Anesthesia Interview Days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zippa

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our 4th year schedule is due soon and was curious which days of the week were most of your interviews? Also when did interviews begin and end for you (e.g late novemeber to early jan)?

Members don't see this ad.

Day of the week was pretty random. My interviews were December/January heavy although I did have a couple in Nov and Feb. IMO it's better to schedule rotations that will let you leave for interviews rather than taking a month off, since there really isn't one best month to take off. Just my $.02.

Our 4th year schedule is due soon and was curious which days of the week were most of your interviews? Also when did interviews begin and end for you (e.g late novemeber to early jan)?

Early Nov to mid Jan. I think most interviews were either Wednesday or Saturday.

Members don't see this ad :)

Began late October and ended mid January. My interviews were mostly Mondays and Fridays, but most places had dates for most of the weekdays.

Early Nov to mid Jan. I think most interviews were either Wednesday or Saturday.

I didn't have any interviews on Saturday.

Began late oct ended mid jan. most of mine were nov and dec but I scheduled it that way based on my rotation/vacation schedule. Mon and Fri were the most common days, but I had them everyday of the week aside from Sunday.

Began late October and ended mid January. My interviews were mostly Mondays and Fridays, but most places had dates for most of the weekdays.

I didn't have any interviews on Saturday.

I would agree. Late Oct - Mid Jan. It varies for everyone. For me I only had two interview in December. But other applicants had a lot in Dec. It totally depends on what is available when you respond (therefore respond to your emails ASAP). Like one of the other posters said, I would schedule a flexible rotations like EM during Oct-Jan.

Don't schedule ICU or any medicine rotations during those months. You will likely have to take a vacation month during that time too. I would suggest taking a vaca month in Nov, Dec, or Jan. Those would likely be your busiest. Of the three, Nov would be probably the biggest bang for your buck (since in Dec - Jan there are extended breaks for Xmas & New Year. And in Jan you're only interviewing until mid Jan. Most places in mid Jan said that the end of their interviews were in Jan).

Last edited:
Interviews started in October, heaviest in Nov-Dec and ended mid-Jan
Vacation in November is best
Definitely schedule flexible rotations in Dec, Oct and Jan as well if you can. It was a mad rush to schedule at my school so do it fast.
Things to get: a nice suit bag so you're suit doesn't get wrinkled, good luggage with wheels, one of those airplane pillows that looks like a U (this was the most useful thing, made the plane rides comfortable)

you could probably schedule anything so long as it's an elective and not a required rotation. you will quickly realize next year that nobody gives a damn if fourth years show up or not. you have two objectives for next year, get a residency and enjoy life.

you could probably schedule anything so long as it's an elective and not a required rotation. you will quickly realize next year that nobody gives a damn if fourth years show up or not. you have two objectives for next year, get a residency and enjoy life.

:thumbup: Well said. I would even go further to say that you shouldn't schedule your vacation for interview season but instead use it at the end of the school year.