willing to give you whatever you want (to an extent).

Felt weird about UCSF based on interview interactions. The people were great, but it felt less personal than many of the others.

WashU rocks...all around.

Haven't really seen any red flags for any program thus far. Some I like less than others (mostly those that have primarily SICU rotations and less variety), but even still there seems to be some variety in those programs.
I interviewed at Mayo as well. Felt like a lot of medicine and with off site rotations like ID and nephro so might be hard to fit in with their fellows and stuff? I didn’t want to feel like an external rotator. I’m sure still an amazing program.

Shout out to Wash U though, but I’m partial to it 😁

I interviewed at Mayo as well. Felt like a lot of medicine and with off site rotations like ID and nephro so might be hard to fit in with their fellows and stuff? I didn’t want to feel like an external rotator. I’m sure still an amazing program.

Shout out to Wash U though, but I’m partial to it 😁
lol a lot of medicine with 2 weeks neph, 2 weeks ID? and no weekends on those? I guess to me that seems pretty minimal and sounds like you are the one actually doing stuff on those (my interpretation, of course). TBH, I would probably never choose neph as an elective, but I think it's one of those that is probably very important, just sounds boring as hell and have no idea why someone would go into nephrology ;-)

Any others? thoughts on Utah? OHSU? Michigan? Vandy? Nebraska? Miami?

lol a lot of medicine with 2 weeks neph, 2 weeks ID? and no weekends on those? I guess to me that seems pretty minimal and sounds like you are the one actually doing stuff on those (my interpretation, of course). TBH, I would probably never choose neph as an elective, but I think it's one of those that is probably very important, just sounds boring as hell and have no idea why someone would go into nephrology ;-)

Any others? thoughts on Utah? OHSU? Michigan? Vandy? Nebraska? Miami?
I interviewed at Michigan. Great program. I didn’t see any real flaws. Lots of complex stuff. Maybe not much traumas? Definitely one of the top programs.

OHSU was okay. Didn’t seem to have the same complexity as some of the other top programs. I’m sure you would still be an outstanding intensivist coming from there l, however.

Personally I really liked Emory's curriculum that seems like a good combination of all flavor. Strong ECMO presence and CVICU sounds a good experience for the fellows. I'm also very sold on Mayo's idea of being Disneyland for physicians (however it's Disney in Minnesota )
Some PDs confirmed that number of applicants has dropped this year. Now almost done with all my interviews I feel that I have seen all other applicants on the screen at least once or twice and there are not that many of us lol. IDK what has been your experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Haha yeah I feel like It’s the same people at each interview… for whatever reason I was expecting a jump in applicants. Heard that the pandemic actually drew interest in CCM. Could be wrong…

does anyone know of “ranks” of the programs? I have heard some people talk about top tier middle tier etc but I haven’t been able to actually find a list of top programs. I mean obvs the biggest name places are probably top of the list, but how do the people decide that x program is the best? And on that note, what are everyone’s thoughts on what the top few programs are? Stanford Hopkins Vandy WashU Michigan? Is Mayo up there? Someone told me it’s bottom of the top tier or middle tier maybe? I interviewed at quite a few places and all seemed pretty excellent and hard to tell that they’d be that much “lower ranked” than other programs.
It doesn’t ultimately matter bc I’ll pick a program that I think is best fit for ME, but I’m really just curious lol

does anyone know of “ranks” of the programs? I have heard some people talk about top tier middle tier etc but I haven’t been able to actually find a list of top programs. I mean obvs the biggest name places are probably top of the list, but how do the people decide that x program is the best? And on that note, what are everyone’s thoughts on what the top few programs are? Stanford Hopkins Vandy WashU Michigan? Is Mayo up there? Someone told me it’s bottom of the top tier or middle tier maybe? I interviewed at quite a few places and all seemed pretty excellent and hard to tell that they’d be that much “lower ranked” than other programs.
It doesn’t ultimately matter bc I’ll pick a program that I think is best fit for ME, but I’m really just curious lol
Wash U is the best obviously

In all seriousness, I thought Columbia, Penn and Emory deserved recognition as top tier as well. Additionally, UCLA was really good too I thought

I thought Wash U had one of the most well rounded and multi disciplinary experience and is def one of the top programs. They have no shortage of complexity and I don’t think there’s anything lacking

Last edited:
Personally I really liked Emory's curriculum that seems like a good combination of all flavor. Strong ECMO presence and CVICU sounds a good experience for the fellows. I'm also very sold on Mayo's idea of being Disneyland for physicians (however it's Disney in Minnesota )
Some PDs confirmed that number of applicants has dropped this year. Now almost done with all my interviews I feel that I have seen all other applicants on the screen at least once or twice and there are not that many of us lol. IDK what has been your experience.
What does everyone think about Mayo’s call system? It looks like 3 days, 3 nights, 3 off. A lot of flipping but a decent amount of time off. Good? Bad?

What does everyone think about Mayo’s call system? It looks like 3 days, 3 nights, 3 off. A lot of flipping but a decent amount of time off. Good? Bad?

Seems pretty good tbh

What are people's thoughts on home call? For example, some programs require upwards of 3 nights of home call per week on top of your already challenging ICU schedule. I know fellowship is challenging out of necessity, but I'm also trying to be cognizant of the need to maintain a reasonable work life balance. I'm comparing programs that include significant amounts of home call versus programs that have absolutely no home call and only day shifts (generally 6 12's per week). I'm just concerned that the home call will completely ruin my circadian rhythm even if I'm "only" going in to the hospital half of the time.

For the EM applicants, what are your thoughts on programs that schedule/require ED shifts during the fellowship?

I think triaging issues from home/over the phone is something that you need to learn, and home call gives you opportunity. And generally I haven’t heard of many programs with home call that’s required the fellow to come in house all that often.

One of my ICU attendings told me to never go to a program with just home call which I kinda agree. Yes triaging phone calls is something to be learned but shouldn't take a whole fellowship year. It's a time to be at bedside and absorb clinical knowledge as much as you can. I put those home call only programs (not many) lower on my scoring system, depending whether they have exceptional ways of making up for chance to get more independence.
That being said, 28h call Q3 is not the most desired way to do it either IMO...

My strategy is to look up SDN, if a program hasn't been mentioned 27 different times in "X vs Y vs Z" kind of posts, how good can it be
LOL

Reactions: 2 users
One of my ICU attendings told me to never go to a program with just home call which I kinda agree. Yes triaging phone calls is something to be learned but shouldn't take a whole fellowship year. It's a time to be at bedside and absorb clinical knowledge as much as you can. I put those home call only programs (not many) lower on my scoring system, depending whether they have exceptional ways of making up for chance to get more independence.
That being said, 28h call Q3 is not the most desired way to do it either IMO...
That was my thought as well

Anyone have insight on Michigan vs Stanford vs WashU? Hard to decide between the 3 programs for me. I don’t care where I live, so geography doesn’t matter. Wanna get the most complex patients and best experience. Want to work hard but also be able to breathe some, like maybe little to no home call and stick to night float, which I think they all have.
I have no mentors at my program, so only can ask the internet for advice 😅

Anyone have insight on Michigan vs Stanford vs WashU? Hard to decide between the 3 programs for me. I don’t care where I live, so geography doesn’t matter. Wanna get the most complex patients and best experience. Want to work hard but also be able to breathe some, like maybe little to no home call and stick to night float, which I think they all have.
I have no mentors at my program, so only can ask the internet for advice

Haven’t interviewed WashU just speaking from my impression…Michigan is one of those heavily cardiac flavored programs where anesthesia doesn’t seem to have super strong presence in SICU but their CVICU is great experience. Stanford is one of its kind.. many MICU or what they call Med Surg ICU exposure. I haven’t seen any other places with such emphasis on MICU.
Just one way of looking at things. My mentor said you’d be more “marketable “ to have higher comfort level in CVICU since that’s anesthesia‘a niche. Depends on individual preferences too obv.

Overall thoughts on the UC programs? Specifically UCSF, UCLA and UCSD? Outside of location differences, they all seem pretty solid and will provide great training. Off the top of my head… UCSD seemed pretty cardiac heavy, UCLA offered good cardiac exposure too but they really stressed not being a “fellow dependent” program which I’m not sure is a good thing, and UCSF seemed great with some autonomy but some of the residents mentioned issues with the culture of the open/close nature of their units.

Overall thoughts on the UC programs? Specifically UCSF, UCLA and UCSD? Outside of location differences, they all seem pretty solid and will provide great training. Off the top of my head… UCSD seemed pretty cardiac heavy, UCLA offered good cardiac exposure too but they really stressed not being a “fellow dependent” program which I’m not sure is a good thing, and UCSF seemed great with some autonomy but some of the residents mentioned issues with the culture of the open/close nature of their units.
I interviewed at ucsd and UCLA. Ucsd seemed like you will be working. UCLA seemed like a great program especially with the mobile ecmo and really sick patients

EM applicant here...I also heard nothing yesterday. It's definitely a stressful waiting game without any clarity on whether or not programs intended to release offers on the first date. It's also the weekend now so I'm curious if we're unlikely to hear anything until Monday from the majority of programs. I wonder when they'll update the SOCCA exception list as well so we can see when spots are taken.

Actually, the SOCCA exception list is now updated. In case anyone wanted another way to add to their stress levels haha.

Looks like most of the exceptions listed are cards-anesthesia, couple are EM though

Actually, the SOCCA exception list is now updated. In case anyone wanted another way to add to their stress levels haha.
For the uninformed, are these spots that were filled outside the match? Looks like a few internal but what does “Applicant is making a commitment to come to the institution for more than one year” mean? ICU-CT combo?

The six agreed upon instances are as follows:

1. Applicants who are in active military service at the time of application.
  2. Applicants who are making a commitment to come to the institution of the ACCM fellowship for more than one year.
  3. Applicants who are enrolled in an anesthesiology residency outside of the USA at the time of the application.
  4. Applicants who reside outside the USA at the time of application or who are not eligible for ABA certification due to non US training.
  5. Applicants whose spouse or partner is applying for a GME-approved post graduate training program in a medical specialty in the same region as the ACCM fellowship.
  6. Internal candidates (ie, applicants who are currently in the anesthesiology or emergency medicine residency program at the same institution as the ACCM fellowship).
Source: Fellowships Overview - The Society of Critical Care Anesthesiologists

Most are internal anesthesiology resident candidates or combined critical care-cardiothoracic candidates w/ a few EM candidates sprinkled in thus far.

>1 year = Critical care/cardiothoracic and all EM applicants

Wow I wonder if programs doing exceptions will update this list once and for all , or whenever the application signs the deal.
Anyhow congrats to those who already settled!

This is way more stressful than the match, just watching programs on your list fill their spots while you wait for a call/email/whatever. Good luck to everyone waiting for an exception spot.

This is way more stressful than the match, just watching programs on your list fill their spots while you wait for a call/email/whatever. Good luck to everyone waiting for an exception spot.

True. I refreshed the page and somehow a few new exceptions popped out. On a Sunday afternoon lol.

If you’re like me just doing good old single year match…see you on the other side of May ?

Can someone post a link for the exceptions? How competitive is Anesthesia-CCM this year?