Anesthesia with only COMLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danthemahan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone who has applied to ACGME programs with only a COMLEX please list which programs were applied to?

I have searched Freida and identified several anesthesia programs that do not require the USMLE; however, after reading other posts on this forum, it appears other applicants in my same situation have applied to even more programs.

If you have gone this route, I'm curious which programs you applied to.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't do it, but a classmate did.

Do yourself a favor and take at least step 2. Step 1 if you can. If not you will be disadvantaged. Now is not the time to be disadvantaged.

I know my program wont even look at your application unless you have USMLE scores. This is a program with an assistant program director who is a DO that regularly accepts outstanding DO applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do yourself a favor and take at least step 2.

I have thought about this, but I'm not sure what advantage this would give me. Looking on Freida, all of the programs that want USMLE want Step 1. Any advice?

I’d definitely take it. I (very) luckily matched a few years back without the USMLE, but my interview options were extremely limited despite being a very competitive DO applicant (good class rank, good extracurriculars, well-known school, 95th percentile COMLEX). The first cut for the pile of applications unfortunately is often something objective and ‘apples-to-apples’, and that is the USMLE. While this has been shown to not correlate well with future resident performance, that is the world we live in. ACGME program directors don’t know how to (or don’t care to) interpret COMLEX scores. What’s an extra test when you’ve already come this far?

Do you recall which MD programs you applied to with only a COMLEX?

Unfortunately, it is too late for me to take Step 1, since studying for it coupled with rotations would likely yield a low score which would only hinder me. I'm simply going forward, and I'm trying to identify those programs which others have applied to with only a COMLEX.

I know our program required USMLEs, as others have said it’s the only way to directly compare the DO to MD applicants.

To better answer your question, look to upper classmen who are about go through the match and ask about any programs that will accept COMLEX only, you could also reach out to recent alumni as well.

I could very well be wrong, but I suspect only a few programs would consider you without USMLEs. If this is the case and you won’t take the tests, then I would recommend having a serious backup specialty just in case.

Unfortunately, it is too late for me to take Step 1.

No it's not, I took step 1 late 3rd year and did well. I went on 17 interviews and more than half of them told me that I wouldn't have been interviewed without it. Two places told me I wouldn't have been ranked without my step scores, and I asked why they would interview someone without ranking them and they said that audition rotations get an automatic interview. So be very careful with this.

There are solid and popular places that will interview you without USMLE, such as Kentucky and Cincinnati. But you have to ask yourself - how high will they rank you compared to 95% of your DO colleagues that took both USMLE steps? I know the answer to that but you have to decide for yourself.

Also, the classmate I referenced earlier applied to >80 programs with COMLEX scores in the 90th percentile. This netted her 6 interviews. She did 5 audition rotations, so I wonder how many of those are auto invites where she won't be seriously considered/ranked. Don't do this to yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Applying with only a COMLEX score (even a good one), is likely to yield very few interview invites. If you're serious about pursuing ACGME anesthesiology, then it's time to get serious about taking Step 1 and doing well on it.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you recall which MD programs you applied to with only a COMLEX?

Unfortunately, it is too late for me to take Step 1, since studying for it coupled with rotations would likely yield a low score which would only hinder me. I'm simply going forward, and I'm trying to identify those programs which others have applied to with only a COMLEX.
At a minimum shoot to take step 2 if you can. Look for programs that have historically taken DO’s and apply widely.

Can someone who has applied to ACGME programs with only a COMLEX please list which programs were applied to?

I have searched Freida and identified several anesthesia programs that do not require the USMLE; however, after reading other posts on this forum, it appears other applicants in my same situation have applied to even more programs.

If you have gone this route, I'm curious which programs you applied to.

Check back in a few weeks, I can give you better advice. I applied with only comlex, ~95% on both. applied 58, 21 invites, 14 interviews, 2 RTM emails both from mid tier major academic hospitals. Feel free to pm me.

Despite that, if you have the opportunity to take USMLE, you should.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Check back in a few weeks, I can give you better advice. I applied with only comlex, ~95% on both. applied 58, 21 invites, 14 interviews, 2 RTM emails both from mid tier major academic hospitals. Feel free to pm me.

Congrats on your success. You're the first I've heard to do that well with comlex only. For reference I scored ~85%ile on steps and applied 70/20 invites/17 interviews.