Anesthesiology Residency - Mayo Jax

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeeOhDoc

Reaction score
Greetings all,
I was hoping to get some feedback on what other people who interviewed here or from current and graduated residents thought about this program. I was planning on ranking them very high, but something doesn't sit well with me about the 1st year being run by the IM department with little input from the anesthesiology PD. Other programs seem to really incorporate anesthesia into their intern year and still allows interns to attend anesthesia events/didactics exc...
How is the intern year as far as workload, comradery and interactions with the anesthesia program?
Thank you for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings all,
I was hoping to get some feedback on what other people who interviewed here or from current and graduated residents thought about this program. I was planning on ranking them very high, but something doesn't sit well with me about the 1st year being run by the IM department with little input from the anesthesiology PD. Other programs seem to really incorporate anesthesia into their intern year and still allows interns to attend anesthesia events/didactics exc...
How is the intern year as far as workload, comradery and interactions with the anesthesia program?
Thank you for your input!
I wouldn't worry too much about a year of IM. You will have 3 yrs of anesthesiology training plus a fellowship if you wish to pursue one to master your craft. Since anesthesiology takes care of all comers, the extremes of age, Peds,OB, Cardiac,Neuro, Trauma, etc, being a good generalist prior to anesthesia training would be more important IMO, than any anesthesia training in PGY 1. My $.02.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't worry too much about a year of IM. You will have 3 yrs of anesthesiology training plus a fellowship if you wish to pursue one to master your craft. Since anesthesiology takes care of all comers, the extremes of age, Peds,OB, Cardiac,Neuro, Trauma, etc, being a good generalist prior to anesthesia training would be more important IMO, than any anesthesia training in PGY 1. My $.02.
Thank you for your input! I agree that the medicine is really important to learn. I think my concern lies more so in that I've heard the IM residents and PDs don't treat the anesthesia interns well and give them them a lot of work since they "only have to deal with this for one year." Just not my favorite learning environment and I've heard from other interns at other locations that their intern years were really great and they felt a part of the anesthesia residency throughout, rather than an outcast IM intern.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your input! I agree that the medicine is really important to learn. I think my concern lies more so in that I've heard the IM residents and PDs don't treat the anesthesia interns well and give them them a lot of work since they "only have to deal with this for one year." Just not my favorite learning environment and I've heard from other interns at other locations that their intern years were really great and they felt a part of the anesthesia residency throughout, rather than an outcast IM intern.
Understood. PG1 bites, pretty much for everyone. If you are working, you are learning. It's only 12 months and just one more thing to power through. I would prefer the better overall medical experience as you will be seeing these patients in the OR. Don't let others get in your head. Run your own race and be the best doc you can be. Good luck and best wishes whatever you decide to do.

Understood. PG1 bites, pretty much for everyone. If you are working, you are learning. It's only 12 months and just one more thing to power through. I would prefer the better overall medical experience as you will be seeing these patients in the OR. Don't let others get in your head. Run your own race and be the best doc you can be. Good luck and best wishes whatever you decide to do.
Thank you! I hope I can figure it out soon, ROL will be here before we know it!

I don't have any experience with match etc., just a 1st year, but I lived/worked in the Jax area, friend is orthopedic surgeon there, Mayo Jax is extremely respected and they run a tight ship. They get a lot of airlifts from many surrounding less-equipped hospitals, lots of research, etc. It is an enviable institution to be a part of, so much so that when I asked to shadow a physician there (even outside of surgery) my friend (lovingly) patted me on the head and told me they don't mess with premeds. Jacksonville is also a cool area, huge city with lots of diversity, hard to get bored.