Anesthesiology Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J10sstar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm extremely interested in obtaining a residency in Anesthesiology. Are there any books I can read to get a grasp of what it's like to be an Anesthesiologist?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
NMS makes a pocket clincal manual for med students that is really straightforward and covers the basics. It's only about 10 bucks too. I don't know if it will give you an idea of what it's like to "be an anesthesiologist." I'd recommend approaching one of the residents or faculty about hanging out with them in the OR one day when you don't have class. Most won't mind. Read a little so you know the basics. You'll get more out of it.

J10sstar said:
I'm extremely interested in obtaining a residency in Anesthesiology. Are there any books I can read to get a grasp of what it's like to be an Anesthesiologist?

If you can't shadow an anesthesiologist in your huge amounts of spare time (smile), I recommend you frequent this board. It may give you a better idea than reading from the text.

i am at the end of my second year and have been researching anesthesiology as vigorously as time allows. shadowing and numerous conversations with residents and attendings has been priceless. ask all the tough questions about the cons of the profession as every profession has them. if you can deal with the cons then they pros become so much better.

one thing to realize though is that anesthesiology is not an easy field to appreciate from observation. when shadowing start your day early with the team and hang out into the late evening. try and expose yourself to the variety the field has to offer. if you are at the beginning of a heart case you can see the TEE, swan-ganz, etc being performed and you can watch the physiology change when they go on/off pump, etc. i would try and spend atleast 3 different days spread out at your convenience. one day in a heart case, one day in OB, and one day with regional procedures if possible.

talk to as many peeps as possible as everyone has a little different spin on their profession and why they went in to it.

Basics of Anesthesiology by Miller is great book that can give you glimps into the type of knowledge base you need, the equipment they use, and the procedures they perform. also you can use it for pharm (especially cardio).

good luck.

Hanging withthe anesthesiologists is important, but watching someone do anesthesia is nowhere near as cool as actually doing it.

If you want a book <$12.00, that is packed with great info... and will give you an insight into all aspects of the field I'd recommend Handbook of Anesthesia. This is a book that takes up hardly any space in my lab coat (something like 3.5"x6"x1/2") and it's a great quick referance text.

threepeas said:
i am at the end of my second year and have been researching anesthesiology as vigorously as time allows. shadowing and numerous conversations with residents and attendings has been priceless. ask all the tough questions about the cons of the profession as every profession has them. if you can deal with the cons then they pros become so much better.

one thing to realize though is that anesthesiology is not an easy field to appreciate from observation. when shadowing start your day early with the team and hang out into the late evening. try and expose yourself to the variety the field has to offer. if you are at the beginning of a heart case you can see the TEE, swan-ganz, etc being performed and you can watch the physiology change when they go on/off pump, etc. i would try and spend atleast 3 different days spread out at your convenience. one day in a heart case, one day in OB, and one day with regional procedures if possible.

talk to as many peeps as possible as everyone has a little different spin on their profession and why they went in to it.

Basics of Anesthesiology by Miller is great book that can give you glimps into the type of knowledge base you need, the equipment they use, and the procedures they perform. also you can use it for pharm (especially cardio).

good luck.

This is all very good advice. Dont forget that the field is alot of responsibility. You alone are managing all the pts medical problems and anethesia. There is no one else to quickly refer to and help you. Even attendings are covering more than one room and are not always accessible.

orbital

I also want to stress the importance of spending time in the OR behind the curtain. I did a few shadowing days during my 2nd year and it wasn't all that great. Partially because I didn't know anything, and partially because I didn't do anything. During my 3rd year I took two weeks and set up a rotation. It was so awesome. Getting in there and pushing the drugs, intubating, starting lines...it was wonderful. Real time, instant gratification physiology is so fun. I had a blast, and I would recommend it to anyone. On the book question, I have also found Basics of Anesthesia to be a good book. It is fairly readable and had all the info I needed for the rotation.

all good suggestions above,

i'd also recommend a nice essay by an anesthesia resident found in:

The Ultimate Guide To Choosing a Medical Specialty
by Brian Freeman, Brian Freeman (Paperback - December 19, 2003)

you don't necessarily have to buy it, but check it out at the local bookshop or medical bookstore. Has some interesting perspectives written by residents from just about every different field found in medicine and kinda fun to read.

just my $0.02,

:)

threepeas said:

good luck.
definitely good advice.

Not sure if i would have understood everything in Miller when I was a first year though. I really liked NMS because it gave you history and a lot of background information. Of course, it's NOT at all as close to providing you with great detail as some other textbooks.

good luck

Would Anesthesiology Review by Faust be good for a fourth year med student gunning in anesthesia? I already have baby Miiler, Handbook of Anesthesiology by Ezekiel, and Clinical Procedures of Mass general? Too much, or no?

threepeas said:

good luck.

This is exactly what I did as a student and I also read Miller's Basics of anesthesia book. I actually read it a couple of times and reviewed some of the chapters more then once. It's great advice. Good luck with your career choice.

Induc(junc)tion said:
Would Anesthesiology Review by Faust be good for a fourth year med student gunning in anesthesia? I already have baby Miiler, Handbook of Anesthesiology by Ezekiel, and Clinical Procedures of Mass general? Too much, or no?

you are kidding me right?

Listen, if you were serious about anesthesia.. The only book to read is BIG MILLER>. the 2 volume set.. so.. to answer your question. Not enough.. Get the two volume set.. ( and not the one on disc) and cart that around everywhere you go.. and read it

stephend7799 said:

Listen, if you were serious about anesthesia.. The only book to read is BIG MILLER>. the 2 volume set.. so.. to answer your question. Not enough.. Get the two volume set.. ( and not the one on disc) and cart that around everywhere you go.. and read it

No, I was not kidding. I figured that I would have some decent reading time, I might be able to get to it. I guess the three that I have should be sufficient. Just wanted to know if Faust is more a resident or student level book.

Induc(junc)tion said:

Gah.... Don't buy any more books! You already have enough. (By the end of my third year of med school, I'd managed to collect Baby Miller, NMS pocketbook and MGH.... more than enough. In fact, I haven't even read the bulk of Baby Miller yet -- even after the Match, I have only gotten to chapter 2!)

The only other book I needed to pull out for reference was..... BRS Physiology by Linda Constanzo. Yes, that board review book from your M-1 year.

It's just money down the drain... new editions come out all the time... when you match, your residency will most likely provide you with a book budget anyway. Don't spend any more money on anesthesia books -- you have more than enough for your fourth year electives.

I agree. Don't buy any more books. I got a very generous book allowance when I started residency--10x more than what I got for internship. You'll likely get one too. If you have a specific need for a book, use the library. Once you start residency and have the book money, buy books then. If you've truly exhausted the content of the books you have, then buy more, but what you've got should do you.

stephend7799 said:

Wow, Stephend!!!

The next question is, are you kidding or serious. Advising a medical student to read two volume big Miller for a few audition rotation is a little excessive. I've worked with 1st and 2nd year residents from UCI and USC that haven't even cracked the big Miller books yet. They were reading Clinical Anesthesiology by Morgan and McKail for their references at the time. Some might have used big Miller as reference material in their private studying time, but in the OR they all use Morgan and Mckail.

doc2b34 said:
Wow, Stephend!!!

The next question is, are you kidding or serious. Advising a medical student to read two volume big Miller for a few audition rotation is a little excessive. I've worked with 1st and 2nd year residents from UCI and USC that haven't even cracked the big Miller books yet. They were reading Clinical Anesthesiology by Morgan and McKail for their references at the time. Some might have used big Miller as reference material in their private studying time, but in the OR they all use Morgan and Mckail.

:rolleyes:

Man, I thought last years 4th years were uptight.
Dont wory Stephen, my sarcasm meter was intact and operational.

:thumbup:

Idiopathic said:
:rolleyes:

Man, I thought last years 4th years were uptight.
Dont wory Stephen, my sarcasm meter was intact and operational.

:thumbup:
I knew something was up. :idea: