anesthesia interest at my school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ecf1975do

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i go to a DO school in the northeast... in my class of 110 there is only one other applying for anesthesia. the rest is FP, peds, IM (ugh) and ob-gyn

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't it better to have less people applying?? Less competition for your spot! Good luck with the appz.

medical residenies are like stocks in the market,,,,everything goes in cycles. now radiology and anesthesia are hot because of earnings and revenues. In 5 yrs gen surg may be the thing to do.
Its all supply and demand and what the job market outlook is at the time. If tommorow rads reimbursement went down significantly youll see it in the same demand as pathology or FP. MOST people choose their residency based on future lifestyle and earnings potential and thats what drives the residency "market".
anesthesia will continue to be HOT as long as the job market is good as this is true for most other fields. Just look 6-7 yrs ago when rads re=imbursement was crappy, no one was going into radilogy , and now you have to be super qualified to get in.

my dear friends its ALL about supply n demand!