Anesthesia to the rescue!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just want to see pictures of the setup.

Edit: spelling is hard

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really thought planes for international flights had BVMs along with O2 tanks. Now I gotta see this setup

I really thought planes for international flights had BVMs along with O2 tanks. Now I gotta see this setup
Sounds like they connected the non rebreather mask on top of the seats to an O2 tank.

Sounds like they connected the non rebreather mask on top of the seats to an O2 tank.

Yeah that’s what it sounds like. Media tends to not know our terminology so they may be over-dramatizing a bit better saying “ventilator”. Im not sure how you could McGyver a way to breath for someone with a bagging technique with airplane supplies.

It definitely was a good save and good PR for our field. They should show the system just for education sake.

Im not sure how you could McGyver a way to breath for someone with a bagging technique with airplane supplies.

Airplanes generally carry a big roll of heavy-duty duct tape, which is always a good start. I'd probably go with an accordion-like ventilator with hardback book covers or multiple layers of cardboard for the end plates and trash bag/raincoat cloth/duct tape sheet taped to the end plates for the bellows. Duct tape in the hose from the oxygen mask, which can also be taped to the patient's face if that's what it takes to get a good seal. Drill holes in the end plates and cover them with my thumbs for the intake and exhaust valves. Probably need somebody else to do CPR-type rescue breaths while I'm assembling the whole thing. Projects like this are why I miss the good old days when we could carry pocketknives on airplanes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thought they would have had a BVM as well or a pocket mask at the very least.

I went to a CE lecture about the whole "what to do on an airplane" thing and it doesn't surprise me that they don't have BVMs. There were plenty of stories of people wanting to simply take a blood pressure and the steth and cuff tubing disintegrated when removed from the rudimentary first aid kit. It seems like there's no strict requirement/regulation regarding what should be in a kit when it comes to commercial planes. A BVM would be nice to have and sort of a no brainier, but with the lack of attention all the medical equipment gets, it would probably just turn to dust when taken out of the kit. Def not gonna get a seal with crusty ole rubber, but it seems better than anything someone could MacGuyver.

I helped out a lady on a plane a couple of weeks ago who supposedly "passed out" There were absolutely no monitors on that plane. By the time I saw her, she was feeling better. She was pink and her pulse was good. But there was no may for me to check a BP or a pulse ox.

Using the makeshift ventilator to keep oxygen flowing into the woman’s lungs, the doctors – who both work at the same private practice in Florida – were able to keep the woman alive until the plane made an emergency landing in Fort Lauderdale 45 minutes later.

They weren’t the only passengers who leapt into action, either – many of the people surrounding the doctors prayed

:laugh::rofl:

Good point, it stands to reason that the FAA would have regs for it since they're so stringent about all things aviation. It's nice to see they require periodic testing and such, but I think the point still probably stands that the med kit is probably the least checked thing on the aircraft. With all the crap they have to restock and check and maintain, I would wager that whatever logs they keep for the kit are pencil whipped. But that's just going off of about a dozen case study type things from the presentation I saw.

Something seems off. JetBlue 1721 is from Orlando, to Montego Bay. That is a 60 minute flight. Orlando diverted to Ft. Lauderdale is out of the way, and passes many commercial airports. A direct flight between Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale is 70 minutes. If the diverted flight took 45 minutes, I wonder if Tampa, Melbourne, or Sarasota was closer.

Now, this is peripheral to the stud anesthesiologists. I ascribe it to the routine, inexact, doltish, ****ty work of journalists.

Something seems off. JetBlue 1721 is from Orlando, to Montego Bay. That is a 60 minute flight. Orlando diverted to Ft. Lauderdale is out of the way, and passes many commercial airports. A direct flight between Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale is 70 minutes. If the diverted flight took 45 minutes, I wonder if Tampa, Melbourne, or Sarasota was closer.

Now, this is peripheral to the stud anesthesiologists. I ascribe it to the routine, inexact, doltish, ****ty work of journalists.
Aviation's version of a PACU hold.