Anesthesiology in China

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

solacecomes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with prehospital pain management in China or a similar country/area that does not allow the use of narcotics. If you were attending to a fractured femur, how would you deal with the pain management side of this without narcotics? I'm not looking for a detailed step-by-step analysis, just general principles.

Thanks! =)

To the moderators: this is a duplicate thread of the same question I asked in the Asia section of the forum - please close that one, if any.

Members don't see this ad.

solacecomes said:
I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with prehospital pain management in China or a similar country/area that does not allow the use of narcotics. If you were attending to a fractured femur, how would you deal with the pain management side of this without narcotics? I'm not looking for a detailed step-by-step analysis, just general principles.

Thanks! =)

To the moderators: this is a duplicate thread of the same question I asked in the Asia section of the forum - please close that one, if any.

One word. Acupuncture. :laugh: j/k (couldn't resist)

Members don't see this ad :)
China doesn't allow narcs for pain???? Mezami...holy cow...About every other Rx filled in our pharmacies in the U.S. is for Lortab or Percocet...

hadokenny said:
You'd be surprise how powerful acupuncture can be.

Really? I don't know too much about it. I'm kinda interested in learning a bit more though. Hopefully, there will be some more studies done.

I've spoken with a resident from china who swore up and down that he participated in surgies in china where the only anesthetic was acupunture. He said for a cholecystectomy you place two needles on each wrist, and that's it. :eek: Thank you I'll have the drugs please.

Nonsense. Of course Anesthesiologists use narcs in China. I mean why would not they???? I had an appy in China when I was young and I am sure I slept through the procedure.

heck, an anesthesiologist in China used nacrs to murder his wife four years ago.

TaiShan said:
Nonsense. Of course Anesthesiologists use narcs in China. I mean why would not they???? I had an appy in China when I was young and I am sure I slept through the procedure.

heck, an anesthesiologist in China used nacrs to murder his wife four years ago.

Well it's probably tough to murder your wife with acupunture. :laugh: No, I wasn't implying that they never use drugs, just that evidently there are some suprising situations where "alternative" methods are used. I don't know in what area of china the resident trained.

TaiShan said:

Hm, are you certain that it is legal to use narcotics for legal purposes in China? I am not certain as in I haven't actually asked a Chinese physician nor talked to a Chinese official. The source I have this information from, however, is both the primary orthopedic physician and risk-management director of a U.S. sports team that competes often in that area of the world. They've both been there on numerous occasions and that's what they've informed me. Are they lying or are the Chinese lying to them?

solacecomes said:
Hm, are you certain that it is legal to use narcotics for legal purposes in China? I am not certain as in I haven't actually asked a Chinese physician nor talked to a Chinese official. The source I have this information from, however, is both the primary orthopedic physician and risk-management director of a U.S. sports team that competes often in that area of the world. They've both been there on numerous occasions and that's what they've informed me. Are they lying or are the Chinese lying to them?

Are you sure he didn't just mean that they couldn't bring them into the country? If a Chinese doctor tried to bring narcotics into the US, I'm sure he'd be met with a little resistance. Of course, China has gone to war twice over its ban on opium, so maybe it's not that far of a stretch.

Andy15430 said:
Are you sure he didn't just mean that they couldn't bring them into the country? If a Chinese doctor tried to bring narcotics into the US, I'm sure he'd be met with a little resistance. Of course, China has gone to war twice over its ban on opium, so maybe it's not that far of a stretch.

Ah, you may be exactly right. Will ask for clarification. Thanks for the suggestion! =)