Anesthesia Tech Training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noyac

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
we have had an anesthesia Tech for 10yrs. She is very good but never got certified. Is anyone aware of an online version of anesthesia Tech training?

Before anyone bags on the online training, I am very comfortable with her going this route since I have basically trained her myself. I just can't supply the certification.

Members don't see this ad.

So it used to be that there were two levels, technician (Cer.A.T.) and technologists (Cer.A.T.T.)

After two years of experience one could challenge the exam for the technician certification . After reviewing the site it appears that the technician is no longer being certified and only accredited/approved programs for the technologist are available. I am unsure if there are any purely online technologist programs but here is the site for further research.

The American Society of Anesthesia Technologists and Technicians - Approved Schools

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
we have had an anesthesia Tech for 10yrs. She is very good but never got certified. Is anyone aware of an online version of anesthesia Tech training?

Before anyone bags on the online training, I am very comfortable with her going this route since I have basically trained her myself. I just can't supply the certification.
What does it really matter if she is certified or not?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
All the 'qualifications' that I want in an anesthesia tech are
1. Good attitude
2. High school diploma with an IQ of 100
3. Willingness to learn and work hard

They don't need to be a technologist to help me in the OR. They don't need critical thinking ability or the capacity to diagnose and fix problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We looked into certifying ours a while back. The hospital didn't want to pay for it and they weren't going to offer any pay increase for certification, and didn't care if they were certified or not. We didn't care either way, so no need to torture them, and potentially make them more marketable for another job. ;)

--
Il Destriero

A technician keeps the drug drawer filled, keeps the anesthesia cart stocked, can set up a transducer, and make excellent gophers, but for the most part it escapes me why they need to be certified. It appears this is "certification creep"- the idea that some new board or educational body sets up a certification that costs $$$$$$ and results in overtraining a person for what is functionally menial position.

I think the only thing that might have actually changed with certification is that they can check blood products if they're certified. That might be an internal policy though.
We just check it with one of the nurses. Even in an ugly trauma it only takes a minute to check a few units and scribble a signature.

--
Il Destriero

I think the only thing that might have actually changed with certification is that they can check blood products if they're certified. That might be an internal policy though.
We just check it with one of the nurses. Even in an ugly trauma it only takes a minute to check a few units and scribble a signature.

--
Il Destriero
True and while I have used her on blocks and the like, her supervisor says she is not credentialed to assist with direct pt care tasks. I usually ignore her supervisor.
Basically, she is a single mom and would like to get a raise.

I recently learned that at our shop our techs were specifically not certified because it would have required liability insurance to be more involved in patient care.

Reactions: 1 user