Anesthesia salaries decreasing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KluverBucy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i heard a story...is it true that insurance companies and medicare are reimbursing anesthesiologists less than they used to, and that this trend will continue? Pretty soon anesthesia won't be as lucrative as many once thought

Members don't see this ad.

I've spoken with several CA-3's at my school's program and none have complained about the salary. Several have commented, however, that the hours and in-house call in private practice were more than anticipated.

No doubt that trends in reimbursement across all specialties are heading down as private insurance tends to follow medicare reimbursement trends.

Has reimbursement for anesthesiologists gone down in the last fifteen years? Yes, but that was from the "golden era" of the 80's when many guys were making 7 figures to now mid to high 6 figures. That still places us in the upper echelon of physician reimbursement.

Don't pick anesthesiology just for the money or lifestyle with unreasonable expectations.

Members don't see this ad :)
In talking with several MDAs in private practice, there seems to be a consensus that salaries will continue to decline over the next ten years. Many predicted an average salary of $200K/year.

Their take-home point was not to go into this field for the money because it won't be there much longer.

It's up to the individual to decide if $200K/year is a lot of money.

DrRobert said:
In talking with several MDAs in private practice, there seems to be a consensus that salaries will continue to decline over the next ten years. Many predicted an average salary of $200K/year.

Their take-home point was not to go into this field for the money because it won't be there much longer.

It's up to the individual to decide if $200K/year is a lot of money.

$200K/year is a highly skeptical outlook. Even working average (55-60) hours a week doing only medicare cases will get you more than $200K. I'd say more likely $300-$350K for 55-60 hours/week in the OR.

you know i was under the impression that salaries were trending slowly down (a global phenomenon for all specialties), but was surprised to find out about a few CA-2s (starting early) showing me ads for jobs starting at 280 and 2 starting at 360!!! (those last 2 are rural of course)

There are still great jobs in the big cities as well. I turned down immediate partnership from a group in Vegas with $500-600K/year and a $300K starting here in Dallas. One of my classmates signed for $250 starting with $30K signing bonus and two years to partnership. The crunch hasn't hit yet.

you definitely be unhappy. this is probably more true in anesthesia than other specialites.

Also, nobody can accurately predict future salaries. income is a function of many things, supply-demand, economica realities of medicine. thus, pay attention to the above comment.

Why will you be less happy as an anesthesiologist?

yea many attendings agree that in the near future anesthesiologists won't be making near what they are now. Not only that, but also that it'll be really hard to find jobs anywhere except for the middle of nowhere (this is already the case in many big cities).

Spoken like someone who will be applying for anesthesiology in September (trying to scare others into not applying). Very low...

uhsstudent said:
yea many attendings agree that in the near future anesthesiologists won't be making near what they are now. Not only that, but also that it'll be really hard to find jobs anywhere except for the middle of nowhere (this is already the case in many big cities).

NYC_anest_2004 said:
Spoken like someone who will be applying for anesthesiology in September (trying to scare others into not applying). Very low...

you're right, you got me. my whole intention was to scare others away from anesthesiology. you must be the smart one in your class... :laugh: :laugh:

UTSouthwestern said:
Don't pick anesthesiology just for the money or lifestyle with unreasonable expectations.

I couldn't agree with this more.

As a soon-to-be-starting-my-training future anesthesiologist, I have to say that you gotta pick a field that fits with your long-term goals and what makes you happiest. For me, like many others choosing this field, money is second. I choose to live very well no matter how much money I happen to be making. Everyone has to learn to live within their means anyway, however much those means happen to be.

I chose anesthesiology because, among many other things, it fits my personality best. I enjoy doing procedures and I like to work on one problem at a time. I enjoy having time to think in a directive fashion about what I am doing and making decisions that have a direct impact on patient care. While each patient (especially the sick ones) can provide a rich background of medical challenges, it is also appealing that there is a limited scope of medications that fall under the domain of the anesthesiologist - and you can truly become a master at using them. Likewise, you get nearly instantaneous results with your patients. And, at the end of the day, you can go home with the satisfaction that you actually accomplished something.

These are some of the reasons you should go into the field, and not expressly because of perceived salary and lifestyle benefits. We should remember to fight to get what we deserve (because any way you slice it, it's better for the field), but still not expect that we can always eat our cake and still have it too.

-Skip

so for those of us who were interested in gas for the ching, can anyone suggest another specialty in which the money is good and the lifestyle cush?

Derm, but you probably already knew that. Were you wanting specialties where you don't need a 245+?

bigfrank said:
Derm, but you probably already knew that. Were you wanting specialties where you don't need a 245+?

yeah, because i'm sorta lazy and don't plan on studying that much. hmmm, maybe i should go into dentistry.