Anesthesia<--->Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

policymaker

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We've all heard of surgical residents switching to anesthesia, but what about the other way around? Anybody ever decide that the other side of the drapes is more appealing? I'm leaning towards going into anesthesia because you get to be in the OR, have better hours and still get to do proceedures. But I really enjoyed my surgery rotation and can see myself becoming a surgeon too. Were I to choose anesthesia, what if I change my mind later? Thanks foryour advice.

Members don't see this ad.

policymaker said:
We've all heard of surgical residents switching to anesthesia, but what about the other way around? Anybody ever decide that the other side of the drapes is more appealing? I'm leaning towards going into anesthesia because you get to be in the OR, have better hours and still get to do proceedures. But I really enjoyed my surgery rotation and can see myself becoming a surgeon too. Were I to choose anesthesia, what if I change my mind later? Thanks foryour advice.

Not in a million years. But thats just me. Rather be a Taco Bell manager than a general surgeon.

you can do anesthesia... and then if you still want to do more procedures including surgical implants you can do interventional pain... better hours, better pay, better lifestyle...

Members don't see this ad :)
Q: What three skills does every surgeon demand of his/her anesthesiologist?

A: Be able to
1 -- Extend the incision
2 -- Relax bone
3 -- And when something goes to hell, to give the surgeon the brains he/she was never born with.

"Being an anesthesiologist is like being a piliot of a jet plane while the surgeon is in the back cutting hydrolic cables, starting small fires and throwing feul out of the window."

Everyday at work I am so happy cause I don't have to do what the surgeons are doing.

Trauma Fluffer said:
Q: What three skills does every surgeon demand of his/her anesthesiologist?

A: Be able to
1 -- Extend the incision
2 -- Relax bone
3 -- And when something goes to hell, to give the surgeon the brains he/she was never born with.

Raising and lowering the table is also key :laugh:

To all surgeons, but realy only the hot ones, remember:

An anesthesiologist is like a good pair of pants, you never know what you have until they've gone missing.

fuzzy_wuzzy said:
"Being an anesthesiologist is like being a piliot of a jet plane while the surgeon is in the back cutting hydrolic cables, starting small fires and throwing feul out of the window."

Everyday at work I am so happy cause I don't have to do what the surgeons are doing.

I love that quote! Where did you get it?

I have thought about switching. I like the idea of caring for the patient from the beginning to the end....kind of like the old days of medicine when there weren't that many specialties.

One of the reasons I liked critical care....a lot of the patients would die if there weren't intensivists....dying is certainly to the end.

However, in modern day medicine, there is no way you can do it all....so I settled on what I'm doing.

Do you ever get tired of putting in lines and intubating when surgeons seem to be having all the fun? I guess my real question is, what keeps anesthesia interesting?

P.S. Yes, surgeons need anesthesia as much as vice versa, but everyone in the OR plays an important role, even the janitor who cleans up the room after a case!

when you have to resort to metaphors to make your job seem cool you've already lost

Being an anesthesiologist is kind of like watching someone else play video games. When you are in the OR, time seems to drag on forever in some operations while the surgeons are utterly oblivious to the time.

However, let me tell you about the day I decided to become an anesthesiologist: It was during my third year of medical school and I was scrubbed in with TWO attending surgeons, a resident and two scrub nurses and we were all slaving away on this myomectomy for a woman who had multiple fibroids who wanted to become pregnant. Three hours into the case (I was the human retractor), I looked over the curtain and saw the anesthesiologist kicking back relaxing with his arms up and hands behind his head. Then, the anesthesia coordinator came in and asked him if he needed a break! I knew at that moment that anesthesiology was the field for me...

so you're lazy....I guess if that works for you..

Also, to call an OB a surgeon is a bit of a stretch.. Carry on

Members don't see this ad :)
gaspasser2004 said:
I looked over the curtain and saw the anesthesiologist kicking back relaxing with his arms up and hands behind his head.
that's quite an inspiration.

anyway, anesthesia is a cool job. you need gas dudes as much as you need the surgeon, no doubt. you micromanage the patient and make sure they are stable during induction and post-procedure and makes their terrifying operation as comfortable as possible. and anesthesia pays more a lot of the times, with better hours. you don't have to take care of the patient post-op. if those are the things that motivate you, you can't go wrong with anesthesia.

surgeons are the ones that take care of the problem that led to the surgery in the first place. they work hard, work long hours, manage a lot of the post-op complications, run clinics, and often get paid less than the gas dudes who can just jump from one procedure to the other. however you treat the problem and take care of the patient from initial consult to discharge. i personally think that's quite special, i prefer that to jumping from one anonymous body to another. *cough IR* if that's what motivates you, surgery is a good choice.

of course there's also the factor of being able to sit back with your hands behind your head while others are working hard, and if that's what motivates you then you should consider other fields as well, like rads, path, derm, psych, rad onc, neuro, rheum, heme/onc, pm&r, etc.

I'll tell you what, it all comes down to this. You can either:A)Live to work, or B) Work to live(and live very nicely). A=Surgery. B=Anesthesiology. If lifestyle, and enjoying life outside of medicine is appealing, which I think is incredibly appealing, then don't do surgery. If you would not be happy in life without doing surgery, do surgery. But many people have regreted the latter choice and opted later for the first. Just do what is important to you, no one can dictate your happiness. For me, in this day and age, I don't know why anybody would want to slave away their years and become bitter in the process. You only live once. Good Luck! I can't wait to start Gas in a few months. By the way I value my time outside of the hospital, that is very,very impotant to me.

Dr. C
:D

The whole thing about surgeons having to work more than anesthesiologists is becoming more of a myth. Sure during residency surgeons work harder. But once you're done a surgeon can tailor his/her hours. You can do trauma cover just a few days a week and make a lot of money...more than some anesthesiologists working full-time.

fuzzy_wuzzy said:

Seems like surgeons and anesthesiologists will always disagree on who's in charge, and for some reason it's always an airline analogy. One I heard from a surgeon:

"The surgeon is the pilot who has the ultimate responsibility, the anesthesiologist is the stewardess making sure the patient is comfortable."

Hey man don't take my word for it, ask just about anyone. And Trauma call is not exactly easy work my friend. You get paid just as much doing gas. Much has to do with location. Overall, gas is much better lifestyle, without having to have and build up a practice, etc. You can just pick up and go anywhere, whenever you want. Or decide you want to work part-time for 6 months without compromising a practice. The list goes on and on. Its not just the work you are doing, but the options of tayloring your life, and lifestyle however you want.

Hi
I loved surgery, and was seriously considering it until I watched a surgeon nearly kill a guy getting a partial hepatectomy, and the anesthesiologist save his a$$. The anesthesiologists never really look like they're working hard, but that's because they are great at preparing themselves for tons of bad scenarios. I would urge you to try your hand at running the show behind the curtain, and you'll pretty much know why all of us enjoy it so much.
Anyhow, real-time medicine (anesthesiology) really gets me going b/c it has the acuity of surgery, the cerebrality of medicine, and the hours of a banker :D

One more thing

I hate rounding

gaspasser2004 said:
........Three hours into the case (I was the human retractor), I looked over the curtain and saw the anesthesiologist kicking back relaxing with his arms up and hands behind his head...

My hospital is a clinical training site for a CRNA school. They come to us after a full year of strictly classroom and simulation laboratory practice.

Several years ago I was with an SRNA on his very first day, with zero cases in his log book. The first case was a long ortho case. The student got the tube in, we discussed flowmeter and vaporizer settings, then he sat in the only chair (wrong move #1 - what am I supposed to sit in), put his feet up on the anesthesia machine with hands behind his head (wrong move #2), and said, "yep, this is why I went into anesthesia -- so I could kick back and take it easy." (wrong move #3). The orthopod's gaze locked with mine over the ether screen.

This SRNA never dug himself out from his hole for the rest of his time with us.

trinityalumnus said:
My hospital is a clinical training site for a CRNA school. They come to us after a full year of strictly classroom and simulation laboratory practice.

Several years ago I was with an SRNA on his very first day, with zero cases in his log book. The first case was a long ortho case. The student got the tube in, we discussed flowmeter and vaporizer settings, then he sat in the only chair (wrong move #1 - what am I supposed to sit in), put his feet up on the anesthesia machine with hands behind his head (wrong move #2), and said, "yep, this is why I went into anesthesia -- so I could kick back and take it easy." (wrong move #3). The orthopod's gaze locked with mine over the ether screen.

This SRNA never dug himself out from his hole for the rest of his time with us.

Hmmmm.....Matt??

I started off general surgery for reasons I ultimately determined were wrong. I loved my M3 surgery rotation. Doing procedures, fast paced nature, Men's club attitude, ETC... Arranged M4 year with Trauma ICU, Surg ICU, CT Surg, Transplant, Sub I surg, Med ICU then all the easier rotations. By my MICU rotation I was teaching my PGY2 IM residents how to put in subclavian/IJ lines and chest tubes etc.. Loved bedside procedures.

Then during internship I found that taking out gallbladders was not so exciting. And one time post call after a particularly bad night, I found myself as the "intern retractor" after being awake for 38hours straight on a case that could have easily gone the next AM or have been turned over to the next team. This was pre 80 hour work week. lol we were more like 120 hour work week.

I decided that there was more to life than taking out gallbladders and being so into the Men's club that you don’t have any kind of life outside work. (Not to mention being dangerous after being awake that long) So, I looked at several other specialties and in the end decided on Anesthesiology, for what I feel is finally the right reasons. I went into surgery b/c I liked procedures, critical patients, minute to minute changes and interventions that immediately affect the patient. I will get all that with Anesthesia and as a bonus I don’t have to follow the patient (Unless I do a fellowship in pain or CC)

Now, I don’t start my CA1 year until July but Ill never regret turning away from surgery. Through that time I hated who I was and what I was becoming, even though I was good at it. My PD and fellow residents all tried to talk me into reconsidering.

In the end you have to decide what you want out of life. And my decision was to have a job I enjoyed but not to be defined by it.

usnavdoc said:
I started off general surgery for reasons I ultimately determined were wrong. I loved my M3 surgery rotation. Doing procedures, fast paced nature, Men's club attitude, ETC... Arranged M4 year with Trauma ICU, Surg ICU, CT Surg, Transplant, Sub I surg, Med ICU then all the easier rotations. By my MICU rotation I was teaching my PGY2 IM residents how to put in subclavian/IJ lines and chest tubes etc.. Loved bedside procedures.

Then during internship I found that taking out gallbladders was not so exciting. And one time post call after a particularly bad night, I found myself as the "intern retractor" after being awake for 38hours straight on a case that could have easily gone the next AM or have been turned over to the next team. This was pre 80 hour work week. lol we were more like 120 hour work week.

I decided that there was more to life than taking out gallbladders and being so into the Men's club that you don’t have any kind of life outside work. (Not to mention being dangerous after being awake that long) So, I looked at several other specialties and in the end decided on Anesthesiology, for what I feel is finally the right reasons. I went into surgery b/c I liked procedures, critical patients, minute to minute changes and interventions that immediately affect the patient. I will get all that with Anesthesia and as a bonus I don’t have to follow the patient (Unless I do a fellowship in pain or CC)

Now, I don’t start my CA1 year until July but Ill never regret turning away from surgery. Through that time I hated who I was and what I was becoming, even though I was good at it. My PD and fellow residents all tried to talk me into reconsidering.

In the end you have to decide what you want out of life. And my decision was to have a job I enjoyed but not to be defined by it.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but what you said exemplifies what I have heard about people not being able to "hack it" as a surgeon even if they are interested in it. A surgeon once told me it's not enough to like it or be good at it, you need to have the ability to do it day in and day out. That's why a fair number of people leave and pursue other residencies like anesthesiology that are also procedure-oriented and let you be in the OR environment. Also that you don't know what you're really in for until you become a GS resident, not even 3rd year rotation or 4th year electives like you mentioned.

One question: you mentioned doing internship prior to the 80 hour work week but that you're starting CA1 this year. Were you still a GS resident during the time in between?

misterioso, please don't take THIS the wrong way, but it's fascintaitng to me that you continue to use the word "hack" it to describe one's choice to pursue a field. it's not a matter of being able to "hack" it, which implies ability to me. it's a matter of wanting it, tolerating it, and enjoying it such that you may thrive in it. we can all "hack" it if we want to (it's not that hard...none of this is once you decide you want it), but we don't want to, and so we choose something else. it doesn't choose us, we choose it. at least that's the way i see it happening the majority of the time in the best case scenario. also, i think if we elevate the level of the discussion somewhat by choosing better language, we can veer away from the pissing contests that we tend to get into with this topic. it's all just a matter of choice, dude...choice of profession, choice of words, etc.

and i think word choice is important if you are looking to connect with people via your point, rather than alienate them, which i assume you are. all simply my opinion. take care!

Before this thread gets hijacked, let me ask another question. I think it's fair to say that surgery residency is a lot more brutal than anesthesia. What about life after residency? I keep hearing that you can shape your practice based on what's important to you, but realistically, I doubt a surgeon can work 40 hours per week as easily as an anesthesiologist.

How about lets turn this the other way a bit: How many anesthesia groups have pretty brutal hours. I've seen 2 private groups now (small sample I know) that routinely work post call, are actually up all night on call with the second call person being there until midnight most of the time, and pretty darn long days the rest of the time. Now granted I see the ads for groups advertising much less time put in than this, but if lifestyle is what we're all after then this ain't a 40 hour gig in some (many?) places.

2ndyear said:
How about lets turn this the other way a bit: How many anesthesia groups have pretty brutal hours. I've seen 2 private groups now (small sample I know) that routinely work post call, are actually up all night on call with the second call person being there until midnight most of the time, and pretty darn long days the rest of the time. Now granted I see the ads for groups advertising much less time put in than this, but if lifestyle is what we're all after then this ain't a 40 hour gig in some (many?) places.
Perhaps this is not your lifestyle offer, but if you work that hard in Gas you are sure to be making close to or more than 400K. Same cannot be said about surgery. Point is that is up to you if you want to take that job, more often then not you will be able to get the 40-50 hour a week job that lands you 300K. So hey like i said before you have many options. You can do Locums and pull in 300+ as well. Not with Surg. :sleep:

Misterioso said:
Please don't take this the wrong way, but what you said exemplifies what I have heard about people not being able to "hack it" as a surgeon even if they are interested in it. A surgeon once told me it's not enough to like it or be good at it, you need to have the ability to do it day in and day out. That's why a fair number of people leave and pursue other residencies like anesthesiology that are also procedure-oriented and let you be in the OR environment. Also that you don't know what you're really in for until you become a GS resident, not even 3rd year rotation or 4th year electives like you mentioned.

One question: you mentioned doing internship prior to the 80 hour work week but that you're starting CA1 this year. Were you still a GS resident during the time in between?

Not taking this the wrong way at all. I do think it’s kind of funny how you word things though.

It has nothing to do with being able to or not being able to hack it. I made a personal decision that general surgery was not for me. That is it. I wasn’t forced out. I chose to leave. What that surgeon told you applies to every area of medicine not just surgery. Especially during residency.

I don’t know if you are a pre-med or a med student, but alot of people at that level tend to believe the old adage that "you are either a surgeon or you are not." Well that is just not true. There is no special talent or characteristic that makes you a surgeon other than your own personal desire.

As I said at the bottom of my previous post: In the end you have to decide what you want out of life. And my decision was to have a job I enjoyed but not to be defined by it.

To answer your question. I did my internship in 01-02. Then I came on active duty with the Navy to serve as a general medical officer for the last 4 years. I get out this April then start residency in July.

usnavdoc said:
Not taking this the wrong way at all. I do think it’s kind of funny how you word things though.

It has nothing to do with being able to or not being able to hack it. I made a personal decision that general surgery was not for me. That is it. I wasn’t forced out. I chose to leave. What that surgeon told you applies to every area of medicine not just surgery. Especially during residency.

I don’t know if you are a pre-med or a med student, but alot of people at that level tend to believe the old adage that "you are either a surgeon or you are not." Well that is just not true. There is no special talent or characteristic that makes you a surgeon other than your own personal desire.

As I said at the bottom of my previous post: In the end you have to decide what you want out of life. And my decision was to have a job I enjoyed but not to be defined by it.

To answer your question. I did my internship in 01-02. Then I came on active duty with the Navy to serve as a general medical officer for the last 4 years. I get out this April then start residency in July.

congratulations and good luck with your new career.

lvspro said:
Hi
I loved surgery, and was seriously considering it until I watched a surgeon nearly kill a guy getting a partial hepatectomy, and the anesthesiologist save his a$$. The anesthesiologists never really look like they're working hard, but that's because they are great at preparing themselves for tons of bad scenarios. I would urge you to try your hand at running the show behind the curtain, and you'll pretty much know why all of us enjoy it so much.
Anyhow, real-time medicine (anesthesiology) really gets me going b/c it has the acuity of surgery, the cerebrality of medicine, and the hours of a banker :D

One more thing

I hate rounding

Whats rounding? :D

fre****y said:
misterioso, please don't take THIS the wrong way, but it's fascintaitng to me that you continue to use the word "hack" it to describe one's choice to pursue a field. it's not a matter of being able to "hack" it, which implies ability to me. it's a matter of wanting it, tolerating it, and enjoying it such that you may thrive in it. we can all "hack" it if we want to (it's not that hard...none of this is once you decide you want it), but we don't want to, and so we choose something else. it doesn't choose us, we choose it. at least that's the way i see it happening the majority of the time in the best case scenario. also, i think if we elevate the level of the discussion somewhat by choosing better language, we can veer away from the pissing contests that we tend to get into with this topic. it's all just a matter of choice, dude...choice of profession, choice of words, etc.

and i think word choice is important if you are looking to connect with people via your point, rather than alienate them, which i assume you are. all simply my opinion. take care!

Maybe being able to "hack it" isn't the most politically correct way of putting it, but then saying "decided it wasn't for them" is sugarcoating it. Especially if you claim you enjoyed it and were good at it. Usually people who decide something isn't for them either don't like it or aren't too good at it so they decide to do something else. I suspect a significant number of people who end up in anesthesia really wanted to be surgeons but somewhere along the way convinced themselves of anesthesia and now use the "we work less hours/make good money/still get to be in the OR" to justify it. Nothing wrong with that, I often question it myself.

Misterioso said:
Maybe being able to "hack it" isn't the most politically correct way of putting it, but then saying "decided it wasn't for them" is sugarcoating it. Especially if you claim you enjoyed it and were good at it. Usually people who decide something isn't for them either don't like it or aren't too good at it so they decide to do something else. I suspect a significant number of people who end up in anesthesia really wanted to be surgeons but somewhere along the way convinced themselves of anesthesia and now use the "we work less hours/make good money/still get to be in the OR" to justify it. Nothing wrong with that, I often question it myself.

LOL Look if you want to go into surgery then by all means do so. I hope you are a great surgeon. What level are you again? M3? just curious

But Im not "sugarcoating" anything. There is so much more to being satisfied with life than work. I was good at it and I did enjoy it as a job. What I did not enjoy was how the rest of my life suffered as a result. I am typically a very active and social person. Not that year. I think I worked out twice that entire year.

One day you might have an understanding as to what Im talking about. But for now whatever decision you make good luck.

usnavdoc said:
LOL Look if you want to go into surgery then by all means do so. I hope you are a great surgeon. What level are you again? M3? just curious

But Im not "sugarcoating" anything. There is so much more to being satisfied with life than work. I was good at it and I did enjoy it as a job. What I did not enjoy was how the rest of my life suffered as a result. I am typically a very active and social person. Not that year. I think I worked out twice that entire year.

One day you might have an understanding as to what Im talking about. But for now whatever decision you make good luck.

Quit trying to defend yourself. You know what you got, so do I. Certainly don't sell it to people who don't feel the same way. This year's match class is going to result in a ton of people who are smart and love the gas, what a great thing for us and gas. We need people in surgery too, if flattering thier ego gets them to stay in it, flatter them.

Yes, you are super studs, please keep cutting so we can keep doing our thing.

One other thing. I have noticed some surgery preferring people come and make these "type" of posts here. Is there a surgery section on SDN? Do anesthesia types make similar posts over there?

That is all,
Scrubs

I wanted to be a Valentino Rossi, but I couldn't hack the umbrella girls and PR photo shoots.

valentino-rossi.jpg

I agree. Although Surgery folks might be seeking to switch sides of the curtain, I have a strong feeling the the other isn't true. And that is because most of us going into Gas have a fairly good idea of what Surgery is like, and why we strayed away, while the other folks didn't really take the time to get to know Gas, and NOW they might see the light (the light I saw anyhow). So no I don't think you will find many anesthesia types in the syrgery forums. Why, we don't have interest in it, or in changing peoples minds on it, we got better things to do like lift, go out, socialize, enjoy life, etc., etc.. Gas rocks, so happy I made the choice I did. La Pas.

Stillinscrubs said:
Quit trying to defend yourself. You know what you got, so do I. Certainly don't sell it to people who don't feel the same way. This year's match class is going to result in a ton of people who are smart and love the gas, what a great thing for us and gas. We need people in surgery too, if flattering thier ego gets them to stay in it, flatter them.

Yes, you are super studs, please keep cutting so we can keep doing our thing.

One other thing. I have noticed some surgery preferring people come and make these "type" of posts here. Is there a surgery section on SDN? Do anesthesia types make similar posts over there?

That is all,
Scrubs

Defend myself? lol not the point at all. Dont quite get where you are coming from. I simply restated what I had already said because he seemeed to misconstrue my intent.

Maybe others may have "settled" for anesthesia, but personally, I've found that real-time physio is more interesting than cutting, and stitching. One other thing to consider if you truly enjoy surgical procedures is a pain fellowship. I'd rather be doing an implantable nerve stimulator over a lap choley any day. Anyhow, anesthesia opens many doors, and you can further develop your passion for surgery (pain), or pursue one of the most cerebral/acute specialties out there (critical care), and if those don't fit, you still have other choices.
I posted this b/c it seems like a few people are saying that anesthesiologists are surgeon wanna-be's, that are afraid to sac up and do the time. On the contrary, I'd prolly carve out my own jugular after 2-3000 hernias, but can easily see myself still enjoying my job (gas) in,say, 30 years or so.

lvspro said:
I posted this b/c it seems like a few people are saying that anesthesiologists are surgeon wanna-be's, that are afraid to sac up and do the time.

Only in med school do people worry so much about what everyone else is doing to the point of making a comment like the above.

to the OP

I think many of us look at the lifestyle of residents who are surgeons or anesthesiologists,etc. A classmate of mine told me to do something which wasnt all that easily apparent at the time.

What you should be looking at is what the ATTENDINGS in the respective field do. Internal Med ATTENDINGS do not sit around and round on pts all day if they are in private practice w/o a residency. For the most part, they 'see' their pts PRN or do so 'quickly/thoroughly" (just remember as an attending w/o teaching responsibilities you do things 10000x as fast).

So yes, a lot of us going into anesthesiology hate rounding, enough said. but that's just a dumb reason in my opinion to go into anesthesiology. if you hate rounding so much, you can totally become a IM doc at a cush private hosp w/o a residnecy somewhere.

So....i guess my perspective to this discussion is, just look at what the attendings do and see if you like the field. There are tons of surgeons at many hosps that i've rotated at that were totally 9-5, were always GQ'd up, etc. So i mean if you really have the desire to do surgey and live 'comfy' it's still possible (as long as you dont go work at a academic center).

I think it's been mentioned a while baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack in this forum. Most of med students have this skewed perspective of the various fields because we have seen them for the most part ONLY in academic settings. You really need to dig deep to see how the unacademic practitioners carry out their jobs.

Having said all this, I have chosen to pursue anesthesiology....because I love how intellectual it is. I mean these guys are soooo tight on their physio. But also because I love doing things and seeing results QUICK. and a boatful of other reasons....

Reactions: 1 user
ThinkFast007 said:
There are tons of surgeons at many hosps that i've rotated at that were totally 9-5, were always GQ'd up, etc. So i mean if you really have the desire to do surgey and live 'comfy' it's still possible (as long as you dont go work at a academic center).

I've seen that too and that's why I'm skeptical when anybody claims they would have done surgery but their reason for not doing so is because surgeons work too much.

Misterioso said:
I've seen that too and that's why I'm skeptical when anybody claims they would have done surgery but their reason for not doing so is because surgeons work too much.

Hey baboso, just do surgery and stop asking why others don't like it or can't hack it. Not everyone gives a sh*it about it.

militarymd said:
I wanted to be a Valentino Rossi, but I couldn't hack the umbrella girls and PR photo shoots.

valentino-rossi.jpg

on a different note, is that you in your avatar military?

I went on a long hike over the long weekend which I had off. It was somrthing I hadn't gotten to do in a long, long time and I had forgotten how much I enjoy it. It totally rocked. Looks like I'll be going into gas because I can't imagine having to suffer through 5 years of gen surg with no time to myself,among other reasons. Thanks everyone for helping me make my decision.

policymaker said:
I went on a long hike over the long weekend which I had off. It was somrthing I hadn't gotten to do in a long, long time and I had forgotten how much I enjoy it. It totally rocked. Looks like I'll be going into gas because I can't imagine having to suffer through 5 years of gen surg with no time to myself,among other reasons. Thanks everyone for helping me make my decision.

Dont worry. I feel your pain. With about 25 hrs until the close of the ranking system, I'm still torn. I may let the match decide for me. What I do hate i the fact that out of my entire list, I cant find a negative aspect of any program. Now I'm starting to factor stupid things like, "what did we have for lunch" and "how hot were the nurses". i guess i should factor city, cost of living, etc, but i just liked everywhere. this ranking thing stinks. i wish i could see the future. maybe i'm actually a movie star.

Soon2BENT said:
Dont worry. I feel your pain. With about 25 hrs until the close of the ranking system, I'm still torn. I may let the match decide for me. What I do hate i the fact that out of my entire list, I cant find a negative aspect of any program. Now I'm starting to factor stupid things like, "what did we have for lunch" and "how hot were the nurses". i guess i should factor city, cost of living, etc, but i just liked everywhere. this ranking thing stinks. i wish i could see the future. maybe i'm actually a movie star.

You can never underestimate the importance of hot nurses and good food on your day to day quality of life.