ANESTHESIOLOGY vs SURGERY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JINX

MS IV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I am writing because I would like to hear your opinions about a concern of mine. I really enjoy Anesthesiology and Surgery. Prior to my anesthesiology rotation, I was total surgery residency. Then I completed my anesthesiology rotation where I got to do many procedures and realized that I would have a much nicer life, yes a life, compared to surgery residency. OH I should mention that I am also a woman.
Have any of you pondered the same questions about deciding a residency? How much are you allowed to perform during the first year and also as a CA-1? I spoke with many Anesthesiologists and they all love their profession, whereas almost all general surgeons are miserable. Do you agree? Typically what are your days and hours like while in residency?

I am really torn and would love to hear any of your comments or advice to help me determine between General Surgery vs Anesthesiology residency. Please don't say to write a pro vs con list, because I only end up using paper and at the end I am still torn.
Can anyone offer any advice??????
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

really was an easy decision for me.. Im an anesthesia attending..

If you love a relationship with your patients such as you have youown patients they come to YOU for a problem you fix it you see them in the office later then surgery is for you.

Anesthesiologists dont have their own patients unless you do pain management.. We are strictly consultants. we dont even have admitting priveleges we work in the OR and thats it.. I dont even have a prescription pad.

We are in the hospital the whole day.. Surgeons do a case and make rounds see patients in office hours refer from consultants etc.. they are like typical doctors.

OUr life is early morning.. see patients go off to sleep go home around 4 or 5. and thats about it.. take call every now and again.. Im not saying i dont like what i do Im just saying its two completely different fields with completely different ways of looking at things..

You are going to work your ass off in a general surgery residency.. alot of it will be scut work.. In anesthesia residency there is very little scutwork.. How can they scut you? keep you in the room all day. we do that anyway.. I guess they can send you to do all the post ops.. that would suck..or all the preops.. that would suck even more.. Just finding them is a feat in and of itself. so just keep plugging away. talk to as many people as possible.. They are both great fields.. another thing, the crnas are rapidly encroaching on our terriotory.. so thats another thing to consider.. Nobody will ever encroach onto the turf of the surgeon.. No paraprofessional that is. I mean i think its something like 13 states and counting that have opted out and the crnas do not require supervision from an anesthesiologist. I think the general surgeons are miserable now .. not because of the nature of the work because of the decreasing reimbursement.. the need to do a lot more cases to make less money then 10 years ago.. the rising cost of malpractice health insurance. etc...

"the crnas are rapidly encroaching on our terriotory.. so thats another thing to consider.. Nobody will ever encroach onto the turf of the surgeon.. No paraprofessional that is. I mean i think its something like 13 states and counting that have opted out and the crnas do not require supervision from an anesthesiologist."

Thank you for the inforamation about Anesthesiology. What states are the 13 states that have elected to only use CRNAs? I thought that there is still a shortage of Anesthesiologists.

How mush patient contact and rounds are the Anesthesiologists and critical care fellowships involved in? Typically what are they required to do? I am sorry for asking these questions, but I will not be able to complete critical care anesthesiology elective prior to applying to ERAS.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
"What states are the 13 states that have elected to only use CRNAs? I thought that there is still a shortage of Anesthesiologists..."

No states have elected to "only use CRNA's". The opt-out has to do with medicare reimbursement, not only using one provider for the entire state.
The following 13 states have opted-out:

Washington
North Dakota
Kansas
New Mexico
New Hampshire
Minnesota
Idaho
Nebraska
Iowa
Alaska
Oregon
Montana
South Dakota

Supposedly, Colorado is close to opting-out next (I doubt it).

coccygodynia said:
"What states are the 13 states that have elected to only use CRNAs? I thought that there is still a shortage of Anesthesiologists..."

No states have elected to "only use CRNA's". The opt-out has to do with medicare reimbursement, not only using one provider for the entire state.

Washington
North Dakota
Kansas
New Mexico
New Hampshire
Minnesota
Idaho
Nebraska
Iowa
Alaska
Oregon
Montana
South Dakota

I am little confused about this CRNA vs. Anesthesilogits issues.............does it mean that in these 13 states CRNAs are in direct competition with anesthesiologists. In other words, does it mean that in these 13 states, in the extereme cases the State can use the services of CRNAs EXCLUSIVELY without the need for an MD anesthesiologists?????

thats correct

coccygodynia said:

Washington
North Dakota
Kansas
New Mexico
New Hampshire
Minnesota
Idaho
Nebraska
Iowa
Alaska
Oregon
Montana
South Dakota

Montana opted-in effective 5/2/05. This was reported in the ASA Newsletter, June 2005 http://www.asahq.org/Newsletters/2005/06_05/stateBeat06_05.html

Justin4563 said:
thats correct

Thanks Justin for your reply. Let me clarify something..........so in theory is it palusible that other states would follow the footsteps of these 13 states, and anesthesiologists would have to look for alternate careers to make money or work at the compensation level of CRNAs?

JINX said:
Hello Everyone,
I am writing because I would like to hear your opinions about a concern of mine. I really enjoy Anesthesiology and Surgery. Prior to my anesthesiology rotation, I was total surgery residency. Then I completed my anesthesiology rotation where I got to do many procedures and realized that I would have a much nicer life, yes a life, compared to surgery residency. OH I should mention that I am also a woman.
Have any of you pondered the same questions about deciding a residency? How much are you allowed to perform during the first year and also as a CA-1? I spoke with many Anesthesiologists and they all love their profession, whereas almost all general surgeons are miserable. Do you agree? Typically what are your days and hours like while in residency?

I am really torn and would love to hear any of your comments or advice to help me determine between General Surgery vs Anesthesiology residency. Please don't say to write a pro vs con list, because I only end up using paper and at the end I am still torn.
Thanks

I will be in your shoes in about a year when I have to choose between the two. I LOVE surgery, but I don't want to be miserable, and my experience has been that many, but not all, general surgeons are very unhappy. I, too, would be very unhappy if I had to work and train that long only to be reimbursed much less than before and sued on the side and not have a life outside of medicine. I think personally speaking that if I could get into a more accomodating surgical specialty such as urology or orthopedics (although it may not be that accomodating but the money is a lot better) I would probably choose them over anesthesiology. However, I doubt that I can, thus I am leaning very heavily towards anesthesiology because I love the OR, I love procedures, I love having money, and I love to have a life outside of medicine. The CRNA thing does bother me, but every field has pluses and minuses. Also when it comes to general surgery, many other surgical fields are encroaching on the turf. I think that's also why the surgical subspecialties are more appealing, they have a greater job security. I find it kind of humerous that we see so many unhappy general surgeons around and so many happy anesthesiologists around and yet we cannot make up our minds. It's almost like sheep to the slaughter knowing full well what lies ahead. Good luck, I feel your dilemma.

I hope all is well for everyone in the forum. I am a fourth year medical student at a school in the southeast and am an avid reader of the info on the Anesthesiology Forum because I am considering Anesthesiology as a career.

I recently completed a rotation in Anesthesia and LOVED it-- I liked being in the OR, doing procedures, the short but rewarding relationships with patients, the technology (all the gizmos and gadgets), the instant gratification gained from the wonders of pharmacology, etc......

However, I feel desparately confused about the future-- given the fact that the baby boomers are getting older Medicare/Medicaid is going to feel a pinch due to the rising cost of health care and the increased demand for healthcare services from the public-- Now my question is where you guys see Anesthesiology going (given the amazing new technology that has made anesthesia increasingly safe over the past few years) and given the issue of CRNAs (I am sorry to bring up the CRNA issue-- I have read about it extensively on this site, but feel compelled to bring it up again given what is written above about CRNAs "opting out" in some states)? Also, do you guys feel concerned about the possibility of CRNAs gaining more rights to practice alone given the technology that has made anesthesia so safe in recent years? In addition, is the Anesthesiology professional organization working on some laws that will make the future for MD anesthesiologist brighter (in terms of job security, namely the CRNA thing (sorry for bringing that up again)? Thanks

Desparate and Confused in the South East

proman said:
Montana opted-in effective 5/2/05. This was reported in the ASA Newsletter, June 2005 http://www.asahq.org/Newsletters/2005/06_05/stateBeat06_05.html

Politicians are so fickle ... As of June 16, 2005, Gov. Schweitzer opted back in. So Montana is an opt-out state. I also forgot to add North Dakota to that list. A total of 14 states have opted-out. I'm sure the number's will continue to change ... :rolleyes:

dr dr said:
Thanks Justin for your reply. Let me clarify something..........so in theory is it palusible that other states would follow the footsteps of these 13 states, and anesthesiologists would have to look for alternate careers to make money or work at the compensation level of CRNAs?

correctomundo... that is the jist of it... the asa dropped the ball big time on this one..

rs2006 said:
I hope all is well for everyone in the forum. I am a fourth year medical student at a school in the southeast and am an avid reader of the info on the Anesthesiology Forum because I am considering Anesthesiology as a career.

I recently completed a rotation in Anesthesia and LOVED it-- I liked being in the OR, doing procedures, the short but rewarding relationships with patients, the technology (all the gizmos and gadgets), the instant gratification gained from the wonders of pharmacology, etc......

However, I feel desparately confused about the future-- given the fact that the baby boomers are getting older Medicare/Medicaid is going to feel a pinch due to the rising cost of health care and the increased demand for healthcare services from the public-- Now my question is where you guys see Anesthesiology going (given the amazing new technology that has made anesthesia increasingly safe over the past few years) and given the issue of CRNAs (I am sorry to bring up the CRNA issue-- I have read about it extensively on this site, but feel compelled to bring it up again given what is written above about CRNAs "opting out" in some states)? Also, do you guys feel concerned about the possibility of CRNAs gaining more rights to practice alone given the technology that has made anesthesia so safe in recent years? In addition, is the Anesthesiology professional organization working on some laws that will make the future for MD anesthesiologist brighter (in terms of job security, namely the CRNA thing (sorry for bringing that up again)? Thanks

Hi desperate and confused in the south east:

The asa does not do shat.. thats why I am an attending and i refuse to give them my money. They totally gave the profession to the crnas on a silver platter and they crnas said thank you very much and they are growing and growing and becoming more autonomous. they stick together, they help each other out professionally they have one voice and they lobby like crazy. The asa makes life for residents more difficult, they make more rules and more rules, they increase the price of the board exam, they make it more and more difficult to pass these exams, they are not education friendly. Its all about the benjamins with the asa. and you know what.. for me its all about the benjamins thats why i dont join. the only laws they are coming up with is more hoops to jump through.. now they came out with maintenance of certification.. just more hoops to jump through.. the recertification exam is easy as **** now but when i take it in 8 years.. it probably wont be.. there will be a 20 percent faill rate.. thats what they do in their offices.. they think their own is the enemy and they make practice increasingly more difficult

SOrry about that rant.

If you like anesthesia, its a good fit.. do a residency in it. For me, it fit like a glove and I enjoy anesthesia . I hate the people who run it.. I dont know what it will be like in 20 years honestly. I will be in my prime then. BUt i can tell you this much, crnas will have a lot more power then they do now.. so if you want something that you enjoy go into anesthesia but i can tell you that their are crna encroaching on the territory of the anesthesiologist.. I have to go watch entourage now

Members don't see this ad :)
rs2006 said:

Hi desperate and confused in the south east:

The asa does not do shat.. thats why I am an attending and i refuse to give them my money. They totally gave the profession to the crnas on a silver platter and they crnas said thank you very much and they are growing and growing and becoming more autonomous. they stick together, they help each other out professionally they have one voice and they lobby like crazy. The asa makes life for residents more difficult, they make more rules and more rules, they increase the price of the board exam, they make it more and more difficult to pass these exams, they are not education friendly. Its all about the benjamins with the asa. and you know what.. for me its all about the benjamins thats why i dont join. the only laws they are coming up with is more hoops to jump through.. now they came out with maintenance of certification.. just more hoops to jump through.. the recertification exam is easy as **** now but when i take it in 8 years.. it probably wont be.. there will be a 20 percent faill rate.. thats what they do in their offices.. they think their own is the enemy and they make practice increasingly more difficult

SOrry about that rant.

If you like anesthesia, its a good fit.. do a residency in it. For me, it fit like a glove and I enjoy anesthesia . I hate the people who run it.. I dont know what it will be like in 20 years honestly. I will be in my prime then. BUt i can tell you this much, crnas will have a lot more power then they do now.. so if you want something that you enjoy go into anesthesia but i can tell you that their are crna encroaching on the territory of the anesthesiologist.. I have to go watch entourage now

JINX said:
Hello Everyone,

Thanks
surgeons cure cancer, anesthesiologists dont

Justin4563 said:
really was an easy decision for me.. Im an anesthesia attending..

If you love a relationship with your patients such as you have youown patients they come to YOU for a problem you fix it you see them in the office later then surgery is for you.

Anesthesiologists dont have their own patients unless you do pain management.. We are strictly consultants. we dont even have admitting priveleges we work in the OR and thats it.. I dont even have a prescription pad.

We are in the hospital the whole day.. Surgeons do a case and make rounds see patients in office hours refer from consultants etc.. they are like typical doctors.

OUr life is early morning.. see patients go off to sleep go home around 4 or 5. and thats about it.. take call every now and again.. Im not saying i dont like what i do Im just saying its two completely different fields with completely different ways of looking at things..

You are going to work your ass off in a general surgery residency.. alot of it will be scut work.. In anesthesia residency there is very little scutwork.. How can they scut you? keep you in the room all day. we do that anyway.. I guess they can send you to do all the post ops.. that would suck..or all the preops.. that would suck even more.. Just finding them is a feat in and of itself. so just keep plugging away. talk to as many people as possible.. They are both great fields.. another thing, the crnas are rapidly encroaching on our terriotory.. so thats another thing to consider.. Nobody will ever encroach onto the turf of the surgeon.. No paraprofessional that is. I mean i think its something like 13 states and counting that have opted out and the crnas do not require supervision from an anesthesiologist. I think the general surgeons are miserable now .. not because of the nature of the work because of the decreasing reimbursement.. the need to do a lot more cases to make less money then 10 years ago.. the rising cost of malpractice health insurance. etc...

Sorry but this guy is not an attending. Look at this post earlier from the Pre-Allo. He "says" he just finished residency but I think he has never been in medical school.

Justin4563 said:
this is my altruistic advice to all pre meds out there.. from the bottom of my heart.. really.. consider doing someting else... I just finished my residency and I cannot tell you how badly i want the last ten years of my life back. They have been the absolutely the worst years of my life. I have seen the worst of humanity the greed the dissention the back stabbing. The sheer lack of respect for fellow human beings. The loneliness of studying, the long hours, lack of sleep lack of respect among colleagues and everyone. and it does not end. it gets worse. and it does not even pay.. did you hear that.. The insurers dont even respect you enough for all that you have been through, and given up in your life to respect you enough to pay you for what youve been through.. You will make a whopping 90-100 k per year if you choose a primary care field. and if you are lucky can double that if you bust your ass in a surgical subspecialty... plus the health risks, the amount of money that is owed, if any of you say.. its not the money.. you will seee.. you will see what i mean..

More information has come out about Justin as Medikit points out here. This is Justin's long history of lies.

Medikit said:
I did a little research and found out that in 2001 the OP claimed to be an anesthesiology resident and loving it. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=260755#post260755

However in that same year he tells numerous pre-meds to get out while they can. Interestingly enough the OP claims to be a 3rd year resident in May of 2001: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=160892#post160892 , and stays true to this dateline and says that he is a 4th year resident in September of that year: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=139932#post139932

In this post the OP claims that he just finished his residency.
Now, maybe there are anesthesiology residencies that last 7 years, but I can't seem to find any.

More inconsistencies:

Here the OP claims to have just taken the USMLE step 3 in 2002: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=266156#post266156

Here the OP claims to be finishing an anesthesiology residency in May of 2002: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=261076#post261076

Here in 2003 the OP claims to be accepted to a Tufts residency: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=651019#post651019

And here the OP says he just moved to Cleveland (Tufts is not in Cleveland): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=846654#post846654

Apparently the OP becomes an Anesthesiology resident in Cleveland: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=975430#post975430

But then the OP is wondering about LA: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=1162707#post1162707

But in 2004 the OP finished his residency in New Jersey!: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=1589083#post1589083

Or is he? Later that year the OP is just finishing his residency:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=1652360#post1652360

2 months later and the OP is a new attending, relating a story of another student's disillusionment with medicine:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=1876950#post1876950

Nice detective work, GPAC.

Any rebuttal? That old "reputation" thingy is on the line, Justin.

Anyone here remember Tenesma, an anesthesiologist, force womansurg into SDN retirement with the brain death debate? Good times!

dc

How 'bout ya, Justin4563???

I tell ya, this is why I read this forum - good debate with accountability. Big ups to the all the forum elders (JetProp, UTSW, BigDan, VentDep, et. al.) who keep this thing on an even keel. Y'all are doing a wonderful job educatin' the newbies (including myself).

GPAC, strong investigative work!

there are no inconsistencies in any of my post anyone who thinks so just plain dont know jack.. ok and im not an attending im just a plain old trash collector who has been posting on here for like 3 years.. gimme a break

Justin4563 is a CRNA who consistently tries to make those in this forum believe that anesthesia is not the way to go. He constantly brings up the issue to dissuade many of us applying from doing so.

He knows the ASA is fighting hard for us and he knows that is not good for CRNAs.
I am currently doing an anesthesia clerkship and, after working with CRNAs I have come to realize that they really are not up to par to an MD knowledge wise. Everytime I have gotten pimped by the attending and the CRNA is standing by me, they just pretend they are doing something and avoid all pimping. One of them even looked at me like I was speaking chinese when I asked her about hepatic extraction ratios and such.

So knowing what I know now, I do not feel threatened at all and I encourage all of you to pursue anesthesia and support the ASA.

toughlife said:
Justin4563 is a CRNA who consistently tries to make those in this forum believe that anesthesia is not the way to go. He constantly brings up the issue to dissuade many of us applying from doing so.

I am currently doing an anesthesia clerkship and, after working with CRNAs I have come to realize that they really are not up to par to an MD knowledge wise. Everytime I have gotten pimped by the attending and the CRNA is standing by me, they just pretend they are doing something and avoid all pimping. One of them even looked at me like I was speaking chinese when I asked her about hepatic extraction ratios and such.

So knowing what I know now, I do not feel threatened at all and I encourage all of you to pursue anesthesia and support the ASA.

I agree that "his" posts aren't consistent, but what is it that makes you think "he's" a CRNA?

Just curious.

Willamette

Justin4563 said:
there are no inconsistencies in any of my post anyone who thinks so just plain dont know jack.. ok and im not an attending im just a plain old trash collector who has been posting on here for like 3 years.. gimme a break

Why don't you explain the inconsistencies I found one-by-one instead of simply denying them?

Why don't you explain this incosistency to me:

In May of 2001 you claim to have gone to medical school in Iowa: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=262693#post262693

Later that month you ask if anyone knows anything about the university of Kentucky where a "friend" of yours got in:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=117484#post117484

Apparently Kentucky made quite an impression on you because suddenly you went to medical school there at the University of Louisville!:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=139937#post139937

Or was it the University of Kentucky, the one you were asking about 2 years earlier? Does that even make sense? Can you make sense of this for us?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=805788#post805788

Justin4563 said:

You are right. You finished your residency in 2001, 2002, 2004 and 2005. This year after his 4th completion of residency, he is an attending within months. Jumps from one residency program to another.

Medikit found all this lies and he doesn't even defend himself.

GPACfan said:
You are right. You finished your residency in 2001, 2002, 2004 and 2005. This year after his 4th completion of residency, he is an attending within months. Jumps from one residency program to another.

Medikit found all this lies and he doesn't even defend himself.[/QUO

I am chief crna at the mayo clinic.. I want everyone to be a crna...

No seriously, whether you agree with me or not.. i dont care. I am an attending first year out and all i was saying was that the anesthesiologist nationwide group (american society of anestheisiologist) "DROPPED THE FUKKING BALL" for solely greed purposes... 13 states use crnas ( not needing supervision).. where do you think its heading next.. we cant close the barn door after the horse is out.. we have to salvage our specialty and we cant do it by bashing one another and putting each other down and making things difficult for each other.. we have to do it by sticking together.
The argument that the aana uses is that they say something like 30 percent of anesthesiolgist are not board certified.. yet all of the crnas are board certified.. SO lets get these 30 percent certified... go out of your way to do it.. dont make it hard on them.. I dont blame the crnas.. **** if i was doing all of the anesthesiolgist work while he or she was golfing and came in at five to sign all the charts I would want to take over too. Those guys are long gone now.. they made their one million dollar salaries for years.. and we are left with what they left us... CRNAS who are seriously giving us a run for our money.. and you can bash me all you want and call me a liar etc.. but this is the truth and this is where your dues money is going to..

Well, isn't that interesting.

Just got out of my room. Pretty damn fun day but still overwhelming.

I'll look into these posts once I'm done lifting later. If things really are this inconsistent then I'll bring it up with the Admins. That would be incredibly lame (my adjective lexicon is suffering as of late) waste of time having read those posts if its true. Oh well.

Venty

VentdependenT said:
Well, isn't that interesting.

Just got out of my room. Pretty damn fun day but still overwhelming.

I'll look into these posts once I'm done lifting later. If things really are this inconsistent then I'll bring it up with the Admins. That would be incredibly lame (my adjective lexicon is suffering as of late) waste of time having read those posts if its true. Oh well.

Venty

Nothing like an impersonator misleading pre-meds, med students, and residents about our profession. Dude needs to do some explaining, especially after all the posts about the ASA dropping the ball, debating with us real dudes about how to do a case, etc.
How 'bout it, Justin?
If you can't explain all the inconsistencies then you need to leave this site and start posting on womensstretchingclasses.com.

i did not tell anyone how to do a case.. on how I would do a case.. oh yeah and im an imposter..

Justin4563 said:
i did not tell anyone how to do a case.. on how I would do a case.. oh yeah and im an imposter..

Dude, go back to your www.allnurses.com forum where you belong. You dream of being an attending but you aren't cuz you are a nurse. :laugh:

Justin4563 said:

How do you explain all the discrepencies with your posts? Please stop just denying this issue and explain yourself.

toughlife said:
Dude, go back to your www.allnurses.com forum where you belong. You dream of being an attending but you aren't cuz you are a nurse. :laugh:

Easy on the nurses bro. They're an IMPORTANT part of this whole shindig. Plus, you think you have a "toughlife" now, try getting on their bad side. Not pretty. Not pretty at all.

Willamette

jetproppilot said:
How do you explain all the discrepencies with your posts? Please stop just denying this issue and explain yourself.

Nuff said already don't you think.

Thanks for the complete misrepresentation and for those that pointed it out. I don't get it but this is the internet and folks have to get their jollies out somehow. To bad its BS'ing a bunch of people interested in anesthesiology on an anonymous chat forum.

IGNORE function works fine.

Willamette said:
Easy on the nurses bro. They're an IMPORTANT part of this whole shindig. Plus, you think you have a "toughlife" now, try getting on their bad side. Not pretty. Not pretty at all.

Willamette

Doesn't worry me in the least.

toughlife said:

Not trying to hijack the post because its kinda intresting to see someone get busted on a public forum, but what is your deal with the constant crying about nurses?

im really a crna with the mayo clinic in rochester minnesota.. Im interested in going back to osteopathic medical school then do an anesthesia residency and THEN become an anesthesia attending.. IS this doable? anyone?

Guys-

This is the best forum 'cause we're objective and respectful. Let's hear this guy out.

But Vent - precedent has been set - MANY others have been banned for trolling. I request action if things remain askew.

Let's hear it, Justin.

dc

Justin4563 said:
Really??
Justin4563 said:
always.. always check to see if you have a patent airway. as jet pointed out.. the operative word is patent... even in mac sedation cases .. if you dont see ent tidal co2 you DO NOT have a patent airway and badness will shortly ensue..... after you pull the LMA out deep (always for me).. put an airway in and make sure you have a patent airway before going to recovery room.. you can bring the patient to recovery still sleeping but just mnake sure that airway is patent.. after you transfer to stretcher.. in the hallway... in the pacu... I dont care if you use supplemental o2 for the transfer. but just make sure the airway is patent......... everything else pales in comparison..

Justin4563 said:
im really a crna with the mayo clinic in rochester minnesota.. Im interested in going back to osteopathic medical school then do an anesthesia residency and THEN become an anesthesia attending.. IS this doable? anyone?
I don't know about your profession (what ever it really is, trolling maybe) but I know that medical schools, residency programs take honesty pretty seriously.

Why would you discourage pre-meds from going into medicine, med students from going into anesthesiology when you have no idea about either?

bigdan said:
Guys-

This is the best forum 'cause we're objective and respectful. Let's hear this guy out.

But Vent - precedent has been set - MANY others have been banned for trolling. I request action if things remain askew.

Let's hear it, Justin.

dc

I agree with bigdan. I have spent way too much time reading this guy's posts under the premise that he is currently an anesthsia attending. He has been involved in virtually every controversial discussion on this forum in the past few months. If he's a troll he needs to be banned, but he should at least get a fair shake if he bothers to explain his actions and the motives behind them. If he doesn't, let's give him a trial by fire or make him run the gauntlet to see if he's legit. :D

As for me, I will be utilizing the "ignore" function for now.

I have been following some of these posts too. Sure sucks to be misled but I guess it is expected of anonymous internet to some extent. I think plenty of chances have been offered for the guy to explain rather than deny, and SDN should assert its commitment to a basic level of posting integrity and get rid of the liar because pre-meds are less equipped to sort out the bullsh1t than senior med students and residents.

The mods can tell us where he is posting from....if he is posting from minnesota, then we'll know he is telling the truth about him being at Mayo..maybe.

He sure talks the talk, doesn't he?

I'm curious - does what he writes appear to suggest he has some familiarity with the field. I'm not an MDA either (if in fact he's not), but it does appear to me that he trades technical knowledge with the best of you.

judd

With all due respect to all the anesthesiologists who read this forum and not to be disrespectful to anyone here, I would be extremely grateful if someone (hopefully an MDA attending) could give me some input which could help me with my career choice. Thank you very much...................................

Sorry, there, rs; we'll return to your question is just a second.

Regarding our quest for knowledge, I did a bit of a search (yea yea -too much time on my hands, blah blah blah) that reveals only one "Justin D." licensed as an RN in Minnesota, and that person is not licensed as an advanced practitioner in nursing, for what it's worth.

dc

rs2006 said:
With all due respect to all the anesthesiologists who read this forum and not to be disrespectful to anyone here, I would be extremely grateful if someone (hopefully an MDA attending) could give me some input which could help me with my career choice. Thank you very much...................................

You're asking questions that no one can answer for you. You have pointed the concerns you have over the future of anesthesiologists, and they're valid to a certain extent. You have pointed out why you enjoy anesthesia.

What you choose is going to be a balance of what you are willing to accept as trade offs....financial security vs doing what you enjoy.....We, the attendings of SDN..jet, me, ut, etc...cannot answer that for you.

Others can comment on that also.

militarymd said:
The mods can tell us where he is posting from....if he is posting from minnesota, then we'll know he is telling the truth about him being at Mayo..maybe.

He sure talks the talk, doesn't he?

Looks like NY. Follows suit. I think this one's in the bag.

Got a bell's ale that needs some attention.

militarymd said:
You're asking questions that no one can answer for you. You have pointed the concerns you have over the future of anesthesiologists, and they're valid to a certain extent. You have pointed out why you enjoy anesthesia.

What you choose is going to be a balance of what you are willing to accept as trade offs....financial security vs doing what you enjoy.....We, the attendings of SDN..jet, me, ut, etc...cannot answer that for you.

Others can comment on that also.

I concur with Military. I've posted several long posts on this issue so if you wish, you can click on my screenname and search my posts for my replies. We've beaten the CRNA/MD topic to death here and I feel I've commented on it enough. Good luck.

VentdependenT said:
Looks like NY. Follows suit. I think this one's in the bag.

Got a bell's ale that needs some attention.

OK , Justin....who and what are you? Give it up.

Obviously you're not in Minnesota/Mayo, and obviously you are not in New Jersey, so let's have the truth.

Sounds like Justin just got PUNKED! Justin, Homey say you be OWNED! ---Zippy

juddson said:
I'm curious - does what he writes appear to suggest he has some familiarity with the field. I'm not an MDA either (if in fact he's not), but it does appear to me that he trades technical knowledge with the best of you.

judd

I've reread his posts....any good anesthesia tech could have posted what he posted.